Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #1

Another stupid question

I read from somewhere that the 97-99 model does not come with cup holder. I have a 2000 boxster but I can't seem to find it in my car?

ichiro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #2

I know I have an o2 and its right above the radio push in and they slide out

Last edited by joyfrog; 10-01-2007 at 08:32 PM.
joyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #3

I think the earliest cars (maybe just the 97 models) were equipped with flimsy removable cup holders that fit into holes on the side AC vents. I think Porsche stopped using that design because it worked so poorly.

I have a 2000 and it didn't have any cup holders in it. My friend has an 02 and his car has cup holders that fit in the center of the dash. I'm not sure whether they were added to the car in 2001 or 2002.

Porsche frowns on eating and drinking in its cars.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #4

from what I`ve heard never use the cup holders that fit on the vents they break the vent teeth.......my recommendation would be to either get the OEM cup holder that fits in the center dash console above the cd player or buy the aftermarket one that fits on the little door on your middle armrest console. Either way everyone needs a cup holder it gets cold in between your legs if its there awhile.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #5

Old 10-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #6

Cupholders were standard from 01 onwards - show in the pics in prior post. Design changes over the years. imo, the 01/02 are useless for most drinks due to size issues - and even if something fits it won't be held very well in any spirited driving.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb
Cupholders were standard from 01 onwards - show in the pics in prior post. Design changes over the years. imo, the 01/02 are useless for most drinks due to size issues - and even if something fits it won't be held very well in any spirited driving.
Yeah, you don't find alot of Sonic Route 66 or 7-11 Big Gulps in Germany...
Driving is not for eating, drinking, and distractions such as this.... it is for driving and at Autobahn speeds, you can only imagine what happens when a 100oz drink would go flying around the cockpit....After living there for quite some time you will see a trend......drive like maniacs (regardless of the make/model of car) speed to 135 in a station wagon (no kidding) for like 2 hours straight, then pull into a coffee shop off the highway and sit and relax for about 2 hours enjoying the day, then SMASH, drive like crazy again.....it is just the way they live.

I am sure that Porsche says, "silly Americans...." We don't need no stinking cupholders!

Last edited by meerzee; 10-02-2007 at 02:22 AM.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:18 AM   #8

1997-2000 was supposed to come with the clip-on vent cupholders.

Porsche pulled them from the 1997s. In the 1998 owners manual a slip of paper was put in stating that they were being redesigned and Porsche would contact owners and give them the new design.

Back then you could not buy this style in the US. Had to get them from Germany. I had a friend in Germany get me one.

Porsche never contacted anyone. The clip-on style was never redesigned. What happened instead is that Porsche ended up selling them in the US as a part. So what was intended to be a standard item in the car you had to buy. No wonder that company makes so much money.

Then the second gereration style in the pictures came out. I call this the pop-out style. For 2001 up Porsche eliminated the holes in the vents so you could no longer use the clip-on style.

Then in 2003 (2002 for the 996) Porsche came out with the pivot-out style.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfrog
That's a cupholder? No wonder I can't get my CDs to play!

Since I have to have a garbage recepticle in the car, I got a nice one that sits on the passenger floor just to the right of the stickshift and is connected to the stickshift cover to hold it up. It serves very nicely as a cupholder.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote