Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 06:28 AM   #1

New to Forum

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and considering the purchase of a Boxster to use as a daily driver for my 110 mile round trip commute to and from work. My commute is mostly well-paved country roads with little traffic. I plan to keep the car about a year or about 20-25K miles. So here are my questions to you the wise and experienced...

Is there a preferred year and model?
Are there any major or common issues that I should look for?
How reliable is the car (i.e. Do little things prevent it from running?)
I do most of my own routine maintenance (oil change, etc.), is this more difficult than other cars?

I am used to driving performance cars. My current commuter is a Lotus Elise. I love the performance though the ingress and egress can be a pain sometimes. I think a Boxster will be a little more civilized.

I'm sure I'll have other questions as I learn. Thanks in advance.

Flat Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:22 AM   #2

Welcome. What is your price range?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #3

Is fuel economy important to you? The S models are faster, but I've seen some complaints about fuel economy. The non-S models can be quite economical to operate if you don't get caught in a lot of stop and go traffic and can resist the joys of turning the car loose. The Boxster will use more fuel than your Elise.

If you plan to drive in the winter and you aren't from the south, a hard top is nice to have.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #4

My price range really depends on the car. I rarely buy new cars. Optimally, I would like a car that has less than 50K miles. I use that a general rule. I've found, with a few exceptions, that most modern cars usually don't have any major issues not covered by warranty in that time/mileage frame. I don't really care about the year if there are no known issues with that particular vintage.

Sorry to give such a vague answer, but I usually buy a different daily driver every 12-18 months due to the amount of miles I put on the car. Before I buy a car, I weigh out the purchase price vs. estimated sell price with an additional 20-25K miles and factoring in estimated maintenance for the life of ownership. It really comes down to cost of ownership for that period of time so the actual purchase price is a moving target that ultimately is realized when I find the right car.

Therefore, I am starting at the beginning. What car should I look for? Which one should I stay away from?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #5

test drive a 2000-2004 BoxsterS. Use that as your baseline and decide what you are comfortable paying for it. Sounds like you are a value buyer. Right now the 2000-2002 S models are a serious bargain. With the right wheels and aero people will think you are driving a $50-60K car, is surely drives better than most in that range.
and whatever you do don't drive a CaymanS before driving a Boxster. And I mean a REAL drive....It's the best Porsche I have ever driven and that includes nearly all of the non-GT Carreras and non-3.4 Boxsters.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Spin
Therefore, I am starting at the beginning. What car should I look for? Which one should I stay away from?
My preference is the S over a base, however, as mentioned, the base tends to be more fuel savvy. There has been difference in early 986 up to 2005 which began the 987 series. '03's were updated with glass rear windows including some body changes. 97-99 were fitted with 2.5 L, '00-'04 introduced the 2.7 base and 3.2 S. The most important thing is the due diligence required before buying a Boxster.

Boxster are reliable cars, parts tend to wear out as with any car. The major checks I have performed is inspection of the rear main seal (RMS), coolant expansion tank, water pump, O2 sensors, mass air flow (MAF) sensor, suspension, brakes, clutch, and of course any check engine history. You need keys (all three, codes included even better!) manual, wind stop including roll bar covers, wind stop carry case, jack/tow tools (all of them), and cd changer cartridge (if equipped). More is always better in the transaction, including the service history, get as much information as possible!

I purchased my '01 S for 22K, people can't believe it! It still looks like the original 52+K sticker price, however, I have invested close to 2K in repairs in a little under 1,500 miles. So, plan on putting some money in the car after purchase. My experience is that the cost of ownership is high in the beginning, leveling out after 6 months or so.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
...It's the best Porsche I have ever driven and that includes nearly all of the non-GT Carreras and non-3.4 Boxsters.
I assume you mean the Cayman? I also like the looks of the Cayman but prefer a convertable. One of my employees had a Cayman and liked it though he traded it for a Cayenne last month. Not sure what he was thinking.

tboyer:

GREAT INFO! You have a very nice web site.

Last edited by Flat Spin; 11-27-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #8

Flat Spin,

If I had to do it over again I would recommend a 2003 or newer Boxster. The glass rear window and exterior styling makes a big difference. Also, make sure to get a PPI ( pre-purchase inspection ) when you find one you like, and read Mike Focke's website :

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

Another good site :

http://www.986faq.com/

Hope this helps...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote