Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #1

Anyone else ever get mad at Zaino?

I've used it in the past, and now I think i remember why I stopped. I got about $100 worth of products recently and I started the process today. Washed with Dawn to strip off the old wax, clay barred the car, washed again, then dried. Then I tried the Z-PC which is supposed to take out swirls and scratches. Prepare to be amazed it says! Well i followed the directions and applied by hand. Not even one OUNCE of difference. Every single swirl and scratch is still there. I applied it 3 times in one spot. NOTHING.

So i moved onto the Z-5 wax. Of course i HAD to mix it with the ZFX so that it would actually dry this decade. I added the stupid drops to the vial and followed the directions again, by hand. The coat was extrememly thin. I waited an hour for it to dry. When i went to take it off, it was ridiculously hard. So i used the Z-6 spray to assist. I used 4 microfiber towels and buffed the heck out of the car until I was dripping in sweat. It helped a little, but i still have a haze all over the car and it looks pretty bad. I don't know what it is, but its not coming off.

So in conclusion, what is up with this stuff? If it is indeed better than other waxes, is it really worth the extra pain and extra cost? Right now i say absolutely not. Maybe they should spend more time on trying to make the stuff easier to use.

Anyway, i just had to vent. I hate having my car not look good, and right now, I just spend 3 hours making it look hazed and swirled, not to mention that I'm exhausted.

Pat1USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
blkboxster

man that sucks, every time i use it it comes out perfect, i wonder why yours went wrong?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
bmussatti

I use Zaino exclusively, and love the results.

I have not used the Z-PC product. Don't know about how it works on swirls.

I have never had any problems using Z2 or Z5. Always easy to remove. Did you use too much?

If Z6 leaves a haze, wipe the panel with a damp rag, or mist with distilled water, and re-wipe/re-buff. This will remove the haze. A haze indicates that you are using too much product.

You should call or e-mail Sal Zaino in the morning. He is very responsive and stands behind his products.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #4

I think I just might. I was very dissapointed in the ZPC, and I'd like it to work, so I'll see what he says. I will try spraying the haze with some water and see what happens...
Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
bmussatti

Pat, send Sal an e-mail tonight, you might have an answer by morning. Sal is very responsive.

He is a great guy too. He donated several door-prizes for our Tail of the Dragon trip this past May.

Here are all of the contact numbers and e-mails:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Contact

What color is your Boxster?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #6

After a year or so of listening to people rave about the Zaino products I broke down and bought one of his kits. I did the wash, clay, Z6, Z5 (with ZFX) and Z5 (without ZFX) again. I am thoroughly impressed with the results. It somehow smoothed out a lot of the scratches and the paint almost looks wet. I can see how if you use anything but a thin layer it can be hard to get off. I wasn't all that excited about the ZFX as I got better results when I left the Z5 (without ZFX) on overnight.

One thing I did find out is after using Dawn to clean off the old wax my rotors rusted really bad. After 4 days of sitting it took me about 30 miles of driving and braking to get my braking back without pulsating. There was so much rust it actually covered the inside of my wheels with dust and some got on the outside surface. I will be washing and waxing the entire set of wheels this weekend.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #7

I just sent off an email. We'll see what he says.
The Boxster is Midnight Blue Metallic. Or whatever that color was in 2003, if it happened to change names over the years.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
zaino worked for me as well, every time, with great results.
i dont know what ure doing wrong.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:19 AM   #9
mts

I have also used Zaino with excellent results. Hopefully you'll find out what went wrong.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:13 AM   #10

Klasse. Great results, simple and easy to use.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:14 AM   #11
1JB

I've got midnight blue but never used the Z-PC. In the right angle under bright sunlight you can see very light swirl marks.

When you apply and remove Zaino don't use a circular motion. Use up and down and side way movements depending on the direction that light will hit the car. Hood from the windshiled to the front and doors straight up and down and left and right.

Be sure not to clean your towels using fabric softene. You'll get a lot of smearing if you use softener. I use heavy weight micro fiber towels. I do not like using the light weight cotton towels they don't remove the Zaino as well

You must live in a very humid place. I have never had to add the accelerator to
Z-5 only the Z-2. The Z-2 is easier to remove than the Z-5.

If your car is hazing you've got too much product on it. If you are spraying on the shine enhancer (Z-10?) be sure to apply it to a very small area and remove it quickly with a heavy micro fiber. If you don't you will get a haze.

Finally, I would think you should rewash the car with the Zaino Car wash and start over with Z-2 or Z-5.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #12

I'm not sure that many pro detailers that I know of turn to Z-PC as a proper swirl remover. For PC or Cyclo use the consensus is that Menzerma or Optimum Compound is the go to goop.
But I think you did the right thing by first trying a less abrasive swirl remover to see if it did the job. You want to avoid going to a tougher product right off the bat because you end up cutting away more clear coat than necessary. Z-PC is probably more a maintenance product for removing micro marring, similar to the Poorboy's SSR's.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #13

After having some minor bodywork done recently I clayed the car and applied Z5. First time I've used it. It must be applied very sparingly and allowed to dry completely. I waited a week and applied a second coat. I really was pleased with the result. Last weekend I applied a coat of Z2 on top of the Z5 and the shine is amazing. I go over the car weekly with the Z6 spray and I've had several P car owners ask me what I use. You do need to be patient using the Zaino products but I think the're great.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdancd816
After having some minor bodywork done recently I clayed the car and applied Z5. First time I've used it. It must be applied very sparingly and allowed to dry completely. I waited a week and applied a second coat. I really was pleased with the result. Last weekend I applied a coat of Z2 on top of the Z5 and the shine is amazing. I go over the car weekly with the Z6 spray and I've had several P car owners ask me what I use. You do need to be patient using the Zaino products but I think the're great.
on the bottles it says put veryyy light thin coats.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #15

Well i got a response, but it pretty much just reiterates what it says on the bottle and the website. He said I can call too, but I was at work all day. Maybe I'm just expecting too much? I look at the paint with a flourescent garage light shining on it. I looked at it this morning and it did have a nice shine to it. As for the haze, I guess I just need a thinner layer. I just get worried that I'm not applying enough when you can barely see where you've applied it.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat1USMC
Well i got a response, but it pretty much just reiterates what it says on the bottle and the website. He said I can call too, but I was at work all day. Maybe I'm just expecting too much? I look at the paint with a flourescent garage light shining on it. I looked at it this morning and it did have a nice shine to it. As for the haze, I guess I just need a thinner layer. I just get worried that I'm not applying enough when you can barely see where you've applied it.

Thanks for the input guys.

Glad you are making a little progress. With Zaino, less is best. Just do thinner, multiple coats about 12-24 hours apart.

I put a coat on, parked in the garage, then buff off the next day.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #17

Swirl Marks on Dark Finishes

I've been using Zaino products on my '07 speed yellow Boxster for almost a year with excellent results. The car was brand new when I started with Zaino so I didn't use any clay.

Prior to my Boxster, I had a black '06 Nissan 350Z. I also started using Zaino products when the car was new. The results were also excellent, but the car had very light scratch (swirl) marks which could not be totally eliminated. I think it is just the nature of dark finishes. In certain light the marks show. My yellow car, no doubt, has very light scratches also but they simply don't show. (For this reason, I won't buy a very dark car again.)

As you've been advised, use very little, let dry thoroughly and wipe off with straight strokes.

Good luck.

Ken
Ken Corsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:51 PM   #18
cartagena

Wax On ---> Wax Off!

I never heard of this product before but after listening to everyone here rave about it I decided I wanted to try it.

The FAQ on their site recommends buying this:

So for the ultimate, your shopping list includes ZFX (or Z-1), Z-2, Z-6, Z-7, Z-18 and a couple of #314's applicator pads. For minor imperfections, pick up some Z-5.

Geee....only 8 products to use. I wonder if I can do this before a bird drops a load on the car?

At what point did washing the car become so complicated? Also, there is too much to read on the web site. Is there something that will make the car shine with two easy steps like "Step 1: Wash. Step 2: Apply this stuff". Done.

I think I am going to buy the stuff though to give it a try. Do I really have to buy everything? How long does the entire cleaning/polishing process take?

Last edited by cartagena; 10-04-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #19

It works for me

I realize I may be "beating a dead horse", but I have had great results using Zaino products. I have a 2006 Boxster S, Arctic Silver Metallic. It takes about an ounce (!) of their Z-5 or Z-2 polish to do the whole car. Of course, since I am particularly lazy, the thin, light coat is something I love. I am sure there are other fine products out there, but I am very happy with my results. P.S.- I have also used their interior leather cleaning and preservation products with equally fine results.

cartagena ... sorry, Man, didn't immediately see your post. Probably don't need to start with all that stuff. I got the Z-5, Z-2, Z-6 and Z-7. First time, washed with Dawn, clayed (most clays will do) and applied a Z-5 and Z-2 coat with an intervening Z-6 spray/wipe down. First wash and waxes application, about 3 hours. Each wax application after a a Z-7 wash takes about an hour with about an ounce of wax. I alternate applications after several washes with Z-5, next wax after several washes with Z-2, etc. Car looks like it is made of glass!! Had one woman tell me that the car "... was so gorgeous, it is almost obscene!"

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-04-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #20

After using Zaino for 2 years, I switched to Klasse. Wash, Clay, Klasse and then use the Klasse Finisher wet on wet off, and you're done. It's SO MUCH less work, and the results are tremendous.
vincesf

vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote