Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 06:33 AM   #1

Seat options - '08 S order

Well I am still putting together my option list for the 2008 Boxster S I am ordering in a week or so and want some opinions on seats. I am leaning toward the stock Boxster S seats (no additional charge) vice the 4 or 5 upgrades. So, are the base seats adequate?

Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:43 AM   #2
bmussatti

I think the base seats are really great. I don't have the power option either. Mine are also heated.

I typically drive for 3-4 hours before stopping for gas or a break. I am 6'2" and 210 pounds.

I don't see the Sport Seat option in the 2008 order guide. Only the Adaptive Sport Seat (code # PO1) for $2,695.

When I looked at some of the sport seat options for the 2006, I found them to have a narrow shoulder area due to the extra bolstering. And I did not like the back of the seats- a plastic shell.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:08 AM   #3

Bob, you should go down to your friendly Porsche dealership and ask a salesman to help you find cars that have all the seats and sit in them for a bit to see how you like them.

A purchase this expensive requires some R&D.... fortunately, all this research is a lot of fun, yes?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 AM   #4

Thanks all. I am 6'2" and 175lbs so it seems the stock seats shoud suffice. My dealer has a limited supply though so it is not easy for me to test the different seat types. But as long says "the stock seats suck" I should be fine.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
bmussatti

Bob, FYI- the Carrera has the same seats, so you could "test-drive" the seats there too.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Thanks all. I am 6'2" and 175lbs so it seems the stock seats shoud suffice. My dealer has a limited supply though so it is not easy for me to test the different seat types. But as long says "the stock seats suck" I should be fine.
Bob, on my 07 Box, I've found the stock seats comfortable enough for a 12 hour drive, and sporty enough that even when cornering hard enough to make myself slightly dizzy, I didn't find the seats lacking in support. The sport seats are sweet, and I considered them; maybe if I had ordered a Cayman S I'd have gone for them, but they are a little more confining, and since they're firmer (I believe) I wonder if comfort would be as good on very long trips.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 AM   #7

You really should try the sport seats before deciding. They are tigher in upper body and you sit deeper in the seat which is great for auto-cross or DE. Entry and exit is slightly more difficult due to deeper seats.

The non-adaptive (non-powered) sport seats are still an option for '08. IIRC they go for about $800 which, IMO, is worth it if you like the fit.

Another sleeper option is sport steering wheel - I'd highly recommend trying it.
choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by choeglund
The non-adaptive (non-powered) sport seats are still an option for '08. IIRC they go for about $800 which, IMO, is worth it if you like the fit.
I have the 2008 Order Guide, and the Sport Seats are no longer offered. Only the Adaptive Sport Seats (code # PO1).
Old 10-31-2007, 11:36 AM   #9

Thanks again to all. I will try some 911 seats if there are no Boxsters at the dealer when I order.

I heard someone else mention the sport steering wheel option but that is not showing up on the Porsche web site when building a car - I am getting an S so maybe it is only an option on the standard Boxster (?)
Old 10-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Thanks again to all. I will try some 911 seats if there are no Boxsters at the dealer when I order.

I heard someone else mention the sport steering wheel option but that is not showing up on the Porsche web site when building a car - I am getting an S so maybe it is only an option on the standard Boxster (?)
Bob, the web site is not 100% accurate. Don't trust it. The Sport Steering Wheel is option code # 435 and costs $250. It is 3 spoked, has a round center, smaller diameter and a contoured rim.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #11

The website shows 2 Sport Steering Wheels. One for $250 and one for $740. The steering wheels are listed in the Options/Interior Leather section of the build your own.

"Smaller wheel diameter with rounded center and contoured rim with thumb rests. Smooth leather finish in interior color on steering wheel rim (with cross stitched seam) and airbag module."-$740

"Three spoke steering wheel with smaller diameter and contoured rim" - $250

Are thumb rests worth $500?

Last edited by danr1707; 10-31-2007 at 02:55 PM.
danr1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #12

I have owned several Honda S2000's, a 2006 Lotus Elise, and a 2006 Boxster S, and really find the standard Boxster seat the best overall. The Sports Seat never felt right to me (too confining), and I am 5'9" and 175 pounds, so it may be a matter of personal preference. What I do not like about the Sports Seat is the soft leather that Porsche uses on the side bolsters that wears too easily. BMW for instance uses a thicker, better wearing leather on the side bolsters. Upkeep of the Porsche Sports Seat seem to be a real challenge.
One last thing, in regards to the sport steering wheel, if you get the standard seats, you really do not need to upgrade beyond the $250.00 sports steering wheel as the leather surface matches the standard seats better. The $500.00 upgrade from the optional sports wheel comes in smooth leather, which matches the smooth leather on the Sports Seats, and the $1,000+ sports steering wheel is smooth leather with a thicker padding. In short, I would opt for the standard seats, with the $250 sports steering wheel.
Vince
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I have the 2008 Order Guide, and the Sport Seats are no longer offered. Only the Adaptive Sport Seats (code # PO1).
Not correct. Options AP/DD/FC/TE and P77 are Sport seats. $360 + $440. For some reason it's split into two codes. See page "3 of 22" (it's actually page 8) of '08 order guide.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #14
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by choeglund
Not correct. Options AP/DD/FC/TE and P77 are Sport seats. $360 + $440. For some reason it's split into two codes. See page "3 of 22" (it's actually page 8) of '08 order guide.
Thanks for the correction. I was wrong. Sorry.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Sport wheel is option 435 on both base and S. It shows up in configurator under interior leather. As was mentioned previously, the $740 sport wheel is same shape but smooth leather to match sport seats. I was told that the leather of the $250 wheel is "pre-formed" whereas the upgraded $740 smooth leather is custom fit/sewn to the wheel. Is this worth and extra $490? Not to me but YMMV.

Last edited by choeglund; 11-01-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #16

tight adaptive sport seats

I'm a little skinny guy!! 6'0"-255 !!
I was all excited about the adaptive sport seats until I got to sit in one. Fat chance, they're made for F1 drivers or smaller. :ah:
To be honest, I like the standard seats on the 04 and older better than the 05 and newer, but I'm set on an 05 or newer S, so everything is a compromise. I felt like the original seats had better side support and better ride at the same time.
Newer is not necessarily better, other than the entire rest of the car!!

Looking for an 06-S Carrera white, gray top, two tone charcoal/stone gray int., Bose, Bi-Xenons. Of course I have seven second and a half choices..........so it'll come down to the best car for the money.
As soon as the new garage/home office is done, it'll be time to find the "filler!"
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #17

Garage
Unless you'll be tracking or autox with the car..

the stock seats are fine. I've got the sport seats and they really keep you in place on the track. As others have said, don't skip the sport steering wheel--way better than stock.

MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote