Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #1

Interesting new Porsche policy on trans replacement

So I recently took my Box to HBL in northern virginia for some last minute warranty repairs before the CPO warranty runs out at the end of the month. I mentioned a few long standing issues which they could never seem to replicate and one was a 2nd gear problem where it would sometimes pop out when it was cold.

Basically there was general difficulty with engaging first in the winter but popping out of second was a problem that started as a rare occurrence in wintertime but slowly got worse to where it would happen in the summer until warmed up and sometimes even then.

To my surprise they were able to replicate the problem (it doesn't happen all the time but I feel I always have to be prepared now). My service advisor told me they had to work things out with Porsche on swapping in a new transmission.

Well, now I've heard from HBL that within the last 90 days Porsche has started a new policy where they want transmissions to be repaired rather than replaced. They want all dealers to get this 15,000 dollar press for some bearing or something inside the transmission. Anyway, HBL will likely find an alternate press to do the work or just find a tranny shop that can do whatever it is thats needed instead. I rescheduled for next Monday which is like 2 days before the warranty expires! whew... cutting it close... I was told Porsche won't honor the CPO warranty if the warranty work starts after expiration of the warranty.

Anyway, its interesting that they want things fixed now, I wonder if this will spread to engines as well?

trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #2

Hi,

Already has...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Already has...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Jim what do you mean by that,assuming that this is in response to the poster wondering if Porsche will repair the engines? I thought that once a IMS fails too much stuff is broken in the engine to even making the cost of repairing it worth it?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #4

Porsche wants realers to repair engines and trans now

and not ship them back to the factory for a rebuild. Dumb policy, if you ask me, just as shipping them back to Germany was dumb. Far better to ship them to a depot on each coast (since the majority of P-car owners are on the coasts) that can specialize in rebuilds, will have the tools and the parts and can build up the expertise. Asking each dealer to develop the tool complement and the expertise is not wise IMHO.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #5

It would seem that given their vintage, 986 and 996 motors are now being repaired at the dealer level rather than full replacement by the factory, unless hounded on the issue to do so.

I am a bit suprised that this is happening already with the 987 based cars. I think Porsche did a bit of a dis-service to its dealers with how they handled the 986/996 failures by simply saying "ok, collect the old broken ones and we will send you new replacements" rather than allowing the service techs a chance to learn how to fix the motors. I also think Porsche can't really afford to run this type of program forever. Maybe for the first few years to keep the "product" validated (who likes spending 40-50K and then learn you need a new motor in a few months).
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #6

Thanks for the post. Very informative.
Mine is still in with the same problem except that 2nd was popping out constantly and 1st could not engage...
Had it towed this morning. It is CPO so Porsche paid for the truck.
I got a voice mail today that said there is nothing wrong with the transmission but that there was a broken connection plate.
I find that hard to believe as the 2nd grind when cold problem you allude to was present before this failure. I look forward to hearing more tomorrow.
I have never had such a terrible failure in any car. Not a good thing for Porsche or for me. If only there was a substitute...

rdynamix is offline   Reply With Quote