Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #1

$900 - 60K service

I just had this done this weekend and am feeling like I could have done these things myself and save some money but I just don't have the time to do them. I don't want to get scammed, not that a dealer would do that, would they?

I got these done:
1. Oil filter
2. Fuel filter
3. Cabin filter
4. Air filter
5. Spark plugs
6. Serpentine belt
7. Oil change
8. Threw in fixing a crack on my windshield
9. Threw in fixing my heated seat (some relay or something they said)
10. Coolant flush
11. Brake fluid flush
12. Duct debris cleaning

Is 900 bucks a good price? Also isn't it better when it comes to reselling the car, not that I ever would, when the 30K and 60K are done at a dealer?

conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #2

I've seen these range from 600-1000+, but then again, most of us know that dealerships do tend to overcharge. Even if we can justify their high labor rates, I'd bet you can find parts *much* cheaper than what they sell them for. So, even if you are not mechanically inclined and/or don't have the tools/time etc., you could save some $ by getting the parts from a place other than the local dealership counter.

However, if you do that they may not be inclined to "throw in" extras

To your point about reselling the car, others may disagree, but I strongly believe that a potential buyer would prefer a dealership serviced car, and even more so if the buyer is a p-car novice. The only exception would be if the shop that did the service on your car is very well regarded (and the buyer knows of them).
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #3

Some of those things should have been done earlier like the spark plug change at 45K but if your getting ALL of that done at once, I think it's a good deal. Especially with the brakes bled and coolant flushed.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #4

Ya I did some pricing for all the parts above and totalled everything to around $250 bucks. So I guess I'm paying them 650 bucks for labor. That's a day's work at my barbershop so I guess it's worth my time to get it done right. Hehe..
Old 10-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #5

I just DIY'd my major service, including:

cabin air filter - $19
engine air cleaner - $15
oil - $60
oil filter - $14
spark plugs - $45
tranny gear oil - $20
handheld transfer pump (to pump gear oil into tranny) - $12

total = $185 plus 5 hours of my time.

~~~~~

Given all you had done, I think $900 was a pretty good deal. Figure $250 in parts & supplies, which leaves $650 in labor. What you had done sounds like 8 to 10 hours of work, so you only paid about $80 per hour at most. That's a good deal.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #6

Thanks guys! I don't feel so "bent over" anymore.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Considering labor and parts it probably wasn't a bad deal. But the cabin filter is so easy to do you probably could have saved a few bucks there.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #8

conrad..we could have done those last weekend between the 2 of us and would only cost the parts...but what if we found an extra screws on the floor...what are we going to do next..hahahahahahaha!
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
boxsterz

My dealer wanted $83 bucks per CV boot. I found them online for $42 for all four! includes the grease and metal tie straps! They are same OEM manufacturer to boot. Saved $290... just enough for that Spa treament