Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM   #21
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Nice Car!
^ And people do love them. I always have people at the gas station asking me why I am putting gas in the front, and were the engine is.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyer
LOL, it was a sweet deal, under $22K 65K miles. I was seeking a steal on an 911 too...got to stick with a mid flat 6 though, afraid that the increase in power would be trumped by the handling char of a mid-position Boxster. Plus, my(our) bank account has already taken enough of a beaten!

This is my first eBay motors purchase...anyone else buy their 986/987 off of eBay?
I located my BoxsterS on Ebay. It was a trade in at a local Acura dealer. I went down to the showroom checked it out, loved it but the car didn't meet the reserve by the end of the auction. I took a major risk because another $100 or so and some chick who sold doggie sweaters would be driving around in my Porsche!
I made a deal with the dealership off ebay they relisted it and I got a Ebay Motors rebate and the dealer got a positive feedback for the ebay profile. It had about 9 or 10K miles and was just out of warranty. Saved a ton of dinero on depreciation.
Crazy thing is I bought it with only a 15 minute test drive and no PPI check. Ahhhh seems like yesterday...and many co$metic mod$ ago. Still ranks as the best depreciation purchase I have ever made.

I've drove a 987S Boxster and I didn't think it was hugely faster or tighter than my 986S. Better but not a big enough jump to justify the extra pennies. Now I haven't yet driven a BoxsterS with a CaymanS motor, I think a 50HP difference is the minimum of what I would need to consider parting with my Boxster. I did drive, and a real drive by the way, a CaymanS and in my opine that's a completely different, faster, tighter, louder car. That's the car that spoiled my BoxsterS experience. I must think about that every other day. It's like a human horsepower glove, if that makes sense. I've driven every 996 but the GT's and they don't compare. I've been watching the prices and they are coming down fast. But I just can't fathom justifying having a Boxster and a Cayman, two cars that seat a grand total fo four passengers seems excessive. What a conundrum.
p.s.
I also want a C4S as my mini-van grocery getter for fall and winter.
The crazy thing is I could probably buy all three and not cross $100K. Somehow I think four years from all three would still be worth a combined $75K. Not bad..
Can you imagine waking up on a Summer Saturday morining deciding which of my THREE Porsches I should drive that day? Good time to be a Porsche buyer.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-09-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:06 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp987
I bought my '01S off ebay. Drove down to look at it. Looked it over inside/out/under. Drove it. Perfect. Bought it, no ppi. 6 months later perfect.

Funny story, but hope you don't end up sleeping in that thing, november and all. Interesting wheels. Who makes 'em?
Looks like RUFF Racing 280 series 18's to me, check 'em out here

Wife is a-okay with the whole deal, looks like I'm in the clear!

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap

I did drive, and a real drive by the way, a CaymanS and in my opine that's a completely different, faster, tighter, louder car. That's the car that spoiled my BoxsterS experience.
I drove an '07 Cayman S manual and 06 Cayman S w/tip during my search. Drove a bunch of local 986 S's too. The tiptronic on the 06 Cayman S was a bad experience for me, could not get use to not having traditional control over the gears, I felt that the response when I jumped on it didn't translate fast enough for me. The '07 Cayman S 6-speed was much much better, very fast, however, even the earlier 986S's I drove compared to and even felt faster to me. While I was test-driving the 07 Cayman S, a guy came in to pick up his triple-black Cayenne Turbo, wow, what a beautiful truck.

'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold

Last edited by tboyer; 11-09-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Nice Car!
^ And people do love them. I always have people at the gas station asking me why I am putting gas in the front, and were the engine is.
A funny story is when I was getting in my old 986 with a bunch of teenage girls parked right next to it. They all commented on the car and how they thought it was beautiful, like me! I though Chris Hanson from To Catch a Predator was going to pop out! I smiled, said thanks, and drove away...Sorry Chris, no story here

'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold

Last edited by tboyer; 11-09-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #26
blkboxster

Looks awesome congrats, nice looking wheels