Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #1

Question Buying large items from U.S.A any help would be great.

Hi,i was wondering and if some guided help if anyone from canada has bought large items like bumpers,side panels,hardtops from the u.s.a. Since some of these items are large are they trucked into canada,and any problems i should look out for?As to buying a item would sending money order to the company be best since its already exchanged into american rate and on record at the bank?I've bought smaller stuff threw paypal and visa but this item is large bill, i will be paying around $6,000+.Its the Zeintop hardtop cayman thingy.Just not sure if this company has it or giving fase advertismnet or how i can protect myself for sending a large amount of money. thanks if any replies.

eomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:12 AM   #2

Use a credit card. If there are any problems all you have to do is write the CC card company a letter and they will pull the charge back untill the problem is resolved. With a money order once it's cashed you are on your own.

It has been a while since I have done any import/export but generally if you are going to use a trucking company you will have to do all the customs documents yourself (hassle)or hire a brokerage company (expensive). I think that UPS and Fed EX both have freight divisions now that could handle these items. The advantage to using UPS or Fed EX will be how fast it travels thru customs. Usually the documents clear customs the day before the goods hit the border. Unless you plan on doing the paperwork yourself UPS/FED EX will usually be cheaper than a broker on the paperwork side as well.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #3

eomak,

Are you buying direct from Zeintec or from their Canadian reseller Autotech Innovations?

Please keep us informed with your ordering/receiving/installation of the zeintop. Let me know if you want to sell the oem hardtop.

Chris_Craft is offline   Reply With Quote