Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 08:19 AM   #1

The dreaded RMS leak!

Okay, so I was reading some threads yesterday about the RMS issue and it compelled me to check my last service report.

I have a 2002 (non-S) and last November I had the 45K service at my local Porsche main-dealer. In that they advised that there was an oil leak from the Rear Main Seal and the oil separator had failed. The guy I spoke with said the failed Oil Separator was probably increasing the oil pressure in the crank case and causing the RMS leak (I have no idea what an RMS was then) and that replacing the Oil Separator would probably stop the leak. They did so ($700 including the part and labour) and all was well.

Anyway, it’s about to go back in for its yearly service (mileage now approx 49,900 as only drive it every couple of weeks) so the questions I have are:
- Should I ask them to check the RMS again? (or should I assume they will anyway?)
- If the RMS is still leaking should I insist on a repair? (at what cost?)
- If the leak is minor, is it an major issue and can it be left?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Rob

Tinted ambers
18inch Turbo Twists
British Flag!

Last edited by johnsonrj74; 10-09-2007 at 10:37 AM.
johnsonrj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
boxsterz

I would not mention it, and see if the mechanic picks it up. If the leak is minor (not dripping that you can notice on your garage floor), I would just keep driving merrily along keeping an eye on the engine oil level, and keep a quart or two with me on a long trip. I would change out RMS when it was due for a clutch swap, or some other reason...
Old 10-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
I would not mention it, and see if the mechanic picks it up. If the leak is minor (not dripping that you can notice on your garage floor), I would just keep driving merrily along keeping an eye on the engine oil level, and keep a quart or two with me on a long trip. I would change out RMS when it was due for a clutch swap, or some other reason...
Good point - no oil is visible on my garage floor at all - neither before the oil separator was replaced or since

Thanks

R
Tinted ambers
18inch Turbo Twists
British Flag!

Last edited by johnsonrj74; 10-09-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

Don't you want to know if it's leaking? I don't understand why anyone would want to ignore a problem if you've got it. Even if you're unaware of a problem, it won't just go away.

I'd ask for them to check it and see if it's bad enough to need a replacement.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Don't you want to know if it's leaking? I don't understand why anyone would want to ignore a problem if you've got it. Even if you're unaware of a problem, it won't just go away.

Another good point- the main concern is: Could this leak be the pre-cursor to an RMS failure? Given the potential cost of those, should I even consider taking a chance ...

R
Tinted ambers
18inch Turbo Twists
British Flag!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s

If it were leaking that bad, don't you think you'd see evidence on the floor or the car taking oil? If it makes you feel better hearing it from the Pcar mechanic and paying the dealership x amount to fix it, and that seems to be the prevalent thing to do here, I won't stand in your way. I have the unpopular view of thinking for myself, and seeing for myself. That's just me. What happens when you take the word of an "expert" (MNboxster :chicken: ? more on that later...) You become a slave.

I am aware that things don't fix themselves, but if it's a *slightly weeping* RMS like I have, then for me, it's not a call for RMS replacement. I wouldn't classify mine as a leak, it looks very slightly wet and that's about it, no drips... yet. The dealer would love to service me on this I'm sure. For those folks easily swayed to be on the safe side, I can understand. OTOH, there are those of us that woud like to spend that $$ somewhere else (turbo kit?? )

Which brings me to my suggestion. If the mechanic finds the leak on his own, then it's very possible the leak is bad enough to warrant replacement. If he misses it, then there may not be suffiecient oil "leak" to be spotted... (or maybe he's having a bad day)...

Whatever the case, a diligent owner should be able to deduce the signs of a RMS leak on their own. I suppose it comes down to trusting the dealership or trusting yourself. Since I'm fairly mechanical, I trust myself...YMMV.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonrj74
Another good point- the main concern is: Could this leak be the pre-cursor to an RMS failure? Given the potential cost of those, should I even consider taking a chance ...

R

That's the real meat right there, "chink in the dam" before the deluge?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonrj74

R
An RMS leak is the same as an RMS failure. The cost is the same, fixing it requires replacing the Rear Main Seal. Letting it leak for a while doesn't drive the repair cost up, unless you let the engine run out of oil!

I don't recall anyone ever reporting that their RMS just suddenly "failed", gushing oil out and killing the engine. It'd have to pretty much completely blow the seal out to leak that badly. It just leaks... slowly at first, then sometimes getting worse as time goes on. As long as you pay attention to your garage floor and your oil level, you should be OK.

Don't confuse the RMS leak issue with an IMS failure. The two have nothing to do with each other.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
....Don't confuse the RMS leak issue with an IMS failure. The two have nothing to do with each other.
Jack,

I think you've hit the nail on the head! Many thanks to all for your contributions- let's see if they mention the leak at the next service!

Thanks

R

Tinted ambers
18inch Turbo Twists
British Flag!