Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 06:07 AM   #21
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants

Funny how sometimes you folks want to see a class action lawsuit about the RMS.

Tool Pants, you are a very good Moderator on another Porsche site, and even you have engaged in many discussions about Class Action lawsuits for the RMS, and have even considered joining a class action yourself.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:43 AM   #22

I don't know...sounds like they were trying to blame the CGT handling "problems" on the accident.... And thereby blaming Ben Keaton who was warned. I think if you are the author and are going to cite handling "problems" and say that there was a warning, you need to be more specific instead of just throwing it out there like that. CGT's are known for having nervous handling, actually all the high powered Porsche's get that rap. Handling "problems" and damage are two different things. Which was it? And which of the two did the tech inspection point to? If a tech inspector determined it was damage and still passed the car to enter the track then that's really bad. If the tech inspector who was wasn't familiar with such an exotic car said "you're car is squirelly and oversteery, I'm not comfortable driving it" that's not really a warning based on perceived damage. Also, bringing up the "problem" without knowing what it was, and thereby inferring that it contributed to the accident is weird. The very squirrely nature of the car could have contributed to the spin and the fact that there was a cement wall so close to the track turned a spin into a double fatality. Or it could have been a simple case of driver error brought on by improper track procedures. Either way I think the track owners should have done away with that cement wall long ago and used one of the soft walls instead, a softwall much much farther away from the track...

A big problem is that these cars in track and autocross events are tech inspected very quickly, minutes sometimes and then they are allowed to enter. If you're going to be driving at a speedway like this in a CGT or similar, I would imagine that the tech inspection would need to be done before the day of the track event, examining the car on a lift etc. Fontana isn't jsut a small road course.

p.s.
enough experienced drivers have spun the Carrera GT so many times that I think Porsche would have taken the decision to add electronic assistance after the first model year. But we know how Porsche is at admitting errors...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-25-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 AM   #23

Didn't I read on here somewhere that PSM is standard on the new Boxsters? I don't think it's gross negligence that Porsche doesn't have PSM on the CGT, but still certainly stupid. It's a safety device which they'll put standard on their lowest powered model but not on their highest powered and fastest model? That just does not make sense.

Regardless you can see that this "stupidity" only cost Porsche 8% out of this lawsuit. The driver and the track carried the brunt of the cost. As for the track, well yeah they did screw up in a big way. Take a close look at the pictures of the wall where they hit. The design of the wall to accomodate a playground (nice location to have kids playing by the way) was just beyond stupid. That's why the track settled, because they would have lost in court for gross negligence. Sure you can hit a wall head-on in a turn if you just push straight through the turn. But generally in a turn you're going to be braking and going much slower. On a straight you're going to be going as fast as you can and having a solid wall there, in the straight, that you can hit head-on, was pure negligence on the part of the track.

Personally I think the widow was right in getting this settlement!

Kirk
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #24

I've spun my Boxster with traction control on. It was a powered spin, it was completely unintentional, and the TC did squat. Thankfully it was on a broad road with lots of flat area. Bottom line, PSM only does so much, it won't save you from your stupidity, and sometimes not even from happenstance.

Placing it at fault in this situation is total BS. Not so much that I don't think people might appreciate it in a CGT, but the more cases that go this way and cost carmakers money, the more likely TC toggles will be **************** and you'll never actually be able to turn them off completely:P

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #25

My editorial comment. 4.5M is not much for a wrongful death action. But I guess it depends on what you think your life is worth.

If Bill Gates was the passenger that died that day, I think it would be a bit more. A homeless person going for a ride, I think a bit less.

The case settled. There was no judge. There was no jury. There was no blame assigned to anyone. The case settled without a trial. The parties and their attorneys and insurance companies came up with a 4.5M pot for Rudl's widow. I bet this case was actually mediated and then settled.

I am suprised the settlement was not confidential. I do not know the source of the article, or if it is accurate.

If the article is accurate then I am not shocked that the track and organizers paid 41% to settle the case. The concrete barriers were moved for a NASCAR event, in order to create more room for a playground. The flagman waive the Ferrari on the track at an unsafe time, or the driver did not follow the flagman's instructions. Which begs the question. The Ferrari driver, due to yet another design issue with the track, could not see a car in his path going 130 mph.

I feel sorry for the Ferrari driver. 2 people died trying to avoid him. But according to the article that is 2% and I suspect his insurance company took care of it.

And that is why it is called an accident....

Last edited by Tool Pants; 10-25-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #26

In my opinion, you can argue up and down for days about PSM and whether it should be on certain cars and if it would change the outcome of events once you are really in over your head. I respect Porsche for building the CGT the way they did, and to me, the problem is really the fact that anyone with enough money can purchase a car like this and the obvious problem being the unskilled driver in a ridiculously fast car.

What I'm really bothered by in this case, is the concrete wall. Hitting something like at 130MPH would ruin anyone's day, and that does qualify as gross negligence as far as I see it with regard to the operators of the track.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:19 AM   #27

Opinions are like lawyers, we have too many of both!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:19 AM   #28

Which of course, is another opinion!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #29

If the article is accurate then "in my opinion" the lawyer for the Estate of Rudl did a good job for his client.

No one forced Porsche and/or it's insurance companies(s) to contribute a penny towards the settlement pot.

If Porsche had a something to prove, or to protect the reputation of the CGT, or the reputation of the company, or to point fingers, then Porsche could have refused to contribute a penny to the settlement pot and go to trial by itself.

Same thing for all the other defendants in the case.

The case settled, for whatever reasons.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #30

Porsche likely settled to avoid the legal costs that would be incurred in going to trial. And of course to avoid the hazards of litigation. What is the cost of settling versus the cost of going to trial. I'm sure the lawyers of their product liability and general liability insurance carrier would be pushing for that.

An adverse finding in trial could hurt their reputation more than a settlement.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #31

It is a race track. Cars crash at race tracks. There is nothing you can do to prevent this. All that can be done is attempt to minimize injury and death. The California Speedway negligently failed to do this when they constructed the concrete barrier in the manner that they did. They also created a dangerous track environment that lead to this crash. I blame the poor wall design for the death of the two men.
God Bless

Hacks: De-Snorkeled, Clutch Swich, Debadged, Red Seatbelts, Painted Bumperettes,
986S Badge, EVO Intake, SuperSprint Exhaust, Fabspeed Cat Bypass
My Car: http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd74/zackwatt/
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote