Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #1

How much do you love your car?

Behind me was a white 987 driven by a blonde chick. Cool, I thought, the first female driver I've seen in 6 months. But there is a guy beside her - is it his? Now we're stopped at a light and in the side mirror -- my god, she's jaw-drop gorgeous, maybe 18. Beauty you only see twice a year in person. When I can rip my eyes away I look at the guy again, jealous, sizing up the competition (on the one hand mine is an S so I can kick his ass, but I'm 62 and married so ... well, never mind). He is too young to be her father.

I wouldn't be telling this story except for what I saw next: a big letter "L" on the back window. She was a LEARNER in a 987 Porsche!

So here is my question: Could you love any woman enough (or hope to ...) to let her learn in your new Boxster?

Rapid motion through space elates one; so does notoriety; so does the possession of money.
pierre shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre shags
So here is my question: Could you love any woman enough (or hope to ...) to let her learn in your new Boxster?
Short answer - no
PS : And I only have a 'new to me' boxster!
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:54 AM   #3

Yes i would, i "love" my car but I LOVE my girlfriend more. (and no, she's not standing over me )
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:36 AM   #4

Wink

learn what exactly?
raddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:46 AM   #5

Question Porsche ... girlfriend ... Porsche ... girlfriend ...

Hmmmm ... errrr ... welllll ... ummmm ... ooooh, my head hurts real bad!
Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #6

Nope, Nada, No Way...... in fact I traded the girl for the Boxster. So far even with the repairs the Boxster has been way cheaper!!
Old 09-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #7

Re: "the learner"

TTIWWOP?

I've never heard of this L/Learner thing... must be a Pacific Northwest thing...
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i actually WANTED to teach my GF more on the porsche, but she refuses.
she drives OK, but shes not all that confident.
so in short yes, i would let her drive it, and i insisted, but she wouldn't drive it haha
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #9

Why not!..Isn't that what leases are for?
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #10

A very close second goes to the car... unless you guys have found some pleasure hole to use in the exhaust or something! Haha..
Anyway, I have tried to teach my wife the hole manual thing, but she is more afraid of breaking the car than learning. It is tough sometimes when we are out and I really dont feel like driving home. She claims it is more enjoyable as a passenger anyway. OK
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #11

That's nothing to worry about. I have twin boys turning 16 in 2 weeks. Guess what they want to learn to drive? Now THAT is something to worry about! The reality is that I want to share the experience with them (with me in the car, of course) as my dad did with me in his new Cadillac way back in 1975. The only issue I have is them learning to shift gears. That is better done on a cheap used beater car, which i do not own...yet. My wife has no interest in shifting gears in any car so no worries there.
2007 Boxster S 6 spd manual,GuardsRed/BlackTop/Sand Full Leather,Sport Design Pkg.,19" Carrera Rims w/color crest,Sport Chrono,Adaptive Sport Seats, WindStop, Smooth Leather Steering Wheel/Center, Aluminum Painted Roll Bar, Porsche Crest in Headrest,Factory Sand Mats
Middle Age Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
boggtown

I was all like, well its only a boxster, then I looked and saw you have a brand new S... changes everything. I learned on my friends cars, they can do the same. Until they are perfect shifters dont let them drive. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Age Crazy
That's nothing to worry about. I have twin boys turning 16 in 2 weeks. Guess what they want to learn to drive? Now THAT is something to worry about! The reality is that I want to share the experience with them (with me in the car, of course) as my dad did with me in his new Cadillac way back in 1975. The only issue I have is them learning to shift gears. That is better done on a cheap used beater car, which i do not own...yet. My wife has no interest in shifting gears in any car so no worries there.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #13

well my gf knows how to drive stick (she refuses to drive automatics) but i taught my sister on the box, a few yrs ago i dont think its a big deal at all.. and now she owns her own manual car :-)
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:12 PM   #14

I would and have let friends, girl friends, and girls I wanted to be my girl friend drive my car. But over the last few years I am less likely to let someone else drive it. My wife can drive it anytime she wants but in 2 years has not ever driven it and she does not want to.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
I would and have let friends, girl friends, and girls I wanted to be my girl friend drive my car. But over the last few years I am less likely to let someone else drive it. My wife can drive it anytime she wants but in 2 years has not ever driven it and she does not want to.

I am the same, I let everyone that I trust drive my car if they want. It is a thrill most people really appreciate....."I actually drove a Porsche!"....
Old 09-06-2007, 06:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
its weird how they dont even have any interest to drive the car man, its pretty funny.
my GF said that she would drive it once in a while if it was automatic, but w it being manual she said she doesnt care about it.
my GF misses my camaro, thats about it, she said this thing is too slow and it attracts too much attention hahaha.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #17

I taught my 16 year old daughter in the Boxster. We both had a blast!

BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - CA
I taught my 16 year old daughter in the Boxster. We both had a blast!

did you setup those cones?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #19

"I wouldn't be telling this story except for what I saw next: a big letter "L" on the back window. She was a LEARNER in a 987 Porsche!

So here is my question: Could you love any woman enough (or hope to ...) to let her learn in your new Boxster?"

I think the more intriguing, less sexIST, question is:

If the Learner was driving a 987, what are the "other" cars that she isn't allowed to drive? Seriously, it's only a what, $50k-ish car, right? Let's not pretend that it is the benchmark.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos
"I wouldn't be telling this story except for what I saw next: a big letter "L" on the back window. She was a LEARNER in a 987 Porsche!

So here is my question: Could you love any woman enough (or hope to ...) to let her learn in your new Boxster?"

I think the more intriguing, less sexIST, question is:

If the Learner was driving a 987, what are the "other" cars that she isn't allowed to drive? Seriously, it's only a what, $50k-ish car, right? Let's not pretend that it is the benchmark.
i agree, and im sure car has warranty, who gives a (beep) its only a car.
i love it when a car gets used, not just sit in garage and get cleaned.
well, obviously some cars cant be driven year round, but i hope u get my point.