Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 10:02 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
You might be jumping the gun there with the 3.6 idea, i know of only 1 person who has done that on the 986 and hes still working out the kinks, the 3.4 however is doable but the engine costs more and there still is some mickey mouse work involved that the indy-mech will have to dive into. I'd consult with the mechanic even before you purchase the engine.
Actually, I think the 3.6L swap would be the easiest and best swap for my car. The 3.4L from the 996 is designed to work with the Bosh motronic 7.2 ECM that was on pre-03 boxsters and pre-02 996's. The 3.6L in the 02-04 996's are designed to work with Bosh motronic 7.8 which is what my car has. I believe I can reuse my current ECM and the swap should be fairly clean as far as swaps go. Of course everything is dependent on what the dealership says so yeah, it's a nice idea, but I don't know if it's in the cards yet or not. If the engine does need to be replaced they might say they will only replace it with another 3.2L even if I offer to kick in some more money.

Last edited by Adam; 09-25-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:29 AM   #22

Sorry to hear about the problems Adam. Good luck with that.

There's a local shop here who advertises 3.6 engine "conversions" including swapping out the crank, new conrods & pistons, etc. Power output is bumped to a purpoted 360bhp.

I wonder if that saves all that much versus swapping in a 3.6 complete engine?

Although, I've read the newer crankcases have an additional crankshaft bearing to help deal with IMS and RMS issues(reducing crankshaft pertubations). So if true, I'd want to go with that.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
Sorry to hear about the problems Adam. Good luck with that.

There's a local shop here who advertises 3.6 engine "conversions" including swapping out the crank, new conrods & pistons, etc. Power output is bumped to a purpoted 360bhp.

I wonder if that saves all that much versus swapping in a 3.6 complete engine?

Although, I've read the newer crankcases have an additional crankshaft bearing to help deal with IMS and RMS issues(reducing crankshaft pertubations). So if true, I'd want to go with that.
I'm sure the best way to go is just swap in the entire engine. Besides parts, they would also have to machine the original heads and case to make way for the bigger pistons. Low mileage 3.6L engines can be had for 5-7k and I saw a brand new one for about 9k.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #24

The 3.6 into your car is a straight plug and play swap, the 3.8 is as well. Just as simple as the 3.4 into the earlier cars.

However, since you have an extended warranty i wouldn't think it makes any sense to do the swap if you need a new motor.

Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:17 AM   #25
bmussatti

Adam, what was the diagnosis?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Adam, what was the diagnosis?
Ok, I got word from the mechanic yesterday. They still don't know what is wrong. He and another tech drove the car and the CEL started to flash! So, they are driving the car around with flashing CEL and then the tapping and the CEL would disappear for a short time only to reappear again. They plugged in the diagnostic Porsche tool and it said cylinder 5 is misfiring. He said they are going to have another tech drive the car soon and see what he thinks. This doesn't sound like it going to be minor little problem. I'm just going to let them do their thing and sit back and wait.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:56 AM   #27
bmussatti

Adam, at first glace they don't appear too competant. Are you sure they are up to the task? Why are they driving the car with a blinking CEL? They have had the car over a week, and still don't have a clue.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #28

maybe its a good idea to tow it over to the stealership and pay for a diag.
Good peace of mind even if you have the indy do the actual repair.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:41 AM   #29
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
maybe its a good idea to tow it over to the stealership and pay for a diag.
Good peace of mind even if you have the indy do the actual repair.
PL, Adam has the car at Tom Wood Porsche in Indy. So, it is at the dealership now.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
PL, Adam has the car at Tom Wood Porsche in Indy. So, it is at the dealership now.
Yeah, that's right. I don't know what to think at this point to tell you the truth. The mechanic who is suppossed to work on my car was out sick one day last week and he said he had a couple of jobs up on the lift before mine thus the delay. I think they are going to have to drop the engine and open it up if they really want to know what is going on. I'm betting this is going to end up in the direction of total engine replacement so I'm just going bite my tongue and let them do what they do.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #31

Update:

I guess the problem fixed itself? Jeremy( the mechanic) said he drove it around the last couple days and the problem went away on its own. No more flashing CEL and no more tapping noise. He said to come pick it up whenever I'm ready. He said he thinks maybe one of the holes that are located in the discs leading to the lifter might have been temporarily plugged up with debris preventing the lifter from pumping up corrrectly. He said the flashing CEL might be caused by an O2 sensor sensing unburnt fuel. I'm a bit skeptical about this whole deal. I believe emissions malfunctions cause solid CEL's not flashing ones. I guess the proof will be in the pudding once the car is picked up. What do you guys think?
Old 10-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Update:

He said the flashing CEL might be caused by an O2 sensor sensing unburnt fuel. I'm a bit skeptical about this whole deal. I believe emissions malfunctions cause solid CEL's not flashing ones. I guess the proof will be in the pudding once the car is picked up. What do you guys think?
I had a bad MAF and it was causing unburnt fuel to reach the catalytic converter. This resulted in a flashing CEL.

I'm not sure about the remainder of the story. I would think that it is pretty rare for a car to heal itself.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:33 AM   #33
boggtown

Pretty rare for any other car.....EXCEPT A PORSCHE!!!!! Muahahahahahahaha. The uber car. The car that plays god and that runs off of the soul of orphans. *lightning cracks in the background*
Old 10-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #34

Have you considered running some Techron thru it?

Good luck with your situation. Let us know what happens.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #35
bmussatti

Adam, that's very strange!
Old 10-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I'd take it to another shop and have them diagnosis it,better to be safe then sorry.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:13 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
Have you considered running some Techron thru it?

Good luck with your situation. Let us know what happens.

Actually, strange you mentioned that. I added a bottle of techron to approx 12 gallons of gas in my tank about a week before all this started. Maybe just a coincidence, but the engine seemed down on power and then this all happened afterwards. That was the first time I had ever used a fuel additive in the Porsche.

Last edited by Adam; 10-07-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #38
Track rat

Garage
What were the CEL error codes??
Old 10-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #39

He didn't say. He just said that cylinder 5 was misfiring. I'll see if I can find out.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #40

I think mine took a dive today too. Just left the gas station 1/2 mile from the house. I pull out and start to accelerate and I hear a clack-clack noise from the rear passenger side and the check engine light comes on and it dies on me. No power steering, all lights on and I pull over. I restart it and barely get it home. No signs of leaking oil. It's a 1998, and I only have 22,000 miles on it and it gets driven 2x a week. Man, I'm pissed. No signs of any problems prior to this and just had the 15,000 done 8 months ago.

smiledrs is offline   Reply With Quote