Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally posted by Subanez
[
The BBQ is on the way, fries with that? [/B]
No salt just ketchup!! That's what I like to hear we concurr.

Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:35 AM   #22

Racing a Dodge Magnum is not fair unless he has a surfboard, guitar, guitar amp, and a ladder in the back like the commercial where one passes an Espirt Turbo up hill

Anyway, on the rare occasion that I get duped into taking somebody on, I always seems to get beat off the line and then reel them back in pretty quickly. This has been true with the couple cars and sport bikes I've come across. I would imagine a Magnum would get pretty squirrelly above 80 mph seeing that almost every angle on the car is at 90 degrees (reference Truss)

PS: There is a guy who works in the same building as me who has the V6 Magnum and it looks like a total piece of junk, he doesn’t even have the alloy wheels. This guy totally got talked into buying a piece of junk station wagon, too bad the sales man couldn’t talk him into getting the faux wood panels on the exterior.

Last edited by QporscheQ; 09-14-2004 at 09:37 AM.
QporscheQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:53 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to spotch
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Truss
[B]BUT shouldn't aerodynamics, weight distribution, suspension (stiffness), tires, etc play a HUGE factor in determing the outcome of a given race (with equal drivers)?

Well aerodynamics play a big part above 60-70mph or so, but the race didnt go that high so scratch that off.

Weight distribution plays a big part, but more importantly how much weight is over the powered wheels is what you're looking at as far as traction goes. The more weight you have over the powered wheels when launching the more grip you will have. Seeing as how the magnum weighs 1200-1300 pounds more than the boxster I have a feeling it has at least as much weight over the back wheels as a 2900 pound boxster w/ 50/50 distribution. Either way the point is moot because it doesnt sound like you launched agressively enough to ride 1st out at the traction limit of your rear tires and with 390 tq and an automatic he doesnt have to do jack crap to launch the hell out of that car.

Tires play a big role again but from the way your story reads you weren't driving/launching agressively enough to really use the extra traction you *may* have from having stickier tires (i'm not sure what tires you're running or what the magnums come with stock, the magnum SXT at the grocery store had relatively wide tires so I would imagine the R/T would be at least as well equipped).

I fully believe if you launched more agressively and ran to the 1/4 you would've won the race but if you sleep just a little at the light the auto+tq+big power of that heavy ass wagon will be enough to make you play catchup for a while. I'm not saying the boxster S is slower, its just slower if you're not really trying.

My friend lost to a cavalier in his prelude vtec once because he gave it a 1/2 ass launch. The cavalier wasnt faster (as a later race proved...) but it was close enough that the tq of the cavalier was enough to overpower him at the launch and get a jump.

*shrug* lol
spotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:36 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
agreed. im sure had i done a better job at launching / the race lasted longer, i would have won. It wasn't long until he was not pulling anymore... funny though, when he stopped pulling, he turned off.

wish i had another shot at him (of course on a drag strip with all the appropriate safety gear installed).
Old 09-14-2004, 04:55 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
FWIW,

The top of the line Magnums are impressive on the Autocross circuit.

No Boxster, but impressive for a 2 ton vehicle. Keep in mind, the Germans have their hands on this vehicle now and it is a Benz in structure.

I'm curious to see what happens in the next three years with the Magnum.

Now, I agree getting roasted off the line does happen in the Boxster, but you can reel them in in short order. When you get off the straights and into the curves, get out the paddle and start spanking.

Dave
bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:11 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to spotch
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Truss

wish i had another shot at him (of course on a drag strip with all the appropriate safety gear installed).

of course.......
lol
spotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:05 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
When I had a 944 I raced some dude in a Mustang 5.0 painted a cheezy nasty tone of sparkly blue after he kept revving his engine at a light. He blew me away but at least I had a nice looking car. Now my dad has a friend that raced some guy in some american car (don't know what) in his Ferrari Testarossa and broke a gear and the guy he was racing came back and got him and had to give him a ride.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:42 PM   #28

Love that story, that goes next to Rich's story.

LOL- gives him a ride.........

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:06 AM   #29
porsche986

i also cant help it if i am pushed at lights... i dont really wanna go for it, but i dont know i guess it just gets the better of you... lol

mind i choose cars very carefully.. i wont light ot light ricers or boy racers i have no respect for them. I would do another porsche / merc / audi ect...

nothing wrong with lights to lights but the trick is knowing when to stop and not carry on..
remember the boxster its at its peak going through the gear 2nd 3rd 4th there is no better....

Last edited by porsche986; 09-16-2004 at 07:08 AM.