Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2004, 09:38 PM   #1
b0xt0La

Painting brake calipers red

I was at Advanced the other day and saw a "kit" for painting the calipers red. All of the 03's and 04's Boxsters I saw at the local dealer come with red calipers now. I'm not sure I want to spend almost $1k for used red calipers on ebay. What do you guys think of that kit, anyone tried it?

Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:23 PM   #2
Lux

Only the Boxster S comes with red calipers. The Base and 550 don't have the red calipers.

If you want to paint your calipers, it's relatively easy from what I've seen. Make sure you use a high temperature paint. VHT and Folia-Tec are the big names in caliper paint. I think even Krylon (BBQ grill paints) can be used. I don't know about that "kit" you're talking about. I guess as long as the paint is a high temp paint you should be ok.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:31 PM   #3
b0xt0La

A guy I saw the other day (with a 2003 Boxster and a 2.7L engine) had red calipers. My calipers are worn out maybe cleaning them is not a bad idea.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:08 AM   #4

I have used regular Krylon paint, cleaned [TSP] and taped really well.

I have had this for about 4-5 months, no Auto X, only hard driving.

Still looks as good as new.

It's harder to clean though, I have also a brand from Walmart "Plasti Kote" which I hand painted on one, to see if I could avoid the overspray.

I was prepared for failure thinking I would bead blast it off if it all went bad.

Nope all is well, only harder to clean. I also made my own labels.

I will probably go back re-paint by hand.

BTW- I did not like the VHT it was to orange.

My two cents
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:25 AM   #5
porsche986

yep any standard caliper paint works, halfords sells lots of it, It is a silver tin for around £9.99

If anyone is thinking about painting there calipers, take your time and the result is high quality. Follow the instructions on the tin, CLEAN your calipers with a wire brush... paint a light coat and wait 20 mins dont worry if it looks very dull red..... during this time try cleaning the inside of your alloy wheels when they off. use wonder wheels it stinks lik eggs but its great.. once 20 mins has passed give it a second coat and wait until its touch dry. Re-fit the wheel and repeat this for all wheels. wait 24 hours it says give them a last coat but to be honest they are great after just 2 coats.. do a third if you feel you have to... try not to cover the caliper is one setting, its pre pls paint which means it stretches when it dries giving a bright plastic effect finish. dont worry about brush strokes they go away when they dry.. They "stay" bright red also and dont fade..
after they are dry attach porsche caliper stickers available on ebay and it looks stunning. Because you have cleaned your wheels inside the red caliper will now reflect all over the wheel inside and it looks just perfect!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:47 PM   #6
b0xt0La

These look nice. They look like the originals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7922321310&category=33563
Old 09-16-2004, 03:22 AM   #7
Forum Contributor

Ok I know I'm going to sound stupid here, but is painting the caliper easy? Does anyone know of any good pictures on the net somewhere on how this is done? I've always wondered...
sTTevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 03:42 AM   #8
porsche986

painting calipers is very easy, just dont worry about covering whole caliper in one go, it takes 2 or 3 coats, the finished result is amazing it will look red shinny plastic and then get some porsche boxster caliper stickers from ebay and what a difference..

here is a pic of mine which i painted years ago look at the brake discs to prove its not a box s... i found it very easy

my wheels are very dirty as i just got back from a long 300 mile drive plus ... i just noticed my valve cap has been stolen F***** again

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Last edited by porsche986; 09-16-2004 at 04:17 AM.