Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #1

has anyone sold their car on ebay?

i've been trying to sell my boxster locally but i guess no one out here in california is buying as there seems to be a huge surplus of boxsters for sale here. i don't know if i'm pricing my car too high but i believe its rather a fair price... little on my car... is a 97 with 43k miles and sports package...new tires and brakes all around.... new radio with mp3 and ipod hookup.... 2 new amps and speakers with a custom rear speaker deck... asking $15k for it... do you guys thing its too high or just fine...also if anyone's sold a car on ebay how much did they take out of the total price...any positives or negatives on doing it the ebay way would help...thanks.

waynes986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

I've had the most luck with craigslist.com
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
boxsterz

That seems to be priced within the range. Probably better to price it 14,xxx.
Ebay is where I bought my box, there was a shortage of good boxes in the Seattle area when I was looking last winter. Shopped for a looong time, but finally got exactly what I was looking for.

BTW, why are you selling?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
+1 for Craig's list. Take AMAZING photos of your car and post along with a clear and detailed description. PP bluebook is probably $14k for your car. If it looks great, runs great and is priced right it will sell. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I've sold cars on ebay, But only exotic or high powered stuff like 300zx TT's, 1967 Mustang Eleanors and old convertible Malibu's... Nothing average, tried average and not so special cars and the responce isnt good, since there are a ton of boxsters on ebay, i wouldnt waste your money on ebay, use craigslist

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #6

A while back, I sold one of my SAAB's on eBay -- and I think they charged me 15%. Hence, also I prefer Craigslist.

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #7

I never sold a car by the auction having a winner BUT I sold a 90 964, 88 951 and 86 951 from the exposure the car got on ebay.
Fee's were under 100 bucks ir so.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #8

While not a perfect summary, currently, a nationwide search (by me) has shown:

114 Boxsters on Ebay (all years)
1307 Boxsters on Cars.com (all years)
2294 Boxsters on Autotrader.com (all years)

Yes, there may very well be some overlap.. and yes, the results may be skewed towards particular years, but...

As you can see.. there are A LOT of boxsters on the market at this time.. and unless one is 1) very patient with a realistic price or 2) willing to "dump" for less than a blue book value, it may not sell quickly.

Craigslist, or your local major paper's classifieds (which may link to something like a cars.com) may be your best bet. Given Boxsters are available all over the country, you might have better luck targeting your "local" market.

Ebay could help you establish a realistic price/value for your car.. but you might save the $100 or so, and simply monitor e-bay yourslf to see what cars like yours are bringing.

Sad part is, it is a 10 year old car that is no longer "special" or "desired" like it was just a few years ago.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #9

Sold 2 cars on eBay. I didn't get nearly as much as I hoped either time. On the other hand I have bought 3 cars on eBay now the latest being my AMG. It's a buyers market now unless you have something truly special or manage to connect with the buyer.

I have heard that cars just languish on Autotrader.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:38 AM   #10

Short of posting a car for sale on eBay, it seems that Boxsters are not selling at all these days. Anyone have an estimate of how long a car has to be on the market before it sells? I think its pretty long right now...6 months plus.
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:39 AM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would go with craigslist, it has become very popular and a lot of people don't want the extra eBay hassle included in car buying (shipping, fees, no test drive, etc.) unless the car is rare. Just post on multiple craigslist cities within 100 miles of your location. It will get you more exposure and most people are willing to drive a few hours if there interested. If worst comes to worst you could try carmax.
Hope this helps!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:42 AM   #12
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo23dog
Short of posting a car for sale on eBay, it seems that Boxsters are not selling at all these days. Anyone have an estimate of how long a car has to be on the market before it sells? I think its pretty long right now...6 months plus.
That depends on many factors, the biggest being asking price.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #13

Sold my Miata(sorta) on Ebay to seller in Florida. Guy flew up one Saturday morning, paid me cash and drove it right back to Florida. Called me twice to tell me how great it was. I did allot of work to it. Should never have sold it but I got twice the private seller bluebook value...buh bye. The new owner even drove me to pick up the Boxster from the dealer I purchased it from, they were nice enough to keep in the showroom for a few weeks.

I sold several commuter beaters. MOstly Hondas and Toyotas for friends who hadn't figure out how to use Ebay yet. This was 7 or 8 years ago. In every case I got them no less than twice or more of what they were offered localy. But in many instances the deal making occured after the auction. You can't beat the exposure of Ebay no matter how you slice it, even though it means you have to deal with allot of bad buyers. But nothing is easy when it comes to sales.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:22 AM   #14

I didn't have any luck with ebay... I had my box up there two weeks in a row and the highest it got up to was 9200. I had a reserve set of 11,500, so now I'm stuck with both listing fees (approx $110, total).

So far, the best response I've had was from cars.com, no love from craigslist (but it's a rather rural area around here). People on 986forum and renntech already have boxsters or are looking for a newer one, it seems like.

So, I'm about to put it in the local paper, and hope that cars.com comes through for me.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #15

Thoughts

Craigslist.

Market it carefully with a complete description (Colors, options, mods, services, condition descriptions, reason for selling) , make sure it is detailed to an almost professional level, understand why your car is the one they should have and market those distinctions. And price.

Make the car be made attractive by the obvious care the seller took in preparing it for sale and the information provided.

Understand fall is here and it isn't like selling a convertible in the spring.

Understand the Boxster is not collectible and is a 10 year old car worth only what someone will give you for it, it has no extra value because you loved it.

More Thoughts

good luck.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
ive sold 8 cars trough autotrader.
put one on ebay, and didn't get close to what i wanted, reserve nowhere close to met.
i did get my car trough ebay, contacted the seller before aucion ended, made him offer, checked it out, bargained some more, and dropped the price even more, and i did get 3 trough craigslist.

best bet is autotrader.com cars.com craigslist.org and put it all over the Porsche forums, like here, 6speedonline, renntech, rennlist, make a cardomain page and state that its for sale.

also, go to carmax, they will completely examine your car and make you an offer, and if you don't like it at least you will have a printout of all the stuff that was looked at that can be a good asset when potential buyers ask whats wrong with it.

i had 9 cars so far, and i only broke even with one, all the other ones i made money on, and i now that with this one ill make money as well, couse i got it for way too cheap haha, its definitely a buyers market man, although i am enjoying this car too much to even think about selling it

good luck with the sale tho

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote