Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 06:57 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Cheap R-Compound Tires

I was killing time this morning and was looking at R compound tires. Since a lot of people on here use Kuhmos hopefully someone could get a good deal.

Kuhmo Ecsta V700

225/40ZR18 $235/each
265/35ZR18 $225/each,closeout for $99/each

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTireResults.jsp?loadRank=2&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&vehicleSearch=true&startIndex=0&autoYear=1999&frontRatio=40&autoModClar=&frontDiameter=18&rearWidth=265%2F&rearDiameter=18&frontWidth=225%2F&autoMake=Porsche&rearSortCode=54300&minSpeedRating=V&frontSortCode=53650&autoModel=Boxster&rearRatio=35&performance=C&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&RunFlat=All

Last edited by blinkwatt; 10-02-2007 at 07:03 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:10 AM   #2

At checkout they say they are no longer available. Oh well.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Where do you get "R-compound" from? if your referring to the R that comes after Z, as in 265/35 ZR 18.... R just stands for Rim as in Z-rated Rim size 18. Its on nearly every Z tire i've ever seen. Even the cheap stuff

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Where do you get "R-compound" from? if your referring to the R that comes after Z, as in 265/35 ZR 18.... R just stands for Rim as in Z-rated Rim size 18. Its on nearly every Z tire i've ever seen. Even the cheap stuff
My mistake,don't know where I got that idea from. I guess they are just track & competition tires.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #5

Wait,what exactly are R-compound tires? I thought any tire designed for track & competitions but driveable everyday on the street is a R-compound tire

european car has opted to classify everything that falls between the minimal D.O.T. certification and the top of the line Max-grip tire as an R-compound tire.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0408ec_performance_tire_guide_r_compounds/index.html

Last edited by blinkwatt; 10-02-2007 at 11:42 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Are these R-compound, i dont see any R anywhere but they are street/summer legal and race ready

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product.aspx?IV=true&YW=1998&MA=PORSCHE&MD=Boxster+w%2f17+Inch+Tire+Opt.+(Rear)&SP=0&MN=11419&cat=3961&lang=en-US&MNo=0&Prodid=11237875&Aspect=40&Diameter=17&Speed=W&Width=255

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #7

These are R compound tires :

http://www.kumhousa.com/tires/passenger/competition.do

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Wait,what exactly are R-compound tires? I thought any tire designed for track & competitions but driveable everyday on the street is a R-compound tire

european car has opted to classify everything that falls between the minimal D.O.T. certification and the top of the line Max-grip tire as an R-compound tire.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0408ec_performance_tire_guide_r_compounds/index.html
mmm..you can't really drive an R-comp everyday. Puts allot of strain on the drive train. Also, I'm not sure if heat cycling is an issue--you may end up with Flintstone's wheels, too hard.... and there is standing water to deal with as well.
The "R-Comp" usually have the bare minimum tread to pass for DOT. Not what you want in a daily driver but during rainy track events it doesn't seem to be an isssue.

R-comp was a tire industry reaction to some grassroots formulas banning slicks in favor of DOT approved tires for their events. They basically took the sticky slicks and carved out tread for wet weather. But now some sereis require not only DOT but a certain minimum tread wear.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
mmm..you can't really drive an R-comp everyday. Puts allot of strain on the drive train...
? ?? Not true at all. In fact almost all of my porsche driving - street and track - is done on "R" compound tires. Toyo RA1, Khumo Victoracers, BFG R1s (first genreation)Yoke A032 and A008s (yes, those go back quite a few years).

While it may not be the best "street tire" due to their quicker wear rates and less tread blocks (for water evacuation), they are perfectly fine driven on the street.

Also not sure why you would say they "put allot of strain on the drivetrain" - How?

