View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
trogdor

Interesting new Porsche policy on trans replacement

So I recently took my Box to HBL in northern virginia for some last minute warranty repairs before the CPO warranty runs out at the end of the month. I mentioned a few long standing issues which they could never seem to replicate and one was a 2nd gear problem where it would sometimes pop out when it was cold.

Basically there was general difficulty with engaging first in the winter but popping out of second was a problem that started as a rare occurrence in wintertime but slowly got worse to where it would happen in the summer until warmed up and sometimes even then.

To my surprise they were able to replicate the problem (it doesn't happen all the time but I feel I always have to be prepared now). My service advisor told me they had to work things out with Porsche on swapping in a new transmission.

Well, now I've heard from HBL that within the last 90 days Porsche has started a new policy where they want transmissions to be repaired rather than replaced. They want all dealers to get this 15,000 dollar press for some bearing or something inside the transmission. Anyway, HBL will likely find an alternate press to do the work or just find a tranny shop that can do whatever it is thats needed instead. I rescheduled for next Monday which is like 2 days before the warranty expires! whew... cutting it close... I was told Porsche won't honor the CPO warranty if the warranty work starts after expiration of the warranty.

Anyway, its interesting that they want things fixed now, I wonder if this will spread to engines as well?
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote