Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 04:55 AM   #1

Econ 101

Hmmm.
Background: Housing is off - subprimes and all that, holiday retail started good on black friday then cooled a bit, Bush theoretically has a plan for the subprimes, banks are having to write down some significant losses, but the Dow hasn't tanked and some of the non-housing non-bank numbers still look ok, but the fed may drop rates again and that has historically pushed the dollar down with respect to the euro, soooo...

What will the coming year bring for Porsche prices in general, and Boxster prices in specific, on new cars? Does PNA cut amenities to hold price? Is there enough margin on a box to absorb part of the currency fluctuation? Any changes on used box prices? (There seem to be plenty out there).

The floor is open for discussion...

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:19 AM   #2

I am not in the market for a boxster, so I cannot comment on that specifically, but regarding cayenne's, the buying market is incredible. I have been looking for a couple of weeks, and am in no rush to buy, but wow, it is tempting.

Almost all the cars for sale are 6-10 thousand less than blue book retail and a lot of sellers are tossing in warranty to make the sale. It seems VERY soft.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #3

Smile

Lots of variables, no one knows for sure.

However, 2007 Boxster sales have been off 50% from last year. So, if you are looking for a leftover Box, you seem to be in the drivers seat.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I doubt that it will effect new car sales very much, if at all. If you going to be buying a new $60k+ Porsche, the economy isn't going to affect your decision to much, and Porsche might just make their yearly price hike a bit higher to cover the dollar value loss.
With used Boxsters, in the $30k and below range, the market will probably be affected. As the subprime and ARM loans get higher interest rates, people will have less money to spend in general, and a Porsche won't be on the top of their list. So prices will go down.

You can never really know what will happen until it happens.
Just my opinion!
Old 12-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #5

Well Porsche made three times trading their options than they did selling cars. BILLIONS!!! "Porshce the hedge fund that sells cars on the side"
That's so nuts I can't even believe so much good fortune could come to a bunch of guys that think they are doing you a favor selling you one of their cars.
Not only are they still the most profitable car company in the world, they have also outperformed 99% of the hedge funds. Double whammy of dinero for one year.
New historic model is coming out soon which will no doubt sell well as the brand is as hot as it has ever been. The Boxster had its day in the sun and now its back to the traditional fringe sports car sector of two seaters: They aren't the most popular cars in any company line up. Honda a ginormous car company in comparison to Porsche has actually sold fewer S2000's (an EXCELLENT car by any sports car standard) than Porsche has sold Boxsters in any year. People want a back seat.

I'm looking at 996 C4s and CaymanS's. In a perfect world I would have all three at once. But for space reasons I'll have to settle for just two. But thos second hand Maserati Gran Sports look tempting maybe for just one year. No need to buy new with such great bargains rolling around.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-07-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #6

While Boxster numbers are down, Cayman/ Cayman S sales have somewhat contributed to the decline of Boxster sales, particularly the Boxster S. Several dealerships would not even order a 2008 Boxster S for me, although of course, I eventually found a dealership that would. While there may not be a shortage of special edition Boxster S's, with 1,960 Boxster RS 60 S's starting to arrive in March of 2008, a selection of non-silver colored 2008 Boxster S's is relatively difficult to find, in comparison to a Cayman/ Cayman S. So, it is not just a matter of the economy, the dollar, etc., but also of dealer ordering preferences, as to what they believe they will be able to sell.
vincesf

Last edited by vincesf; 12-07-2007 at 10:28 AM.
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
However, 2007 Boxster sales have been off 50% from last year. So, if you are looking for a leftover Box, you seem to be in the drivers seat.
Good luck.
Can you let me know where you got that sales data from? The data I have doesn't show that much of a decline and I want to make sure my source has it right.

You are correct about being in the drivers seat on the purchase of a leftover
Old 12-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball
Can you let me know where you got that sales data from? The data I have doesn't show that much of a decline and I want to make sure my source has it right.

You are correct about being in the drivers seat on the purchase of a leftover

Just read that on Fortune mag online. Latest article on hot and not so hot cars.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #9

The only thing I found at Fortune online was this video, which gives some good insight to the original poster's question:
http://money.cnn.com/video/ft/#/video/business/2007/07/12/fortune.global.500.porsche.cnn

I did find a Forbes article, which says Boxster sales are down 21.5%:
http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/30/cars-sales-year-forbeslife-cx_bh_1130worstcars_slide_8.html?thisSpeed=30000

21% is along the lines of the data I have.

Not trying to nit-pick, just trying to verify my data as I have some analysis to complete for the 'real world' and I didn't want to be completely off the mark.

And in answer to the original question, if Porsche likes to keep their margins above 19%, they'll clearly have to do something about the Boxster - Limit production, spice the car up with a limited edition, or drop it from the line. It looks like the first two options is where Porsche is headed for now.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #10

"Helped by the major revamp for 2005, Boxster sales had climbed from 3,513 in 2004 to 8,327 for the 2005 calendar year. But with the new Cayman sitting next to it in Porsche showrooms, Boxster volume shrank to 4,858 for calendar 2006. Cayman, meanwhile, recorded a healthy 7,320 sales for calendar 2006. "

© Porsche7. Porsche Boxster
January to October '07 sales: 3,148
Vs. January to October '06: Down 21.5%

Correct, down 21.5% from last year. Down from 8327 in 2005 to 3148 in 2007.

Anyway you look at it, that is a pretty big drop for the roadster.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #11

I think that the larger issue is currency rates, with a soft US economy how long will, not can, Porsche hold pricing to keep sales volume. As a Porsche shareholder I think they are doing a great job managing the company, as a P-car owner I wonder when parts will be stabilized as they seem to change with the exchange rates which has only meant up.
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:16 AM   #12

Many foreign car makers have built plants worldwide to deal with currency rates etc.

Porsche MAY be too small to do this but VW is not.

Since they are joined at the hip .......

Of course, VW is closing its Mexico plant, which hasn't worked out, so who knows.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #13

Thanks for that info Brucelee, that helps. For those that are interested, I found the article here:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/porsche-boxster-history7.htm

Looks like the Cayman cannibalized the Boxster sales.

Last edited by baseball; 12-08-2007 at 07:47 AM.
baseball is offline   Reply With Quote