Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #1

Litronic prices up?

I have been looking at litronics for my 2000 986S and eyed the suncoast price of $1500 for a while. I sat down with my visa the other day only to be dissapointed that they are now $2500! I was told that 2 weeks ago Porsche raised the price! does anyone have a line on a place I can get a set for a more reasonable price?

DYNO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #2

dude just get a HID kit on ebay for $100 and save yourself $2400. See my post about it here

ITs the best upgrade I've done to my porsche.
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*

Last edited by pteam; 10-06-2007 at 07:21 PM.
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #3

Pteam, did you ever get around to writing up a DIY on that kit?
Pat1USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteam
dude just get a HID kit on ebay for $100 and save yourself $2400. See my post about it here

ITs the best upgrade I've done to my porsche.
I strongly dissagree. The litronics and your HIDs look the similar at night, but nothing updates the look of the porsche like a set of projector headlights. The litronics are a total facelift, not just a means for better visability. Also, the light will never be right without the cutout of a projector lense in a HID kit.

As far as the price hike- wait it out, someone will post some for sale on here or ebay. I recenty bought mine on ebay new for 1400. By far the best upgrade I have done in the looks department. Think about it, ever single new Lexus, Mercedes, Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Martin, Land Rover, Lotus, and Porsche all have projector headlights- It is an instant update.

Last edited by maxferran; 10-07-2007 at 11:07 AM.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #5

Could not agree with Max more on this one. I think I've shared my opinion more than once on here regarding the problems of HID "kits" into halogen based (especially reflector) housings, so I won't repeat that here. The Litronics, however, are a HUGE cosmetic upgrade to your Porsche, that alone is worth the price of admission to me.

Wait it out, there is always a deal. The $1500 deal was when everyone was buying them, and the larger dealers (Suncoast, Brandywine, etc) were buying them in bulk from Porsche. Now that the demand is MUCH lower, dealers are ordering these in small quantities, so Porsche isn't cutting them any deals, and thus, the dealers aren't cutting you any deals. Try DPS Motorsport, and of course, look on eBay. I would NOT, however, consider buying a set used. Whatever you save on a used set (since they always seem to be over-valued on eBay) will be quickly eaten up as soon as you have to replace an HID capsule.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
Also, the light will never be right without the cutout of a projector lense in a HID kit.
I disagree.

I've driven and been in my Pops 996 w/ litronics plenty of times and driven my 986 w/ Silverstars and noticed almost nothing different between the two.......

The only difference I can even tell is the actual coloring of the headlights when the lights are one(litroincs have a blue tint) and the length of the lighting from the Litronics(the length of the lighting is slightly longer length wise).