Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #1

Tinted Wind Stop

I recall seeing a thread on a forum, unsure if it was her and I am unable to relocate it, where an owner replaced the perspex in his wind stop with a tinted version.

Has anyone done this or otherwise tinted their windstop? I'm unsure if you can tind perspex and have looked at how to get the exiisting perspex out of it's frame but it's secured pretty well.

Any idea's?

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #2

I tried tinting the windstop with normal window tint, it worked for about 5 days.

About 2 years ago I came across paint that is designed for Lexan. Its uses to tint the windows of model cars. I paid about $20 for the aresol can of paint and shipping.

I prepped the window by cleaning it and then sprayed as even as a coat as possible. I let it dry a few hours then did another coat. It took about 4 very thin coats to get the wind stop as dark as I wanted. It appears to be normal tint.

Hope this helps.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:43 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
I tried tinting the windstop with normal window tint, it worked for about 5 days.

About 2 years ago I came across paint that is designed for Lexan. Its uses to tint the windows of model cars. I paid about $20 for the aresol can of paint and shipping.

I prepped the window by cleaning it and then sprayed as even as a coat as possible. I let it dry a few hours then did another coat. It took about 4 very thin coats to get the wind stop as dark as I wanted. It appears to be normal tint.

Hope this helps.
they have those spray cans that you are talking about at hobby places for 5 bux.
wanna post some pics?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:12 AM   #4

I tinted mine with store bought 35% tint. But after driving around, especialy at night, I found it very hard to see out of the back. So I removed it the next day. I think I will wait until I buy a hard top, and then have that rear window tinted. I've used that spray on tint before on another car. I used it on a sun-roof, but it just looked like it was textured/frosted black after it dried. I wasn't to crazy about the way it looked when was done.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #5

Thanks

Yhanks guys I'll try a hobby shop for some perspex tint

2000 2.7 Boxster
Old 05-11-2008, 01:22 AM   #6

Tried it.....looked like crap

Tried the perspex tint & it looked like crap. So will se if I can find some tinted purspex

2000 2.7 Boxster
Old 05-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #7

Why don't you contact the custom windstop advertiser here on the board? I'm sure he'd apprediate the business.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:07 AM   #8

I have a new 987 S and wanted a tinted windstop - the place that started advertising custom ones here not long ago has failed to get back to me - if anyone knows of a place please post.
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
eqs

Hi Bob, I've been thinking about this too. I believe it would be very easy to tint as the windstop can be removed and you could bring it somewhere. In my other cars I've had this type of tint in for years and it look pro, no bubbles and the tint hasn't discoloured - it looks factory - even over the defroster lines - but it is scratchable with a key or sharp object, so there is some care involved.

I had to go to a special tinter that uses high quality tint - not the stuff you buy in the stores. It would probably cost about a hundred or so, but it would look factory. Contact your dealer or other dealers in your area to find out who does the best work and has the best product, check their work, then do it.

My only concern is that it is darker at night. Since I don't drive at night a lot, it probably wouldn't matter much though. In the day, it would probably look pretty hot ..... but then you'd want to get your windows done then too ....... which is illegal here. I've got it on the rear and don't really notice much of a problem, it actually cuts down on headlight glare ...... but it is definitely darker.

You can get various visibility and UV tints (ie. 5, 10, 20, 40% block, etc.) and some use lighter for the sides and darker everywhere else. May get this done, but it's not that important to me yet.

Hope this helps you and others, cheers
eqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:30 AM   #10

I tried the spray on tint before for my front turn signals. I wasn't pleased with the results either. For my windstop I've got a tinted one from the board sponsor - Windrestrictor. It looks perfect. Yes it is more difficult to see out of at night but honestly my rear window isn't that clear any way, so I used the side mirrors most of the time even before installing the tinted windstop.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #11

Windrestrictor is the place that I had dialog with but they broke it off - they were supposed to get back to me (and others) as to whether they had a plain (no unicorns, beer ads, etc.) tinted one for 987s.

I had my side windows tinted using Lumar film and the tinter said he could not do plastic - won't hold up. He said the only way to do it is by starting with tinted Lexan. That is why I thought Windrestrictor would come through for the 987 owners...maybe they are working on it (?).
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #12
eqs

Thanks Bob, didn't realize that, I'll have to check that out if I decide to go for that. I haven't looked that close at all, but what about cutting and shaping a coloured Lexan to fit. We do that all the time on boats.

Cheers and good luck
eqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #13

So sorry Gentlemen for not getting back with you...

On the 986 we currently have the windrestrictor with standard options if you dont want a beer ad or a unicorn, that are really classy and you cant beat the price, we are currently working on the BMW and then have plans for the corvette so much to do so little time but thank you for the positive input!
We do and have and will continue to appreciate the 986'ers business!
Best Regards,
windrestrictor.com

Last edited by Windrestrictor; 10-28-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Windrestrictor is offline   Reply With Quote