Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #1

Regular Car Bras

Hello all,

Lately, I have been considering making my boxster my only car. If I were to do this, I think I would be more comfortable driving it all the time with a good car bra on.

Although I find the 3M clear bras interesting, I think I might go with a traditional bra. I have searched the internet and pricing seems to be about 200$ for one, IIRC. My questions are as follows (for regular bras):

-Is $200 the damage I should be expecting?
-How easy/hard are these things to take off and put on?
-What do you all do with them when you clean the car?
-Do you have any brands that are good?
-What will I lose out on by not having a nice 3M clear bra?

Regards,
Ben

JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
bmussatti

Ben, do you have a 986 or a 987?

Here are the part number for the 987's:

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7710&highlight=cayman

Recently a member sold his 987 bra on ebay for about $100.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
bmussatti

$130 for a new one (987):

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=Bra997987&Category_Code=987ext
Old 11-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Installation isn't too hard (check out the pelican parts article). The only damage I would expect would be uneven fading and possible having the bra rub some of the clear coat on the nose off, so it is not as shiny.
You can get a Colgan for $110. The clear bras run upwards of a few hundred dollars.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #5

I've got an old 986. 130ish is not too bad. Am I insane for not considering a clear bra?
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
I've got an old 986. 130ish is not too bad. Am I insane for not considering a clear bra?

Ben, I don't know where you will find one (traditional) for a 986.

Clear bra's require an expert installer. I think they enhance the "orange peel" effect of the paint, I can always see the "line", they yellow and when you get whacked with a rock and the clear bra does its job and you get a mark on your clear bra, what do you do now? Get another $$$$ clear bra?

I have seen some that look really good. Especially when new and on certain car colors.

My advice, stay away from trucks (especially gravel trucks and trucks without mud-flaps) and don't tailgate the truck/car in front of you.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
Here is a discussion I had on ppbb. It didn't quite start the way one'd expect, but scroll down and you should find some interesting info. I have a Colgan, happy with it. You only want to put it on when the car is clean, obviously. I also don't leave it on all the time.

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ARCHIVES&Number=1257084&Forum=ARCHIVES&Words=clear%20bra&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1month&Main=1257030&Search=true

bigb is offline   Reply With Quote