Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #1

Boxster's this much of a gas eater?

Hi, thanks all for reply's .I've had this 2003 2.7litre boxster for 3 weeks now and noticed that it is a pig on gas.I dont drive it hard,its like driveing a 350 big block camaro.My 911SC, not this bad.Just to work and back is around 30mi/80KM. which is mostly highway driving and under 3k rpm.On the gas gauge the line's betwen the white marks i can pretty much c the needle drop from 1 mark to the other on the way into work ,.This normal?If is, that means like $100 a week on gas.My 5.0 mustang lasts 5days same route.Doesnt seem right.I'am takeing it to the porsche dealership at the end of the month to solve the problem with the rattle nosie in the rear end.Some say it the cats,heatshileds.Would this be also a sign that the cats. are bad and giveing poor gas milage or something esle?Also not sure when last tune-up was.I'll be doing oil/sparkpug.filters/myself.Do they hook these engines up to a computer for final tune-up check timing all that stuff?I'am use to useing my timing gun on the 911SC.

Last edited by eomak; 10-29-2007 at 05:26 PM.
eomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #2

My '00 2.7L is not particularly thirsty, and in fact does rather well on highway trips.

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #3

I'm averaging between 9-10L/100km (24-26mpg) for highway/city driving. Using 6th gear on the highway helps improve the mileage. When just highway driving, I can get 29-30mpg.

I noticed an improvement after having the car serviced.
ancster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i get about 21-22 all the time.
try getting a new filter, oil, and spark plugs, should all help ya out.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #5

I have an 01 2.7, and can average 19ish city, but I can get 31mpg highway.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #6

I have an '03 2.7 as well and it gets pretty good milage. After the chip tune I marked an average of 32 MPG on the highway. When I am not on trhe highway I usually get in the high teens. You should check your air filter 1st thing, then your plugs as djomlas pointed out. Your plugs should be a nice tobacco brown. Do you know what the service record is like with this car? Since you just bought it I would be highly suspect of the past serviceing even being done let alone being done properly. Your problems can probably be diagnosed pretty easily by a qualified mechanic. Pull out that air filter and give it a firm tap. If it's loaded with dust your choking your air supply.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #7

thanks for reply's. The air filter wasnt that dirty at all. Car has 33,000miles on it.The engine compartment is pretty clean too just needed a dust rag to clean it but looks new.The car was a 1 owner Cal. car and looks like it was well looked after.Carfax check out o.k. before i bought it but i took a hunch on it and didnt bother to get it checked out buy mech.Full 4 year warrnty hopfuly looks after the mager stuff.The chip tune thing what is that?And for the spark plugs they come pre-gap already?

Last edited by eomak; 10-29-2007 at 07:23 PM.
eomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:22 AM   #8

"I'm averaging between 9-10L/100km (24-26mpg) for highway/city driving. Using 6th gear on the highway helps improve the mileage. When just highway driving, I can get 29-30mpg."

Wow, thats impressive mileage for a 01 "S", what speed do you do your highway driving? I just went through a tank of gas at a constant 78mph and only got 28mpg with my base 2000.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomak
thanks for reply's. The air filter wasnt that dirty at all. Car has 33,000miles on it.The engine compartment is pretty clean too just needed a dust rag to clean it but looks new.The car was a 1 owner Cal. car and looks like it was well looked after.Carfax check out o.k. before i bought it but i took a hunch on it and didnt bother to get it checked out buy mech.Full 4 year warrnty hopfuly looks after the mager stuff.The chip tune thing what is that?And for the spark plugs they come pre-gap already?
Wellthat's one thing down. I would suggest that if you have a 4 yr warranty you get it in to the dealer ASAP. Warrantys go by datb in service not year so unless your car was 1st put into service in November or Dececember your warranty is gone.

A chip tune is where they take appr. $1000.00 of your cash, promise you 25 to 40 more HP and you end up with 15 more HP and better gas milage. Do a search on it and you will find plenty.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:59 AM   #10

When I filled up (93 octane) yesterday, full tank --- 02 S --- it immediately said "260 miles" left on my trip OBC. Is that right? I thought I heard people getting 300-400 miles?

All service has been done religiously on this car and it is in excellent shape. I brought it in and had every single thing fixed on it. (including cleaning radiators, lower loose front spoilers, cracked radiator air intake ducts, loose wiring, anything that remotely needed to be made perfect) - I don't know what else could be contributing to the low MPG rating. Plugs were changed 8k ago, filter was changed 500 miles ago, everything seems ok. Is this normal range for a 3.2L?

Thanks.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee
When I filled up (93 octane) yesterday, full tank --- 02 S --- it immediately said "260 miles" left on my trip OBC. Is that right? I thought I heard people getting 300-400 miles?
The OBC is giving you its "best guess". Reset the trip odometer when you fill up, drive most of a tank out, then refill again at the same place and do the math to get your real gas mileage. Then you'll know if you have a problem or not.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:05 AM   #12
dj1

I consistently get 22-24mpg on my '01 S. However, when I drive in an "exciting" manner I swear I can actually see the fuel gauge indicator drop.
dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
The OBC is giving you its "best guess". Reset the trip odometer when you fill up, drive most of a tank out, then refill again at the same place and do the math to get your real gas mileage. Then you'll know if you have a problem or not.
Good idea and common sense...(something I miss from time to time)
thanks.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:25 AM   #14

Amen to checking it with a refill. On the highway, I get 26 - 29 mpg, but the first quarter of a tank the gauge drops like a buick pushed off a cliff. It was a little alarming to me till I figured out it was just the gauge. Dunno if that's typical of the Boxsters....

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlevins
Amen to checking it with a refill. On the highway, I get 26 - 29 mpg, but the first quarter of a tank the gauge drops like a buick pushed off a cliff. It was a little alarming to me till I figured out it was just the gauge. Dunno if that's typical of the Boxsters....
Same with mine. It never quite hits the full mark, and it's down to 3/4 before you can say "New rear tires, please".
The trip from there to 1/4 is much slower.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:15 PM   #16

Bad MAF or O2 sensors could also lead to running richer and less efficiently. Just a thought...

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #17

[QUOTE=meerzee]Is that right? I thought I heard people getting 300-400 miles?
QUOTE]

I hit the trip reset at every fill-up. I got 318 miles last fill-up and 322 the time before. Both highway & city -- 22/23 mpg.

Maybe I could get near 400 miles if I didn't like the sound the box makes under open throttle so much...
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #18
bmussatti

Eomak, do you have an overly large and muscled right calf? Good flexibility in the Achilles tendon? You could be suffering from heavyrightfootitus. This will eat gas.

Last edited by bmussatti; 10-30-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #19
bmussatti

Here is Randal Neighbor's calf. I snaped this at The Tail of the Dragon!:
Old 10-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomak
Hi, thanks all for reply's .I've had this 2003 2.7litre boxster for 3 weeks now and noticed that it is a pig on gas.I dont drive it hard,its like driveing a 350 big block camaro.My 911SC, not this bad.Just to work and back is around 30mi/80KM. which is mostly highway driving and under 3k rpm.On the gas gauge the line's betwen the white marks i can pretty much c the needle drop from 1 mark to the other on the way into work ,.This normal?If is, that means like $100 a week on gas.My 5.0 mustang lasts 5days same route.Doesnt seem right.I'am takeing it to the porsche dealership at the end of the month to solve the problem with the rattle nosie in the rear end.Some say it the cats,heatshileds.Would this be also a sign that the cats. are bad and giveing poor gas milage or something esle?Also not sure when last tune-up was.I'll be doing oil/sparkpug.filters/myself.Do they hook these engines up to a computer for final tune-up check timing all that stuff?I'am use to useing my timing gun on the 911SC.

Have you actually calculated the MPG? What is it?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote