Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #1

Cost to Repair???

This Boxster rear bumper is fiberglass and thus "should" be repairable. There are some actual pieces of the fiberglass missing though... What do you think (ball park estimate) it would take to repair and repaint this bumper professionally? Any chance that it can't be repaired and made to look decent again?

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I don't know about repairing it but I will let you know that that bumper requires a custom exhaust.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I don't know about repairing it but I will let you know that that bumper requires a custom exhaust.
Yeah, I know about the exhaust. It also requires some modification of the rear bumper (the actual metal bumper, not the bumper cover). That's why I'm asking about the repair cost. I'm trying to weigh whether or not it's worth fixing considering the damage and the work that would have to go into making it right.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Can be fixed with cloth, resin and lots of hours. A good clean used one from a dismantler would surely be less expensive than having it professionally repaired. If you have lots of time try it yourself. If you goof it up you can always toss it and get another one.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Can be fixed with cloth, resin and lots of hours. A good clean used one from a dismantler would surely be less expensive than having it professionally repaired. If you have lots of time try it yourself. If you goof it up you can always toss it and get another one.

Er... I don't think you could find one of these bumpers at a dismantler. I've never seen one in person or even in pictures of a U.S. Boxster. I've only seen it in pictures of European cars. This is a Gemballa Boxster GT bumper. With the special exhaust to fit the bumper it retails for $5,500 (Wonder why it's not common?). That's why I'm asking about fixing it...
Old 11-26-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Apologies,
I had no Idea what it was. It is obviously not a stock Boxter bumper. Perhaps I could have gotten a better look if your assistant was holding it. It can always be fixed. Fiberglass is fiberglass.

So someone actually paid $5500 for a rear bumper?? They could get a whole 944spec racer for that.

Last edited by Topless; 11-26-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Bambino Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
With the special exhaust to fit the bumper it retails for $5,500 (Wonder why it's not common?). That's why I'm asking about fixing it...

mmmmm......... WHY!!!!!

who on earth paid that for that!

J
00 Audi TT 180 coupe
02 DC5 Honda Integra typeR
01 Alfa Romeo spider 3.0 V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
02 Porsche Boxster S silver/red Rolling on 19's
Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../mycayman1.jpg

07 Cayman Guards Red/black on 19's
Bambino Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Apologies,
I had no Idea what it was. It is obviously not a stock Boxter bumper. Perhaps I could have gotten a better look if your assistant was holding it. It can always be fixed. Fiberglass is fiberglass.

So someone actually paid $5500 for a rear bumper?? They could get a whole 944spec racer for that.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I had a buddy at work who's done body work take a look at the photos and he said pretty much the same thing. He said you can pretty much fix any fiberglass cracks like that it's just a matter of time and how perfect you want to get it. Fortunately he has some good experience and said he would help me out with this little project.

Well I went ahead and bought the thing... Just another project to keep me busy this winter. When I get done I'll have to get some photos - with my assistant of course!