Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2004, 08:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Spark Plug change

I'm approaching 60000 miles in my 98 boxster and am about to do the at home tune up, i'm going to do the:

polyrib belt
oil change
air filter

my question is do you think spark plug replacement is neccessary? or can i take it up to 100000 miles? last time i changed the spark plugs were at 27000 miles.

i've already read the 986faq maintenance but was wondering just how many boxster owners actually follow the spark plug AND fuel filter replacement AND pollen filter replacement at 60000.

thanks in advance

BAYTRAN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:09 PM   #2

Replacing your spark plugs can't hurt, especially if you have that many miles on them.

If you go with what Porsche approves of i.e. Bosch.

It will improve your performance, you will notice the biggest difference after that improvement, compared to the other tasks you will be doing.

Good luck, and you will be surprised what you will learn as you do it.

It is quite simple, just awkward. Take your time and start all your new plugs by hand.

Check the gap and "Never" take the stores word that they are pre-gapped.
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:31 PM   #3

Do not know what plugs are in your car. If they are the factory Bosch or Beru with 2 side electrodes used on the 2.5, Porsche says every 30,000 miles.

With that said I have replaced the plugs on a few 2.5s at 30k and they looked very good. But since new plugs were purchased they went in anyway.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:12 AM   #4
Forum Member

yep, i took one of the plugs out last night and it still looked good, so i put it back in. i guess i'll wait another 20000 miles and then replace them. btw, it was a 4 prong bosch platinum. i remember changing them back when the car had 30000 but i guess another 20000 won't hurt. this is just my highway cruiser so it rarely sees track or city driving. I did change out the pollen and air filter (porsche filter not that k&n crap) and am doing the fuel filter next. have any of you changed out the fuel filter yet?

toolpants, do you happen to know the general location?

thanks fellas for the help.
BAYTRAN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:12 PM   #5

Remove the middle and rear plastic belly pans under the car and you will see the filter above the coolant lines to the radiators.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:20 PM   #6

i just replaced my plugs while doing it i also replaced the sleeves and orings with the new green style so no more oil leakage.

TO2IMAGE is offline   Reply With Quote