Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #1

Question Is Boxster everyday Car

I just recently bought a sweet 1998 Boxster that is in exceptionally good condition. I bought it more or less as a second car. However I would like some opinions on whether you think Boxsters can be used as an everyday car. My 1993 Ford Ranger wont last forever and I think I will have to start driving my Boxster more and more. I'm interested to know if any of you use your Boxster as your primary car and if so how is it working out for you.

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Just get a 2nd set of wheel with winter tires(if you drive in snow) and your good to go.

I've driven my Boxster in POURING rain and wind without and issue. The back end with 10" wide wheels get a little loose from time to time but no biggie.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #3

I have a '97 and drive it all year round. I do put Winter tires on in November and as long as the snow does'nt bottom out the car it is real servicable in slick and snowy conditions. No issues with this vehicle as a "daily driver" as that's what I bought a '97 to do. Love the car! A Blast!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #4

Daily driver every day for the past 5 years. It won't haul sheet rock or tow a trailer as well as a pickup, but has plenty of trunk space for every day crap. Congrats on your purchace and... Drive it!
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #5

Use mine as a DD. As has been said, have a separate set of wheels with snow tires (put 'em on from Oct-March).
Old 09-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #6

I use mine as a daily driver, year round. Although I got it Jan. 1st of this year. So, I've yet to drive in the snow. When I got the car I still had my BMW and drove it on the snow days until I sold it.

I need to get some snow tires.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #7

I'm envious, as I have 3 boys, and not able to use the boxster as my daily driver, but if I could, I would. Having had S2000's, Miata's, and a Lotus Elise, the Boxster is the best all around vehicle, combining performance, functionality, and comfort of the bunch. My daily driver is a 4-door BMW 335i with a 6-spd shift, but if I could, I would drive the Boxster 24/7.
vincesf
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #8

gmboxster

What part of Virginia do you live in?

In Central Virginia I'm driving my Boxster almost every day. I kept my 96 Infiniti G20 for use in snow and when I need to take more than one passenger with me. It saves me the trouble of putting snow tires on the car on the few days we have snow and ice. While the Boxster has more trunk capacity than my Miata, it really isn't great for trips to the grocery store or home center.

Unless your spouse has a big vehicle and a cooperative attitude, you might just want to keep your truck for bad weather and hauling large objects. Also, I find it's nice to have a spare car when the Boxster needs to go to the shop. I use an independent shop, and they don't have loaner cars.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #9

I use my box as a semi daily driver. I usually take it to work 2-3 times per week and 1-2 times on the weekend for a fun spin or some errands. I use my beater car (civic) the other times during the week and for trips to shopping markets, wal mart, scratchville, etc

I would have no issues with using the box everyday but I do not like the idea of crowded public parking lots at walmarts or parking the car in bad areas of town.
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #10

yup the boxster can def. be used as an everyday car- i have another car i drive on ocassion as well but i could def. live with just driving the boxster all yr round.
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I use my car as a DD, great all around performance. But I have access to other cars if the need arises.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #12

gmboxster

KevinH1990, I live near Lynchburg. I dont plan to drive this car in the snow. I'll wait until the snow is gone in the winter, but we dont get much in this area. I'm worried about using this car as an everyday car cause if it needs repair (and all cars do) it will be more expensive than your regular car. But I need to drive it and enjoy it, after all that's why I bought it !!
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:54 AM   #13

I think it is a great daily driver! Some may have a little:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car_knee_syndrome . But for most this is not a concern. Worst thing is to buy a car and relegate it to occasional use. That means it will be sold soon.
mauleskyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:17 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Bambino Don
Its a fabulous daily driver, i guess over here its just fuelling the thing that is the problem for our high octane (98RON) its £1.08 per litre your equivellant would be $1.57, so cost me £70.00 a week to fuel your equivellant $101.80

How do you like dem Apples!!!! not very much ive got to say!

J
00 Audi TT 180 coupe
02 DC5 Honda Integra typeR
01 Alfa Romeo spider 3.0 V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
02 Porsche Boxster S silver/red Rolling on 19's
Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../mycayman1.jpg

07 Cayman Guards Red/black on 19's
Bambino Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #15

I have a 2007 Boxster... use it as my daily driver. Got it in April and I have almost 9000 miles on it. Love this car so much.. By far, the best car I have ever owned. I consider myself a very fortunate person to be able to drive y it on a daily basis.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #16

I bought my 99 boxster in spring of this year, and it's my daily driving car, but here in Quebec with snow, calcium and rocks, I will let it beside for the winter, but for Spring/Summer/Fall, it's my main car and I got nothing to complain
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #17

In the Northeast I would say it isn't a daily driver given the ice and snow we get along with the resultant frost heaves and potholes. For that reason a good all wheel drive vehicle is the best. Regardless, I know an attorney who drives his Boxster year round putting snows on in the winter. He drives everyday except the day of a large snow. I don't have snows just Pirelli P Zero's so I put mine up. Plus it would hurt me( LOL ) to drive it in all that salty slush following a snow.

Reading some of the posts from all of you in the warmer climes makes me jealous..

It's the same with my harley.... My friends in the warmer climes ride year round while we put our bikes away for hibernation. : (
Old 09-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Another daily driver here. I've driven it for almost 3 years in every season, torrential downpours, snow and ice, wind, etc., etc., with no problems at all. What's that saying? Something like: "If you're too concerned about breaking it, it means you can't afford it"

The only time I've ever second-guessed its performance as a year-round vehicle was on a highly crowned, narrow, ice-covered 1-lane road w/ parallel parking on either side of it. Took me about 10 minutes to go 1/4 of a mile, but I made it with no mishaps. Now, I just drive the wife's FWD Honda in those types of conditions.

YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote