Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #1

Question Some minor aesthetic cleanup issues?

Hello everyone - I am truly asking an ID10T question today. First off, let me give a disclaimer up front: This is a general question about sprucing up a car but it is not really boxster focused yet (and hopefully won't be for a long time)

I spilled some glue (3-4 sq inch spot) on my beater car and now my beater car has an icky "permanent bird stain" on one side. Did I forget to mention the "glue" was quickset epoxy? Now see why this is an ID10T?

-Got any advice for removal?

I also got a bunch of tape-goo on my cars dash and need some tips for removal. BTW - I also attached some velcro for low profile radar dector mounts on my 986's dash which will eventually need to be removed and/or replaced. How do I proceed in:

-Getting tape goo off without hurting a dash
-Removing velcro stuck to the dash (bad decision?)

JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #2

Unless you have vinyl seats with armoral ont them, epoxy on anything fabric ain"t coming off. You can try to pick at it to make it less obvious but that's about it. It might help if you wait until winter. The freezing weather may make the epoxy more fragile. But unsticking it completely? I don't think so.

The film adhesive used for tape and velcro are similar unless you used epoxy for the velcro in which case...see above. First, try putting tape over the adhesive and peeling it off. Repeating as required. This might pull off some if not all of it. If that's not succesful, start with the least harmful chemicals and work you way up. Before each step, test it out in an inconspicuous area. Try mild soaps, windex, fantastic, WD40, rubbing alcohol, Jack Daniels, varsol...and a little more Jack Daniels... you probably want to stay away from nail polish remover and paint stripper. Be aware that as you apply these chemical, you are probably damaging the shine of the area around the adhesive. So you have to determine if you would rather have adhesive or a dull spot. Of course you can try to shine up the dull spot afterwards.

If it doesn't work, get a dash board hula girl and stick it over the stain.
boxstershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:48 AM   #3

-I got the epoxy on the exterior paint - not interior vinyl.
-I think i'll give the rubbing alcohol a shot - I should have a bottle somewhere! (I just hope I didn't mess up the dashes up in both my cars )
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #4

For tape and velcro goo, you can buy glue/goo remover from Home Depot or any hardware store.

WD40 should also work, but be sure to remove any WD40 residue with mild soap and water when you are done.
tracke30m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #5

Bug & Tar remover

I have removed the goo left over after removing the velcro that holds my Radar detector on the dash. Occasionally the sun & heat will cause the goo to run in the summer time and I clean up with the same remover. Hasn't caused any damage (yet). I hear Bug & Tar remover is just neatly packaged kerosene !?!?!

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote