Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #1

Check Engine Light and new battery

Hi,
My battery died and just replace it with a new one. It has been installed for 3days now. I was driving home and the check Engine light just came on. Is it possible that hooking up the new batttery had anything to do with this.

Joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #2

I'm beginning to believe anything is possible with Boxster CEL's. But, I think it is more likely that this is a coincidence. Something was about the go anyway and it just happened a few days after you replaced your battery.

I recommend that you go to Autozone or similar auto part store that has an OBII reader and have them read the code. Post it here or search. That will tell you more about the problem and whether it is related to battery replacement.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #3

Do you have to pay at autozone to do this test?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:59 PM   #4

At the Autozone near me, they "rent" it out, you put full price on your credit card, they give you 90 days to bring it back. I kept one for 87 days took it back and they credited the money back, will do the same next time I get a cel.

later
dave
rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #5

How does it hook up to the car. Do you have to access the engine?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:06 PM   #6

Has a dedicaited plug on bottom left hand side of dashboard near the fuse panel,
just plug it in and turn key on. do not start. it talks to your car and shows the codes, write them down and look up on line or post and search here.

later
dave
rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:49 AM   #7

Yes

When you replace the battery and remove power, all sorts of computers lose their memory and the car has to be run for a while for them to learn enough to reset. It is possible that running the car with the base parameters triggered the CEL and that after you have run for a while and reset the CEL, you'll never see it again. OTOH, it is possible something completely unconnected with this sequence occurred.

Get the codes read by an OBDII reader. Post here or look them up on the net via a search function on any of the Boxster forums. You'll know more then.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #8

The last thing i am curious about is my convertible roof was stuck in the down position when I got a smog test done. the guy detachit and manually set the roof back up. I have been driving it for 5 months with the roof up but the light was always on saying that it was not completly closed. even though it was. The light just went out right before the check engine light came on. Would the burn out of the light that tells you the status of the roof set off the check engine light?
thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 AM   #9

Thanks for everyones help. My check Engine light is no longer on. I think it was because I put a new battery in. The computer needed to reset itself. I hope. I will keep you posted if it comes back on
thanks