Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2004, 05:59 AM   #1
Forum Contributor

Talking PCA Drivers ed Putnam Park

WOW what a weekend I just got back from a great Drivers Ed and now I know what a Boxster can do. I even passed a boxster S in my normal stock 97. I was going a good fast speed through turn 8 and I got worried so I let up on the gas. AS I learned You never let up in a turn. When I did tht my tail started to spin then my front took over and I went side ways for a bit . THen my car wanted to spin backward into the grass. It was a good thing there was not a wall. It also took about 10 times to get it started I tought I had to get towed out. Of course it was in front of everyone and I hear the whole area could hear it. Some if it is on tape B/C the noise was so loud everyone with a camcorder looked over. The next Dr Ed will be VIR. I will take it a bit easy after the spin. Just wanted to let you know Boxsters can really spin.

92 968 - Husband's Car
Boxstergirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:48 PM   #2

Sounds like you had fun (which is what counts the most)... you learned very quickly that the cars will lift throttle oversteer. As time goes on you will learn to drive the car on edge using this lift throttle to get the car through fast corners. Sometimes the nose may not be pointed exactly as you needed so a slight lift to rotate the car will be needed. No joke: practice this. Just dont come 100% of throttle.. you will learn the balance of your car/tires.

If the car starts to "plow/understeer" through a corner (stock Boxsters are notorious for this) you can do a small left foot tap on the brake pedal to make the nose turn in better. This transfers weight back to the nose for a split second... you can practice this also... start left foot braking on the street so your leg/foot get used to the idea (think GoKarts)

I coach people to use both pedals to balance a car...

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote