Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #1

Exclamation Tiptronic problem ???

I just had a good tranny maintenance on my Boxster but still have a shifting problem. The automatic transmission fluid, filter and gasket were change and I still got this weird problem during normal driving condition (2500 rpm). Sometime during shifting from the 4 to the 5th gear only, the engine rev up without engaging the 5th gear and then it finally engage hard... really hard... I don't have this kind of problem when I drove at high rpm's or on any other gear change, only during smooth driving... Anybody had tiptronic problems like these... Where should I look for first...Torque converter, tranny, electronic control...? BTW I got an engine vibration always at 2000rpm at any speed on any gear... Need some advice.

frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederic
I just had a good tranny maintenance on my Boxster but still have a shifting problem. The automatic transmission fluid, filter and gasket were change and I still got this weird problem during normal driving condition (2500 rpm). Sometime during shifting from the 4 to the 5th gear only, the engine rev up without engaging the 5th gear and then it finally engage hard... really hard... I don't have this kind of problem when I drove at high rpm's or on any other gear change, only during smooth driving... Anybody had tiptronic problems like these... Where should I look for first...Torque converter, tranny, electronic control...? BTW I got an engine vibration always at 2000rpm at any speed on any gear... Need some advice.
You may want to change this

One of the First Tiptronic made in 1997... and still running great...

lol jk, sorry i cant help you out here
Old 09-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederic
Ok, so you have a 10-year old Tiptronic tranny that you said just had a "good tranny" maintenance, but still shifts poorly. I would assume this was done at a reputable Porsche or German car care center? I am confused at how the tranny shop missed your obvious transmission failure problem. I fear that due to my extensive racing experience with other makes and trannys, you may be in for a costly repair or replacement. I have yet to see alot of "cheap" fixes to major shifting/tranny issues. Then you said you have an engine vibration? I would have to say exhaust, motor mounts, drive train etc....have you had this checked out by a Porsche technician?

all the best...
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #4

Have you checked for any codes in the transmission? If not do so and post them here. Sometimes all that is needed is the adaption/kickdown switch values reset.

The odd time this could be caused from the battery being changed or it's voltage getting to low.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvicary
Have you checked for any codes in the transmission? If not do so and post them here. Sometimes all that is needed is the adaption/kickdown switch values reset.

The odd time this could be caused from the battery being changed or it's voltage getting to low.
Thanks for the reply.
I just had the battery disconnected for an alternator and starter maintenance. So the poor shifting maybe only the adaptation process (that's good news ), but for the vibration problem at 2000rpm, the torque converter might be the cause. And in response to the other post, it was check by a Porsche technician and I got no error code on my tip before disconnecting the battery.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee
Ok, so you have a 10-year old Tiptronic tranny that you said just had a "good tranny" maintenance, but still shifts poorly. I would assume this was done at a reputable Porsche or German car care center? I am confused at how the tranny shop missed your obvious transmission failure problem. I fear that due to my extensive racing experience with other makes and trannys, you may be in for a costly repair or replacement. I have yet to see alot of "cheap" fixes to major shifting/tranny issues. Then you said you have an engine vibration? I would have to say exhaust, motor mounts, drive train etc....have you had this checked out by a Porsche technician?

all the best...
Thanks for the reply.
Yes the maintenance was done by my regular Porsche technician in a first step to see if it can resolve my shifting issue. Like I said it's not a regular problem, and as usual when you bring the car to the technician the tranny work perfectly with no error code... I'm bringing the car back to him next Friday, and this time I will drive with him on the passenger side. I will post on this issue. .