As to the OP,. the Ecsta V700s were a bust as "R" comp tires. Khumo's V710, and Victoracer V700s were/are superior to the ECSTA version.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #10

How do you measure the amount of use you get from these R-rated track tires? I am wondering how long a set would last. I have resisted tracking my car because I hate to see my PS2's getting rubbed down to nubs in no time flat. I have an extra set of rims to play with....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
How do you measure the amount of use you get from these R-rated track tires? I am wondering how long a set would last. I have resisted tracking my car because I hate to see my PS2's getting rubbed down to nubs in no time flat. I have an extra set of rims to play with....

Ed

Your half way there! Load em up on your spare rims. Then, if you feel you are using them too much, just swap back and forth.

That said, I tended to measure my R comps in "track days"... Compared to the mileage on the track, street driving is very easy on tires. Most of the wear is from Camber settings. That said, on both the 911 and Boxster, I couldnt get enough negative camber in the front, and thus, I wore out fronts much more quickly than the rears on Both cars.

I am not the best barometer on R comp wear. I would get "one season" - say.. 6-8 autocrosses and 4-5 DE events (10 track days) at best. Sometimes 2 sets of tires for the longer "seasons".

"How fast do you want to go? how much you wanna pay "
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
Track rat

Garage
Lots of guys around here run DOT comp (R comp) tires every day. Sticky tread, stiff sidewall, wear out fast. The most popular is the Toyo RA-1. With a wear rating of 100 it's not as sticky as Victroracers but it's a pretty good comp tire and reasonably priced. Most guys get at least one season on them. If you commute 150 miles on the freeway every day this is probably not your daily tire. Fast on a track...Not a good choice for driving comfort.

Last edited by Topless; 10-04-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
R=Radial (nearly all car tires are radial)

the OP is correct, these are R-compound tires. Decent, but no longer competitive.
boxstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
? ?? Not true at all. In fact almost all of my porsche driving - street and track - is done on "R" compound tires. Toyo RA1, Khumo Victoracers, BFG R1s (first genreation)Yoke A032 and A008s (yes, those go back quite a few years).

While it may not be the best "street tire" due to their quicker wear rates and less tread blocks (for water evacuation), they are perfectly fine driven on the street.

Also not sure why you would say they "put allot of strain on the drivetrain" - How?

As to the OP,. the Ecsta V700s were a bust as "R" comp tires. Khumo's V710, and Victoracer V700s were/are superior to the ECSTA version.
I drove the RA1 not really as a daily driver but put well north of 10K miles on the weekends. One of the great things about the RA1 is the mileage you can get out of them...BUT not something I would do again. After about 7 months I could definitely tell that the car was feeling the strain, particularly through the steering wheel in corners. creaking, rattles, etc. All this went away almost immediately after mounting the regular street tires where grip took a huge dive but the car ran smoother.
its only logical that a stickier tire will work the drive train, suspension, joints,etc. a great deal more than a regular street compound.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #15

Cheap R compound tires ==
You might want to look at the Falken Azenis RT615 -- not R compound but cheap and sticky. Look at Discount Tire web site:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?rcz=85028&rc=AZRINT&tpc=FALHZA&tp=Passenger%2FPerformance&tc=FALHZA

The TOYO Proxes RA1 is a very good track tire and some of people drive them on the street. But, they are more expensive!

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?lpid=18968&name=Proxes%20RA-1%99&category=sport

As always, it comes back to how YOU use the car

Take care,
Ed
Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboxin
Cheap R compound tires ==
You might want to look at the Falken Azenis RT615 -- not R compound but cheap and sticky. Look at Discount Tire web site:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?rcz=85028&rc=AZRINT&tpc=FALHZA&tp=Passenger%2FPerformance&tc=FALHZA

The TOYO Proxes RA1 is a very good track tire and some of people drive them on the street. But, they are more expensive!

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?lpid=18968&name=Proxes%20RA-1%99&category=sport

As always, it comes back to how YOU use the car

Take care,
Ed
I've seen a lot of cars at autocrosses running the RT615 and doing very well. I found them at a great price at the following site.

http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

I will probably stick with R compounds for autocrossing; however, these seem like a great alternative if you don't want the super sticky ultra low treadlife stuff.

I have never bought from Vulcan Tire, just found their pricing to be very good.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote