Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2004, 07:03 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to janzenms
O F F I C I A L 987 Press Release & Press Photos

I found this from the official press website on some news site. http://press.porsche.com/

username and password are carrera/carrera. Cool huh?

This is a link to the photos. I made them a bit smaller for those on slow connections. You can click on them for the original size.

http://definitely.com/2005boxster/

------------------------here's the press release------------------------

First Major Makeover in Model's Eight-Year History

ATLANTA, GA, Sept. 7, 2004 - Porsche today disclosed the first information available on its 2005 entry level sports car, the Boxster, and its higher performing stable mate, the Boxster S. For 2005, both models feature significant styling changes, more powerful engines, numerous handling enhancements, and greater active and passive safety. All are designed to offer even more driving pleasure from the mid-engine roadsters - the acknowledged leaders in their sports car segment. This all comes at value-driven prices that will make the new Boxster models even more competitive in their class.

Bolder Styling

These next generation Boxsters are more mature sports cars. This is characterized by bolder yet more refined exterior styling that is highlighted by larger front and side air intakes, new head and front lamp treatments, more aggressive doorsills, and larger side widows.

More Power

While the size of the Boxster's 2.7-liter and the Boxster S's 3.2-liter flat-six cylinder engines remain unchanged, both have significant horsepower increases. The Boxster jumps from 225 to 240 horsepower (SAE), while the Boxster S leaps from 258 to 280 horsepower (SAE) and is the most powerful engine yet offered in the Boxster model line. The result is a faster top track speed of 159 mph (256 km/h) for the Boxster and 166 mph (268 km/h) for the Boxster S. The Boxster accelerates from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 5.9 seconds while the Boxster S achieves it in 5.2 seconds.

These engines are mated to a revised five-speed manual transmission in the Boxster and a new six-speed manual gearbox in the Boxster S. Both models can still be equipped with the optional five-speed Tiptronic S automatic transmission system.

Better Handling

Benchmark superior handling on both previous Boxster models has been further enhanced with the addition of variable ratio power steering, improved chassis and body stiffness, wider wheel alignment, and larger wheels and tires. The Boxster and Boxster S now have standard 17-inch and 18-inch wheels and tires, respectively, but both can be fitted with optional 19-inch wheels and tires.

Enhanced Safety

The Boxster and Boxster S are the first roadsters in the world to help protect occupants against lateral impact through the use of dedicated head airbags. In combination with thorax airbags, which are concealed on the outer side of the seatbacks, the head airbags deploy from the side window rails in the doors, helping to provide a high level of head protection.

Active safety on the two Boxster models is increased by optimizing the braking system and by adding the Porsche Stability Management system (PSM) as standard equipment. PSM can stabilize the car in severe understeer and oversteer conditions by braking the appropriate wheel or wheels, and, if necessary, intervening through engine management.

Greater Value

The 2005 Boxster and Boxster S will be introduced to the United States on January 15, 2005 at a price of $43,800 US and $62,400 CDN for the Boxster and $53,100 US and $75,600 CDN for the Boxster S. With such features as PSM and larger wheels and tires now standard on both models, these prices are significantly less than those of their comparably equipped predecessors.

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga., and its subsidiary, Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd., are the exclusive importers of Porsche 911, Boxster and Carrera GT sports cars and Cayenne sport utility vehicles for the United States and Canada. A wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche AG, PCNA employs approximately 250 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing and training for its 203 U.S. and Canadian dealers. They, in turn, provide Porsche owners with best-in-class service

My other hobbie: emptum, GETitSELLit, CARazed
-----------------------------

http://static.flickr.com/55/128864958_14b7e6dbeb_m.jpg
janzenms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:10 PM   #2

The best thing about the 987S:

"...new six-speed manual gearbox in the Boxster S. "

This proves once and for all the previous 996 tranny on the Boxster S was not a good fit.

Still not sure if I want to order the 987S. I was hoping for 300HP.
Another S in S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:13 PM   #3

You're right the performance numbers are not that different. it will be interesting to see how all the improvements add up.

Old 09-10-2004, 02:26 AM   #4

>>This proves <<

nothing.

Please let us know when you have any real info on this new transmission.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:27 PM   #5

yesssir right away sir ;-)

Old 09-11-2004, 08:04 PM   #6

Can find anything yet on the tranny. I bet we have to wait for some of the press to drive the car and report on what they find. I bet the best places to watch are autoweek and some of the german sites.

Old 09-12-2004, 11:38 AM   #7
Lux

Quote:
Originally posted by Another S in S
This proves once and for all the previous 996 tranny on the Boxster S was not a good fit.
Like Ad Sach said, this proves nothing. The 997 got a new Aisin tranny too. Does this mean that the 996's tranny was not a good fit for the 996 also?

That's like saying since the front bumper is new, it proves that the old bumper wasn't a good fit.

I will note that what has been proven wrong is your other post a little while back that the Base will get more horses/torque than the current S. But I have a feeling that you'll now use this 300hp mark as a reason for not buying the S and buying the Base model.

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote