Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 04:48 AM   #1

tick, tick, tick, tick

At least that is what it sounds like, comming from the rear end. It increases in frequency with increasing speed of the car. Does not appear to be engine related, because when I push the clutch in while rolling, I still hear the tick, tick, tick. Any ideas on what can be causing the noise, and please dont tell me that is what bad wheel bearings sound like.

BTW, this weekend I will be changing wheels to the set with the all-weather Falken 512 tires, I will poke around under the car and see if I can locate possible source of the noise. Its, time to change wheels not only because its getting colder, but also the PS2's on the rear almost have 5K on them, and, yes, sure enough, I am down to the wear markers on the inside.

Randal, how are your rear set of PS2's doing? I know we got ours at about the same time, I have gone through two sets of rears so far, still have a fair amount of tread on the fronts, looks like I will go through three sets of rears for one set of fronts, interesting.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:03 AM   #2

I heard a similar noise recently and it was the rubber boot around the CV joint. It had finally split and part of it was hitting the suspension as I drove.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:28 AM   #3

"I heard a similar noise recently and it was the rubber boot around the CV joint. It had finally split and part of it was hitting the suspension as I drove."

Thanks, I will check that out when I change out the wheels this weekend,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 11-02-2007, 05:30 AM   #4

Might be something simple like a rock in the groove of one of your tires. Wouldn't that be great?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:42 AM   #5

"Might be something simple like a rock in the groove of one of your tires. Wouldn't that be great?"

What groove, these are PS2's with almost 5K, they have no grooves..... Thats a good point, I will see if I picked up a nail, or something in the tire that could be making the noise. But is seems like is is more associated with the frame than tire, but still, I will check it out,

ed

Old 11-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #6
bmussatti

Could be the whole CV joint. Inspect the boots. They could look good, but still be dry (void) of any grease.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Might be something simple like a rock in the groove of one of your tires. Wouldn't that be great?

That was my first thought, too.

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #8

Brake cable rubbing on inside of rim

Got a chance to poke around under the car and took off the rear left wheel, where I thought the noise was comming from. It was the parking brake cable rubbing against the inside of the rim. Rubbed through the rubber coating on the housing.

When I first got coilovers and lowered my car I added 5mm spacers to help get the clearance for my 18" aftermarket carerra lightweight rims. At that time I noticed on the right wheel, the brake cable was very close to the rim, so I zip tied it away. There was plenty of space on the left side at the time, so I did not tie it back, my bad. I just put a zip tie on the cable housing and it is good as new.

BTW, my Boxster is starting to accumulate zip ties more than I would like. Has anyone had the plastic under the car start to come loose like mine has in one spot, zip tie.... Thanks for the advice on possible causes of the tick, tick sound I was hearing. The good news, wheel bearings, CV covers and joints seem fine (so far). Cost of repair, two zip ties, now, thats what I am talking about.

Ed

Old 11-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
What groove, these are PS2's with almost 5K, they have no grooves.....
Ha-Ha ha! I was just thinkg the same thing about my tires!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote