Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #1

Royal Purple: B.S or not?

I just wanted to know if anyone has used Royal Purple motor oil, and if its any good. I know we have to use M1 0w40, which is what I have now, but Royal Purple claims hp gain with theirs. Is this true or just another gimic?

Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
bmussatti

HP gains...I don't think so. But, it is a very good oil. Better than Mobil 1???

I use Red Line. Again, a very good oil. Better than Mobil 1??? But, I like it.

CJ Boxster uses RP I think.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
bmussatti

RP also makes a good gear oil.

Did you read this old thread?:

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7795&highlight=Royal+Purple
Old 10-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

It's a good true synthetic oil. So are Redline, Motul, Idemitsu and Amsoil. There will be people with favorites and argue until they're blue in the face for their product, but in general, they're all good at keeping your engine lubricated.

I've actually seen a couple of tests where horsepower increased in an engine using RP over other brands, but by such a small amount that you'd never notice it, and any change your fuel economy change won't be noticeable either.

In short, most of these synthetics are good oils for any car but you'd probably never notice any difference between them. By the way, I use RP in my Boxster.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I've never used any Royal Purple products. I am however a fan of the PowerBlock television shows on Spike TV (and similar shows on other networks). I believe Royal Purple is a sponsor and I've watched multiple episodes where they change all of the standard fluids and replace them with Royal Purple synthetics. I realize they are testing on a chassis dyno and replacing more than just the engine oil. They usually change rear gear oil, transmission oil as well as engine oil. It is impressive to see gains with the fluid changes, no matter how small. I have no idea how the Royal Purple would compare to other synthetics. I've only seen them compare it to conventional oils. You can watch some video clips on this site.

http://www.royalpurple.com/video/video.html

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I use it, I use the Engine oil and Gear oil in my 5 speed transmission. I've used it in my high mileage TT and when used with "engine Flush" and injector cleaner, by the middle of the second oil change my 84,000 mile 1990 Nissan 300zx TwinTurbo ran so smooth that friends that just got in the passenger seat would tell me "Start the car already!" but she was already idling. So i, myself have had great results with it.

I've also used it in my 40,000 mile Eclipse Gst and before changing the oil to RP, i had to remove the valve cover to replace sparkplug Orings and seen how brown the cam lobs were stained from age and such. After replacing the valve cover and using RP for about 3500 miles, i had to take care of the Oring issue again so off came the valve cover and the cam lobs looked like they been polished so that there told me the polishing claim that RP mentions is no joke... I would tell you how the internals looked of the block but I've never had a complete engine failure since using RP.

Got to love that polishing feature the RP has!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:38 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
What weight RP are you using CJ? For some reason the RP at my local Kragen's is less $ then the Mobil 1 synthetics,does this sound right?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:54 AM   #8

I use 10w40, its no longer recommended by porsche but it was on the approved oils list at one time. Ummm well i dont know what the Mobile1 costs but my RP is about $5.65 a quart.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 10-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I use 10w40, its no longer recommended by porsche but it was on the approved oils list at one time. Ummm well i dont know what the Mobile1 costs but my RP is about $5.65 a quart.

WOW, that's cheap for RP. Red Line is over $9/quart now. Mobil 1 is getting close to $7/quart now.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #10

Ill try calling the service center i buy it from to confirm the price, it might have gone up since i bought my last case 3 months ago.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 10-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Does anyone know why Porsche would remove it from the approved oil list?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:03 AM   #12

I dont know, I do remember reading on renntech that 10w40 was for warmer climates and Southern California's weather fit right in the temp range recommended for 10w40 but they removed it and if you ask Porsche why, i think they are very blunt with there answer... Something along the lines of "Because it is no longer approved" which is not really the answer you want to hear.

OK called my Performance Service Center in Torrance Ca and Royal Purple 10W40 is $6.38, Price goes up with gas prices doesnt it???

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 10-23-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #13
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Does anyone know why Porsche would remove it from the approved oil list?
Maybe it was due to valve tappet noise.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #14

Could be, I wonder if there is anyone here that can confirm with there boxster weather not the tapping noise went away after switching from 10w40 to 0w40.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #15
bmussatti

Quote:
Could be, I wonder if there is anyone here that can confirm with there boxster weather not the tapping noise went away after switching from 10w40 to 0w40.
Could even be something as simple as better gas mileage. 1 or 2 extra MGP's. I don't think a 10W40 oil is considered an "Energy Conserving" viscosity. I know for sure an oil like 20W50 is NOT. I might be wrong about the 10W40.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #16
Porscheectomy

Quote:
0w-40 and 10w-40 are the same viscosity when warm.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #17
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
0w-40 and 10w-40 are the same viscosity when warm.

But the noise happens when the oil is cold...at start-up.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #18
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
But the noise happens when the oil is cold...at start-up.
I believe Porsche qualifies lifter tapping as "normal" on a cold engine. In which case, tapping when warm is when you should be concerned.