Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #1

Cold Air Intake

For those that are not that familar with the brand, TTP is a German company that makes parts for the Boxster. I have one of their cold air intakes which is a strange beast. It has a very nice carbon fiber air box, custom BMC air filter element, and a very nice machined aluminum holder for the air filter and MAF sensor.

Link to TTP

On the other hand, they normally come with something that looks like a thick dryer-hose connection that connects to the engine. The folks that installed the intake found a very small vacuum leak in the stock hose, so they built a very nice aluminium connection. I just took out the filter element to clean and thought you may want to see some photos of the intake,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Edevlin,

I want to swap out my current Powerflow intake and get the TTP one you have. Where did you purchase it from? How much did it cost you?

Thanks,
James.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #3

How about you put a little electric blower in the middle of that air pipe?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Damn that looks like some high quality stuff! Did you actually notice any butt dyno gains when you installed it?
Old 10-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #5

I got the unit and got it installed at Autothority Pitstop in DC. It cost around 800.00, just parts, not installation. Could not tell about the butt dyno with just the intake, because they also chipped the car at the same time. As a result the butt and the Dynajet dyno both said it was quicker, I think it was putting out in the high 190's hp to the wheels range.

That being said, I suspect if you only installed the intake, you would get the sensation that the car was faster because of all the cool sounds it makes. I know folks talk a lot about it, but if your car sounds fast, it feels fast. BTW, the folks at Autothority Pitstop did some more tuning of the chip they put in the car a few weeks ago.

I plan on having a dyno pull done this monday. So far, the best I have gotten so far was just a little over 200 hp to the wheels. I have found the Dynojet dyno that I have been using (Performance Autosport in Richmond, VA), may not be accurate, but it seems very consistant and realistic with the nature of the mods done.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 10-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #6

Cool, looking forward to seeing your dyno results! Do you or does anyone here know how the TTP intake compares with the EVO intake or any of the various other offerings, in terms of build quality, performance, sound, and MAF issues?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #7

"Cool, looking forward to seeing your dyno results! Do you or does anyone here know how the TTP intake compares with the EVO intake or any of the various other offerings, in terms of build quality, performance, sound, and MAF issues?"

I had acutally ordered an EVO intake that I was going to install when I went to the shop to get my car chipped. They showed me the disign of the airbox of the TTP unit, and according to them, there is much better clearance all around the filter element because of the design of the TTP carbon-fiber airbox, which could provide higher flow rates.

I cannt imagine that the flow into any cone-type filter would be restricted much, even in a less-than-optimal fit in the airbox, especially for a non-forced induction application. But still, I am all about optimizing what the normally-aspirated 2.7L can do.

The parts quality is also very high, except for the stock connecting hose that comes with the TTP unit. The final straw was when the folks at the shop said they optimized the chip for a 2.7L 2000 Boxster that was fitted with the TTP airbox and TTP headers, so I jumped in.....

Ed

:dance:

Old 10-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #8

I have seen various cold air intakes over the years. Don't remember one where the air flow sensor ended up in the box.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yeah havent seen one either with it inside the box.
but looks the same as evo one pretty much
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #10

"I have seen various cold air intakes over the years. Don't remember one where the air flow sensor ended up in the box."

Interesting, I wonder why they chose that design. I suspect most of the high-flow parts of the design for their airbox was done for the 3.2L engines and their twin-turbo packages, which can take greater advantage of the airflow it provides. It also strikes me as funny that they use carbon fiber for the box, cannt be an appreciable weight advantage, and its got cost more than plastic or fiberglass, curious.

Ed

Old 10-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That looks great!
What have done to the car to get an extra 60HP out of it?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #12

"What have done to the car to get an extra 60HP out of it?"

Ha, I wish we were talking 60 hp, I think the most recent dyno pull I did showed a little more than 20 hp over stock.

Ed