Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 05:40 AM   #1

Looking for black hardtop

Hey guys,

Now that I moved to a new place near my university I dont have a garage. Fall and winter will start showing up in a month so I am looking for a standard black top for a 2004 986S.

Anyone is selling or know anyone?

I am located in ChapelHill, NC but I can pick it up from Charlotte NC.

Thanks in advance!

aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
if nothing turns up make sure that you treat your top with protectant, so water just runs off.
you should do that anyways.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:23 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Check all the Boxster forums, and craigslist and you might be able to get a deal.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #4

I would search any "for sale" forum. Also consider calling folks who are selling their hardtop with their car.. they might separate the two.

Also, don't limit yourself to black.. beggars can't always be choosers and well, a 2004 has a glass rear window.. that is the main reason to get a hardtop anyway. I know Charlotte/Chapel hill gets lots of ICE, but I think if you treat it, your softop should be fine.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)

Last edited by racer_d; 08-30-2007 at 10:02 AM.
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #5

Do you really need one?

Where you going to store it in the nice weather? How you going to get it on and off?

I can understand it if you were several hundred miles north but do you really get enough ice and snow to need a hardtop? If you do, better to spend on snow or all-weather tires and make plans to store any summer tires before worrying about the hardtop.

This is the next to worst time to be trying to buy a hardtop. Worst is when the snow is on the ground. Next worse is when people start anticipating winter. Best is the spring and early summer. The old rule is you get bargains when you buy when everyone else wants to sell (see real estate 2007).

If I were looking (and willing to spend the $1000-1400 it usually takes) I'd be looking on ebay for older Boxsters in southern climates that somehow migrated from the north (or were owned by people rich enough to have every option). Look for cars that don't sell. Then send a question email to the seller suggesting he could lower his asking price if he sold you the hardtop.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #6

I bought my top form a guy in Lake Wylie, SC last year. You may need to spend a little time, but I'm sure you will eventually find one. It took me about three months to find mine, but I wound up getting a super deal on eBay. I agree with the suggestion of contacting folks who are selling a car with a hard top. That's how I found several Miata hard tops.

You should also be willing to travel to pick up your top. A hard top is awkward and expensive to ship if you want to be sure it arrives undamaged. Most sellers don't want to deal with shipping, so if you are willing to show up at their door, pay cash and pick it up it will increase your chances of success. You may want to consider buying the attachment hardware (spin locks) in advance so that you will be prepared to pick up the top if you need to act quickly.

Here's an ad selling a Black Boxster with hard top in Richmond.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/car/402749155.html

Here's one in DC:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/car/409342450.html

You might want to see if one of them will sell the top without the car.

I understand Mike's comment about considering whether you need a hard top. The weather in Charlotte is similar to that in Richmond. It isn't a necessity, but it looks cool and it makes the car more comfortable and improves visibility in the winter. You don't really need it, but you don't really need a Boxster either.

Good luck with you search. If I see any tops in Richmond I'll pm you.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 08-30-2007 at 01:25 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #7

Guys,

Really appreciate your responses on how to tackle this issue.

mikefocke, great points and its true I should have considered it earlier or at a better time of the year, however having a garage and unsure (was actually expecting a rejection) if I was going to get accepted by Chapelhill I was not particurarly considering such an option.

I actually find the hardtop making the car great which is a nice addition to its real function - protect the top and overall the car from the winter as it sits outside.

I am already thinking more against it based on what you told me. Having an extra set of tires wont really help as my daily drive is less than 2 miles and it is highly unlikely I will be going to a trip over the winter (too busy with grad school).

Kevin, appreciate the feedback! I understand the overall experience will end up seem like a hussle rather and I might be regretting it while I am driving to pick up the hardtop from a potential buyer.............
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:59 PM   #8

When I found mine, I used a company Craters and Freighters. They picked it up from the seller, crated it up and shipped it to the paint shop where it was resprayed black. I got it from New Orleans LA to Charlotte NC in about four days from the call.

Ebay will be tough. I looked for 7 months EVERYDAY. Black is one of the more popular colors and usually went $1700 to $2200 with out shipping. If you are willing to repaint it, you may find one easier.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #9

Garage
C4 hard top

I found a 2002 C4 hard top locally. Now the question is will it fit 01 boxster?
Any thoughts and maybe place to find out?
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
A C4 top will not fit a 986.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #11

Search on eBay for "Porsche hard top". You'll find auctions with picture of both 911 (996) and Boxster (986) hard tops. The shapes and sizes look very different to me, and my first impression is that they are not interchangeable.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #12

I know you're looking for a black top, but I have a hardtop that is Arctic Silver if you haven't found a top yet, and would like to get one and paint it in black. It is in great condition. I'm in Southern California though, so you would need to arrange for shipping.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #13

I just saw one somewhere this weekend. Think it was the PCA classifieds. I'll post the link if I stumble on it again.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
I just saw one somewhere this weekend. Think it was the PCA classifieds. I'll post the link if I stumble on it again.
This is an old post from fall 07. Does OP still need one in Feb.? If so, there was one on roadfly (terrible forum for boxsters btw) for $1100.

chaud - I would be intersted in that artic silver one if it weren't almost spring. But maybe if you give me a really good deal ha ha. What do you want for it?

saaber is offline   Reply With Quote