Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #1

Another thread on water and the Boxster...

I rarely drive my Box in rain, but today it was out in the rain (and a heavy rain at that) all day, including an hour drive on the highway. When I got back into the garage I thought out of curiosity I would check for dampness around the car, esp my door panels since I have custom audio in the car (VERY expensive 6 1/2s in the doors in MDF, lost the Bose enclosures). Here is what I found:

On both doors, the carpet is wet at the bottom of the door at the front, just underneath the speakers. I cannot tell if this water simply wicked up the carpet from the sill being wet from heavy rain or if it represents some kind of door drainage issue.

Now, far more perplexing, on the driver side, there was a very very light bit of dampness surrounding the lower seatbelt mount, that seemed to center around the mount. I'm really at a loss on this part. I remember the post about sealing the front fender around for moisture, but I don't think this could be related to that since the front footwell section is bone dry. It really almost seems like some water seeped in around the seatbelt mounting bolt, but I'm not sure thats possible?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #2

Sounds like you need to clear out the drain channels that take water away from soft top. Do a search here or ppbb.com and you should find instructions.
choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #3

when the speakers were replaced did they install plastic rain barrier correctly?
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #4

When I last had the top in service position I cleaned the entire area, and the drains are all clear enough to drain water from a garden hose so I certainly do not suspect any issues there. As to the speaker install, I am pretty sure the rain barrier is present. Does this sound like the kind of water that would result from having a missing or damaged rain barrier?

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote