Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 04:50 AM   #1

Is this the right part number coolant cap?

New coolant tank is in and after 2 days of driving, coolant light flashes and reservoir is 2/3 empty. I am starting to think the coolant cap is a problem.

I noticed that around the gasket and deck lid area was really wet with condensation but no coolant in the trunk. I think it boiled over and escaped without leaking on my garage floor.

Anyway, is this the part number for the new cap???

996-106-447-01 ??? That is what my dealer sold me.

Thanks!

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:40 AM   #2

.01 is the correct revision though others have rec'd a .02 (newer revision) out there.

Regarding flashing light/coolant levels, it is a pressurized system. Did you bleed it correctly after reinstalling the new tank to get the air out? If not, do bleed it at once. Afterwards, make sure your fluid is topped off and you put the bleeder valve back down to the closed position.

If you again loose fluid, you'll want to have a pressure test done on the system to ensure you don't have a bad hose somewhere else or, heaven forbid though it's been known to happen, your new tank might be cracked too
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
It could very well just be the cap. For a period of time, I had a small bit of condensation showing up under the trunklid of my car, right above the coolant cap area. This eventually led to the coolant level to drop 1/4 in the reservoir.

I thought it was a problem with the bleeder valve, but after looking at it and seeing no coolant residue down there, I simply opened my coolant cap, and reseated it very tightly again. No more coolant condensation on my trunklid, and no more drop in coolant levels.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote