Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #1

01 vs 04 Boxster S: performance difference?

Hello All,

I am in the market for buying a boxster S and can probably afford an 00-02 with low miles which is what I would prefer. There are not many to test drive in my area, so I drove an 04 S and loved it. Currently there is an 01 S with 12,454 miles that is from out of town that I am considering buying. Is there a significant difference between these 2 cars that I would notice performancewise? I know from 02 to 03 there was an increase of about 8 hp from 250 to 258. Has anyone had any experience driving an 03-04 and an 2000-2002? Any noticeable difference in the performance?

Thanks for your help and guidance,
Greg

gtokars@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #2

Talking

There were definitely some important improvements during the 986 maturation from 01 to 04. Some of the more noted were: In 2003 where the rear plastic window on the soft-top was converted finally to glass w/defrost and of course the addition of the "911 borrowed" VarioCam (variable intake valve/timing system), also I believe the base wheel size was increased to 17 (base) and 18 (S) - Then you got a real glovebox and sightly reduced height overall. With the Variocam and slight mods, I think it helped our fuel economy and slight ticks on the ET/0-60 charts, but nothing massive. If choosing though, I would definitely get a 2003 or later and certainly opt for the S model if you can swing it.

I think the only thing significant for 2004 was the Anniversary Edition but I could be wrong....I think they were holding out the rest of the massive changes for 05 when the "new model" 987s were introduced. Performance between a 02 S and a 04 S is not going to be anywhere near night and day, but as always mentioned get the latest Box you can afford in the best shape.

BTW, make sure you opt for a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) completed at the nearest Porsche dealer before putting any money down. It should cost around $200-250 but it certainly can put your worries to rest at for the major items. It is not perfect but a darn good starting point. Also, there is a "national" network on Porsche.com of the dealerships offering CPO "certified pre-owned" and can definitely be worth their additional cost as most all come with fabulous extended warranties. Here is the link if you want to check it out and search for your neck of the woods....

http://www.porsche.com/usa/dialogue/contactandinformation/usedcars/

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!
M

Last edited by meerzee; 10-26-2007 at 09:39 AM.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #3

Before I bought my 03 boxster (non S) I test drove an a few pre-03 Boxster S and 03+ Boxsters let me tell you, the pre-03 Boxster S are not worth the price. I know, this forum is dominantly pro-S but after driving some 00'-02' Boxster S', I would hold out for at least a 03' or new Boxster. The refinements are minor but important such as: glass rear window, glove box, different Front and rear lower fascias, new spoiler, color match intakes, VarioCam, new exhaust, etc... You'll see that the pricing out there for 03+ Boxsters in general are demanding higher price tags in ratio to older 00-02 boxsters S. If you can get a 03+ S, great, but if not, I would at least consider a base 03' or newer boxster over an 00' or 01' S.

Like they say, try to buy the newest porsche you can afford.
chig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chig
Before I bought my 03 boxster (non S) I test drove an a few pre-03 Boxster S and 03+ Boxsters let me tell you, the pre-03 Boxster S are not worth the price.
I don't quite know if that statement is 100% accurate. Not worth the price? I would certainly take an 02 S in excellent shape with options galore over a base 03 no options all day long. If apples to apples (e.g. S to S -- 02 to 03) and the price is within reach then by all means, go for the latest S you can afford. Price is more than face value, it is maintenance, upkeep, mods and wear/tear adjustments that must be made regardless if the car is 5 or 6 years old.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #5

Meerzee...you're right. I meant an apples to apples comparison. You're also right about the maintenance and upkeep. My friend has a 97' 911 and it looks mint. I would take that over a beat up 99-02 911 anyday.

chig is offline   Reply With Quote