Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #1

Mixing tire brands

Context:
I have Michelin PS2s all around. The fronts are due for a change but the rears still have some life left in them (not for lack of trying).

So I am shopping around and being told to not mix anything with Michelins because the side wall is much stiffer and will cause very noticeable handling effects. That other brands can be mixed but not with Michelins

I'll probably get another 5-8k miles left on the rears and want to get what I can out of them so I would to have to change them out prematurely.

Any experience out there with mixing another brand with the PS2s?

boxstershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I wouldn't mix, it could cause problems. You should check eBay for used fronts with the same thread life left as the rears. I recently found a 1/2 thread pair of rears for $65 on eBay, plus $35 on shipping.
Hope this Helps!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I wouldn't mix, it could cause problems. You should check eBay for used fronts with the same thread life left as the rears. I recently found a 1/2 thread pair of rears for $65 on eBay, plus $35 on shipping.
Hope this Helps!
Did you find someone to mount them?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Their my snow tires, and the're still being shipped I am comparing a couple places, but the rim mounting and balancing looks like it will be about $50-70.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Their my snow tires, and the're still being shipped I am comparing a couple places, but the rim mounting and balancing looks like it will be about $50-70.
I ask because some places won't mount tires that didn't come from their shop for liability reasons.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #6

"I have Michelin PS2s all around. The fronts are due for a change but the rears still have some life left in them (not for lack of trying)....

I'll probably get another 5-8k miles left on the rears and want to get what I can out of them so I would to have to change them out prematurely."

Wow, is that your first set of rears to go wity your front tires? I have about 12K on my front PS2's and they have almost 1/4 inch of tread left. My rear PS2's have a little over 2K on them and they have 3/16 on outside and 2/16 on the inside.

I have mostly been behaving myself and I do not track the car. I love the PS2's, but it looks like I will only get around 5K out of the rears again. Thats too rich for my blood, I will need to get a cheaper set of tires when I finally wear out the fronts.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:52 AM   #7
bmussatti

Don't mix tires. Can make all kinds of problems from harmonic inbalance to oversteer/understeer problems.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #8

rick3000: That's a possibility, not a bad idea, thanks

Blue2000: I've never heard of the liability issue in Canada. Changing summer and winters is big business here so everyone does it although probably not dealerships, I haven't had the experience asking them to install used tires.

edevlin: I bought the car with these tires on it. I didn't really consider being caught in a "Michelin spiral"... I liked the PS2s but I want to try other brands. Being stuck with them in the spiral kind of makes me want to get rid of them.

Maybe I'll change all 4 and sell my rear PS2s on ebay!

Thanks for your guidance box people!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:28 AM   #9

I keep hearing stories

of PS2s getting 5k. Get a good alignment from someone who sets up racing Porsches and ask him to bias the rear alignment towards even tire wear. No reason not to get 15k out of those rears.

If you get 5k, you are set up wrong and driving too hard. Or get some track tires.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
bmussatti

I have just over 17K on my PS2's. I hope to get a few thousand more miles on them next Spring. Will replace with the same.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #11

I really do like the PS2s. I just would like to explore other tires that I hear good things about to make up my own opinion.