Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
Track rat

Garage
Portable GPS. Any favorites?

I am thinking about getting a portable GPS for both street mapping function and performance data logger. I understand that the latest versions are quite good and prices are falling. What do you have that you like?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #2

I have a Tom Tom One... love it. Starts fast, holds lock even with heavy foliage above and even under bridge decks, very intuitive UI, good maps with only a few very minor errors encountered so far (on new roads built in last 18 months). The window mount is excellent... never loses grip.

I've heard good things about the Garmin units, too. I think you can choose your favorite between Tom Tom and Garmin and it will serve you well.

For me the extra bells/whistles of the more expensive units (suce has bluetooth hands-free, spoken street names, multi-media capabilities) weren't worth it, but your needs may be different... definitely consider features you might want/use/need before buying.

BTW, a recent Consumer Reports rated portable GPS units. That may be another good source of (mostly) unbiased opinion.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #3

I have the Navman 520 and it is not very good. I assume they are better now as my unit is 2 years old, but it really struggles to maintain GPS lock.

My friend has the TomTom and it is much better.

Why not take a look at the Becker head units, you can then have a factory look with Sat Nav and bluetooth for your phone too.
noone986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #4

This might help :

Tips on Buying a Portable Navigation Device

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:38 AM   #5

I have a Garmin and a TomTom -- it's the TomTom that I decided to install permanently in my Box, and that's the one I also like the most -- it's Linux based (i.e., easy to program & hack yourself). Here's how I've mounted it, hocked up to the ignition and an external antenna:

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #6

You should probably go check out some GPS discussion sites. There are TONS of nav units out there now. You might start with your price range, and see what is available. Find screenshots and features.

You might want to look for things like:
Touchscreen
Size of screen
SD cardslot for updating maps from your PC
Voice navigation, including reading street names
POI (point of interest) database size
Ability to set waypoints
Statistics tracking

I went with a Bluetooth GPS puck and a PDA, since I could do other things on it... but now I'm wishing I went with a dedicated unit, because it turns out I don't really use the PDA much. Plus some of the dedicated units now have much larger screens, better features and are priced very well!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I really like the Mio C220. There $160 at PepBoys and one of the best GPS available. CNet rates this unit low because they claim that the screen is not bright enough in direct sunlight. But I can confirm that it does just fine in top down driving situations.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Smile

Thank you all for your input. I followed your suggested links and found a wealth of up to the minute info. on GPS units. I picked out a Garmin nuvi 350 at $329 online. I think it will fit my needs well without a bunch of stuff I don't need. It should be here in a few days. Thanks again!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #9

I have the same unit and love it. I think you will too. One thing I found really useful was that you can download maps (some free) and load them as points of interest. I just drove a lot of old Route 66 and downloaded the POI map for free. It was a really cool unexpected addition to the unit. Right now I am thinking of buying the map set that shows all the speed and light cameras. THAT should come in really handy. Forget using the bluetooth with your phone though. The speaker is crap and no one can hear you clearly. Everything else is A #1. I had the best Mexican food I have ever had in Tucumcari, NM thanks to my Garmin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Thank you all for your input. I followed your suggested links and found a wealth of up to the minute info. on GPS units. I picked out a Garmin nuvi 350 at $329 online. I think it will fit my needs well without a bunch of stuff I don't need. It should be here in a few days. Thanks again!

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #10

TomTom, FTW!

Hacks: De-Snorkeled, Clutch Swich, Debadged, Red Seatbelts, Painted Bumperettes,
986S Badge, EVO Intake, SuperSprint Exhaust, Fabspeed Cat Bypass
My Car: http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd74/zackwatt/
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
bmussatti

I bought a Garmin Navi 680 in July and love it. A great web site to price shop is www.pricescan.com.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:16 AM   #12

I have a Magellan 4050 and I like it, but if you decide to get a Magellan, I'd suggest the 4040. The two differences are voice recognition (which pretty much doesn't work when you're moving, which is the only time you need it), and the traffic monitoring capability - which requires a montly subscription and doesn't cover many areas yet.

I believe one of the reviews I read indicated the Garmin was best at finding the best routes between two points, with the Magellan a close second. I don't know about the Garmin and other GPS nav systems, but the Magellan does have an impressive (and mostly accurate) list of thousands of Points of Interest. Want to tour wineries in your Boxster? They're in there. Want to find the nearest chinese restaurant? They're in there. Pretty handy.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #13

question about the 680 experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I bought a Garmin Navi 680 in July and love it. A great web site to price shop is www.pricescan.com.
Do you use the bluetooth for your phone calls while driving? How does it work when you are listening to the radio or cd or Ipod via fm transmitter?
dawgwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:55 AM   #14

I have the Garmin 2720. It has all the bells and whistles all the other GPSs have. One nice feature that I couldn't find in other GPSs is that it can be mounted on the windshield OR on a beanbag mount on the dash (this is what I use). Very convenient and can be brought out only when needed and moved from car to car. Check e-bay for best prices.

Just a safety tip, I see too many people mount the GPS on their lower console. This may look cool, but it makes you take your eyes off the road while driving. Keep the GPS on the dash (bean mount) or on your windshield at eye level.

To some, this may not be a concern (because the GPS does talk to you), but as normal human behavior , we do look at the person who is talking to us and reverify on visual diplay if that person is correct.......and this takes your eyes off the road.

By the way, the GPS is one of the best things I bought.........I don't get lost anymore.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 AM   #15

I want one that will allow me to customize the verbal commands and/or download different voices for them. I always loved the original Star Trek series computer.

Working....

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.

Last edited by OldBlevins; 11-27-2007 at 06:07 AM.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Geist
I have the same unit and love it. I think you will too. One thing I found really useful was that you can download maps (some free) and load them as points of interest. I just drove a lot of old Route 66 and downloaded the POI map for free. It was a really cool unexpected addition to the unit. Right now I am thinking of buying the map set that shows all the speed and light cameras. THAT should come in really handy. Forget using the bluetooth with your phone though. The speaker is crap and no one can hear you clearly. Everything else is A #1. I had the best Mexican food I have ever had in Tucumcari, NM thanks to my Garmin!
I've got the Nuvi 350 too and love it. Being new to the US it has saved me many times, especially in LA!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them
Lest we forget"
ozspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #17

I recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 to replace my old 2620. The Nuvi is much better than the old StreetPilot 2620. Prices are dropping fast, so check around.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #18
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I have been using a 2620 ever since it first was offered. I have done 3 week driving vacations without taking a single map along!

What makes the NUVI better?

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote