Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 01:04 AM   #1

Onboard computer question...

Recently I got my onboard computer activated (thanks to Mr. Tool Pants). However, since I got no stem switch for it, I initially planned to add a dip-switch, using Pelican Parts DIY hack. But since I'm only really interested in one function -- the remaining gas miles -- I'm wondering if it's perhaps possible to switch thru the functions using the PST2 tool (or whatever it's called). As of now, it's parked at the outside temperature, a function that I'm not interested in. When it was activated, I tried to get it set right away to the gas miles entry, but somehow ran out of time.

Any help appreciated,

-- peer

Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It costs $50 to install the switch and buy all the part, it is a fairly simple hack. I would just install the switch, also if your battery ever dies it will reset to the Outside Temperature, so you could be visiting the Porsche dealers PST2 often.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
blkboxster

i dont mean to hack the thread but can somebody show me the link so i can activate my on board computer? do i even have 1????

thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #4

Gas millage and stuff like that will work? I tough there was only the Outside Temp really working.. where in the wiring do you need to put that switch? if it's not located behind the panel maby you can hide it at the passendger's feet or something like that?
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #5

Rick3000 wrote:
> It costs $50 to install the switch and buy all the part,
> it is a fairly simple hack.

Hopefully you are correct that this is a simple hack, but to quote Yoseif Whiteson, who has a very comprehensive web-page on this mod: "This is not a simple hack, so make sure you know what you're doing."

-- peer
Old 08-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #6

Blkboxster wrote:
> an somebody show me the link so i can activate my on board computer?

This is where I initially found it:
http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/

-- peer
Old 08-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You have to get your OBC activated by someone with a PST2, namely a dealer.

I now what Yosief said, but in my opinion it was pretty easy, but I am somewhat technically inclined, but it really isn't that hard.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #8

Yoseif was one of our local owners. Some of the stuff on his site comes from me or info I got from Peter Smith and gave to Yoseif. Some of it is outdated, from 5 or 6 years ago. The funny thing is when Yoseif did this himself it did not work. I took him over to Peter to get it to work. Some of the wiring harnesses he made fell apart because of poor crimps

Doing the OBC retrofit with a switch is about as easy as it gets. Back then the local owners got together and retrofitted a bunch of cars at the same time.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:45 AM   #9

Rick3000 wrote:
> You have to get your OBC activated by someone with a PST2, namely a dealer.

As I said, Tool Pants already activated it for me. "All" I now need to do is to get that switch somehow wired & installed. Any takers in Bay Area who could give me a hand and/or supervise me?

-- peer
Old 08-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #10

The cleanest way to do the OBC hack is to buy the 4 stalk lever setup from Porsche (it's actually cheaper than the 3 stalk). I ended up just taking the 4th stalk off of the new setup and mounting it on my existing 3 stalk. The DVD's that Tool Pants sells give simple straight forward instructions on how to make the harness and what parts are needed. I did the OBC hack at the same time that I did the Carrera instrument cluster swap. The Carrera cluster already had the OBC activated, plus the graphical dot matrix display is ultra cool. I can toggle through all the features, outside temp, miles to empty, avg. mph, avg. mpg, etc.

If you only do the OBC hack, it shouldn't take more than an hour or two to complete.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
The cleanest way to do the OBC hack is to buy the 4 stalk lever setup... If you only do the OBC hack, it shouldn't take more than an hour or two to complete.
Hi,

+1 on the 4-stalk setup. Any 986 or 996 unit will work. I got one from LA Porsche Dismantlers from a 996 for $100 - incl. S/H and it came with all the surrounding Trim and Escutcheons. Like Thumper, I just transplanted the 4th Stalk and the Rubber Dust Cover (for the two Stalks to slip through) from the 996 to my existing 3-Stalk unit. Then, I sold the remainder of the 996 unit as a 3-Stalk replacement on eBay for $135 + S/H. So even after buying the VW Molex Wiring for the Harness, I still netted a $25 profit on the whole deal. I swapped the 3-Spoke Steering Wheel for the existing 4-Spoke one at the same time and the whole process took me under 45 min.

Another large advantage in doing the 4th Stalk mod is that it becomes a non-issue and actually a Plus if you ever sell the Car. The Buyer will simply think the Car has the OBC option - no discussion.

With the Dash mounted Switch, the potential Buyer knows (and worries if he's like me) that someone hacked into the Wiring Harness. I have bought several cars where the wiring had been previously butchered, so for me this would be a real Negative. And while it may not prevent me from buying the car, it would certainly constrain me from offering Top Dollar. Something to consider for just a few extra bucks (no extra $ if you can do what I did). Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 08-20-2007 at 05:24 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote