Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007, 08:24 PM   #1

new mirrors for 99

hello everyone,

I just bought a set of carbon fiber mirrors to go on my 99.

Of course they came without directions.

The new mirrors are only the shells. So, I need to insert my mirrors, along with motors. then mount the mirrors on the car. The mirrors look like they sit on the hinged part that is attached to the car.

Any help???

Thanks
Gary

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #2

I cannot be constructive to your cause because I do not know anything about the 986 mirrors... But, I can try to talk to you out of it before you do it. Your car looks incredible all black and the faux CF mirrors will break it up and make it look like an asian import.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the comment on the carbon fiber mirrors.

Personally i have not made up my mind on the CF mirrors either, i figure i will put them on see what i think and either like them or not.

The mirrors are always reversible and can be taken off if i dont like the look.

You are I are basically neighbors, I'm in Baton Rouge, the next time i come your way I'll let you know.

Back to the subject at hand.

The mirrors are real carbon fiber and are in the same shape as oem, I dont want anyone to assume i am sticking universal cf mirrors on my car. I think if i did that after all the work i have done to her, you guys could commit me.

If anyone else has an opinion of the possible placement cf mirrors on my car speak your mind, but if someone doesnt point me in the right direction on installing these things the only time you'll see them on a car is after i sell them on some auction site.

Have a great day,
Gary

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:03 AM   #4

If the carbon mirrors are the same size as the stock, they would not seem to offer any aerodynamic advantage, and they cannot save any weight to speak of. IMO, I would leave the stock mirrors on, have fun,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote