Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #1

Flashing CEL

Houston, I have a problem. Just finished replacing plugs, plug tubes, and bleeding brakes. Got all finished and started it up. It has been sitting for a couple of weeks, but it started right up and sounded fine. I decided to let it run for a bit a warm up. After about 10 minutes, before it was up to temp, the CEL started to flash. Not good. I know I need to get something to pull the code off of it to see what is going on. But in the mean time I am just wondering what is going on. I am assuming it is related to the plug change, but it is strange. I would think it would run rough if there was something wrong. I was sure to torque the plugs down to proper spec. I changed out the tubes because there were signs of leaking from a couple of them.

I hear that a flashing CEL is the worst, so I am just wondering what related to a plug change could cause it.

Any ideas on what may have caused it?

dcompress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #2

Update - After a quick run to the store for a code scanner, I found a P0305. Misfire in cylinder 5. Guess I will need to pull that plug back out and see what is going on.

So....which one is 5??

Last edited by dcompress; 12-05-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Im not sure which is five but its likely that the reason you're getting a misfire is that #5 cyclindar coil pack plug isnt installed correctly.. check the connector and make sure it is snapped all the way in.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #4

I had the same problem after changing spark plugs for the first time.
The cable on one of the spark plugs wasn't "snapped in".
After checking I found that on 3 out of 6 cylinders the cable was kind-a loose, so better check all of them
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcompress
Update - After a quick run to the store for a code scanner, I found a P0305. Misfire in cylinder 5. Guess I will need to pull that plug back out and see what is going on.

So....which one is 5??
5 is the middle cylinder on the left side of the car (as you are sitting down in the car). 4, 5, 6 from front of engine to flywheel.
'65 911 (needs work!)
'76 BMW 2002 (SCCA ITB race car)
DaveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #6

When I first got my Boxster, the engine stumbled/stuttered out of the blue when I was making a turn. CEL flashing. Limped home, turned it off, and then started it up again -- no problem, no light.

I posted on here about it and someone said that a flashing CEL is actually GOOD, because it means the computer is fixing/has fixed whatever was going on. If the CEL stays on, that's worse.
myeboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by myeboxsters
When I first got my Boxster, the engine stumbled/stuttered out of the blue when I was making a turn. CEL flashing. Limped home, turned it off, and then started it up again -- no problem, no light.

I posted on here about it and someone said that a flashing CEL is actually GOOD, because it means the computer is fixing/has fixed whatever was going on. If the CEL stays on, that's worse.
Myeboxsters, a flashing CEL is more serious. One should pull orver to a safe area ASAP and turn the car off.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #8

Cel

A steady CEL indicates that there is a problem that precludes the safe and optimal operation of the vehicle. A flashing CEL indicates that there is a severe problem preventing the safe operation of the vehicle without major catostrophic consequences. Turn the car off, have it taken it to a repuatable service station to have the problem resolved. Owners manual should indicate which actions you should persue.
John
szentej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #9

did you have a chance to check the connection of the spark plug cables?
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #10

Been working all day. Going home tonight to look at the plug. I will post the results.

szentej - I have read the same thing. However, a code of misfire on cylinder 5 doesn't seem to me like something catestrophic. It would also seem logical that it was something to do with the plug change. Would I want to look at that first, clear the error, and check again before I tow it to a service station?
Old 12-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #11

Update -

Here is what I found.....

I went to take off the coil on cylinder 5. The first thing I noticed was that when I pulled it out, the connector from the coil to the wire started to come off on one side. I disconnected it completely, and noticed that there is a tiny clip on each side of the plug that fastens in the connector. The clip on the side that was coming off was broken. I reassembled everything, made sure the connector was on, and started it up. (After clearing code). I got it all the way up to temp without a CEL or even a pending code. That is a relief!

But now my question is...Do I need to replace the whole coil because of the broken clip. My gut says yes, but thought I would check.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #12

Thanks for the correction/clarification. I must have misunderstood what was being said on my earlier post. Could it be that if the light flashed but then went off, that was okay; but if it just kept flashing and/or stayed on, that was bad?
myeboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #13

Hello.
I have a similar issue with oil inside the spark plug tubes.
I bougth 6 new tubes with O'ring from Sunset and read about
how to DIY these tubes. Is it true that you have to bring
the engine to normal running temperature to remove them?
What kind of special tool did you used to remove them?
Thanks
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #14

All 6 of mine came out with just my finger. I was wearing a pair of mechanics gloves that had some traction on the finger. Just stick your middle finger inside and push in towards the wall of the tube to get a grip. Then just pull out. 2 slide right out (the ones leaking of course) and the other 4 did not take much effort. I did it when the engine was cold.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #15

Been there done that

Hey Dcompress I changed my plugs and that plastic clip broke too. although being as paranoid as I am I didnt just plug it in and think it was ok. I found a round metal clamp thingy (dont know what its called) but these are used to fasten hoses I guess. I put it around the clamp and tightened the screw and yanked on the wire to make sure it was safely fastened. that was also my cylinder 5. its been working and no light. try fastening it with something that wont come off. I changed my plugs at 1am thats why mine broke.

good luck
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #16

Funny it was the same cylinder. I think mine happened when I was twisting the coil around to get it back in the hole and around that hose coming down. It isn't going back out on the road until spring, so I will probably either buy a new coil, or do something like you did before spring.

On a side note, I went to Pelican parts to price a coil. It's like $50. Not terrible. Then I was looking at the wires (impulse senders) that come down to plug into the coils. Unless I am reading it wrong there are $150 EACH! I thought it was for a set of 6.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:57 AM   #17

dcompress,

Yeah, $150 per wire sounds about right. When I had a 924 I had it in for service and the mechanic told me I might want to think about changing the wires. I asked how much, he said "$150" I thought "that's not bad for all four" then he said - "Each" !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:10 AM   #18

That is insane. $900 to swap out wires on Boxster! Another $300 if you want to do coils as well. I guess I just can't see why the wire is 3x the coil price. I would think it would be the other way around.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Is it nessecary to replace those wires for any other reason other than the clip breaking?

Does the insolation and conductivity degrade over time and useage?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote