Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 PM   #1

Smile Question on Porsche Alloys

Guys

First post for me. Another first for me is my 2004 boxster which I've had for a few weeks..I have been a BMW fan for the last 10 years and am delighted to make the switch.... :dance:

Have alloys on the car that are almost identical to the ones I found in this photo.

18" alloys

As you look at the picture, the surface of the alloys (uppermost face) is perfect and any brake dust cleans off very easil, using soap and water and a few skooshes of brake dust cleaner from a bottle.

The inside of the alloy the part where you can see the wheel weights stuck onto feels VERY different, almost as if its not finished ? It has a slightly rougher surface and trying to get the brake dust of this area is a nightmare. The bulk comes off but leaves loads of tiny little black dots engrained in the rougher surface..I've used a number of different acidic and non acidic brake dust cleaners but none really shift it unless I get a soft plastic scourer and scrub away..Even then it takes about 30 minutes a wheel

Any ideas why the surface is different ? Given the open nature of the wheels its hard to leave it black as it looks poor compared to the front shiny face....Thanks for any light you can shine on this.

Cheers

Ged

GedC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:41 AM   #2

The shiny side is buffed and painted, the inside of the wheels isn't.
Why? I guess you'd have to ask Porsche that. Probably the same reason that the inside of the trunk(s) underneath the carpet isn't finished as nicely as the outside of the car. Cost to some extent, and what's the point? You're not going to see it anyway.
I would agree that it's nice to look through the wheel spokes and see a clean wheel, but there's no sense going nuts over it.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:22 AM   #3

I disagree with Ronzi. Your wheels are not supposed to be this way.

My wheels used to be smooth on the inside. Then I had an accident and the rims needed to be straightened (fronts only). Now the inside surface is rough as you are describing (whereas my rear wheels are still smooth on the inside.) It matters because it IS noticeable -well, not to people who aren't perfectionists maybe, but it is annoying. True, it doesn't affect anything, but neither does a rip in the seat. It's just not correct.

I suppose your wheels have been refinished in some way. If any one else is experienced in the process of mending wheels, please post. I'd like to know as well.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #4

Jeph, I have the exact same wheels as you and they are not smooth. The barrel is lined with very small parallel grooves running the entire circumference. My OEM 17s are mostly smooth but the surface is unfinished as Ronzi noted. GedC, are you wheels original Porsche or aftermarket? Regardless, 30 minutes per wheel is at least 25 minutes too long.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #5

Just a suggestion. You could sand the inside of the wheels to smooth the surface and then refinish them with Wurth's silver wheel paint. It is a two step base and clear coat system and it is a perfect match for the Porsche silver.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #6

Ged,
Perhaps I misunderstood you. There is an obvious difference in the finish of the outside and the inside of the Porsche alloy wheels.
One side is shiny and finished ...

and one side is not ...

The lack of finish on the inside does make them more difficult to clean, no question. How much time you want to spend cleaning the inside is obviously up to you.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
boggtown

my moms wheels on her cayenne are fully painted....
Old 09-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #8

Thanks

Thanks guys

Ronzi..That's a perfect photo of what I was enquiring about. All the alloys on my previous cars have had a bit more metal about them, therefore you didn't really see into the inside of the wheel too much. Cleaning the face was enough.

So, I'm happ(ier)...Just need to get them as clean as then coat them with a polish to help in cleaning them in the future.

Thanks again for your help & comments

Ged

GedC is offline   Reply With Quote