Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
^ I've got a CarMax warranty and they are great. There is no deductible, and they just take my car to the Porsche dealer and have them fix it. They even replaced my Porsche Radio, which is rare because most warranties don't cover electronics' like the radio.
Interesting. I called my local Porsche dealership and asked them about their experience with Carmax warranties. They said Carmax tries to nickel and dime everything,using used parts instead of new OEM and they want the customer to cover the cost of the difference in labor rate over what Carmax pays out. Around here Carmax said they'd only cover $90/hour....dealership charges $140/hour,so I'd have to pay $50/hour out of my own pocket.

Again this is in CA,I guess where you are it's different.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #22
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have never heard of that, but they haven't screwed me, "yet."
I have been happy with their service even though I have to deal with the idiots driving my car through the autowash before I pick it up after a service.

But there financial guy doesn't like me very much because it cost them triple to repair my car instead of the usual honda or toyota. I have heard him getting upset when I pick the car up, as he approves the repair bill.
I would have thought they would stop reselling Porsche's at Carmax, because they told me they had a previous guy buy a Boxster then the RMS went out and it cost them $10k to replace the engine.
But, I am not dealing with a CA stealership.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Who did you buy this from? Great deal, like you say- no brainer!
This is from the Porsche dealer. They told me they would give it to me at cost. My understanding is that it is simply an extension of the factory warrenty.
kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #24

I just bought the certified CPO Boxster S.

I'm going to pick it up late next week hopefully, will be flying down to Northern Virginia from Montreal!

I've previously had a 2003 S2000 and a 2001 S54 M Coupe, I can't way to compare the Boxster S to my previous cars!
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #25

Smile

Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:59 AM   #26

Smile

I have dealt with this from most angles.

Pros

Nice comprehensive warranty
Porsche dealer inspects car and repairs many items BEFORE they sell it to you.
Somewhat easier when getting repairs from dealer, as coordination of the warranty payment is a bit easier.
Feels better to have a CPO car.

Cons

Compared to a CPO program like Lexus, the Porsche program is a bit of a let down.
Porsche is weak on the documentation. Many here have complained of never getting any warranty paperwork.
Porsche dealers are a bit weak on the coverage knowledge.
Dealers are inconsistent with what is covered, leading to confusion.
Defiintion of WEAR items can get you.

At the end of the day, it is very subjective.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Dude that's a GREAT price. If it passes a PPI go for it! That car has a lot going for it,litronics,the exterior color,painted center console,matching handbrake & shiftknob.

Be weary of independent car dealership warranties,most are shady and won't repair your car with new OEM parts(Carmax for example).
It could turn out to be nothing, but I noticed a significant mileage difference between the advertised one (49.8k) and the one that shows up in the pics (51.6k). My first thought would be that the car has not sold in a long time, but that also presupposes that the pics were taken long after the ad was posted, which doesn't make sense to me. Maybe there is a reason for the (really) low price???

bigb is offline   Reply With Quote