Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
Registered User
 
rdancd816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coppell, TX
Posts: 317
Drive-Up ATM - 1, Boxster - 0

My son drove up to a local ATM the other day to get some cash. There was a guy there servicing the machine and he decided to extend the drawer in "service mode". It extended an additional 12 inches right into the drivers' side door of my Boxster! This thing left a 9 inch crease and a paint scraped dimple on my car! I am going for estimates tomorrow but I'm sure this won't be cheap. Bank has agreed to pay all damages and rental car costs. I just had no idea this could happen! Just a "heads-up" for all you cash starved Boxster owners! Beware of the ATM collision risk! After I get the estimates I'll post pics. Too weird!
__________________
"97 Boxster" Guards Red, Coppell, TX 36,500 miles
2010 Mazda CX-7 AWD, Turbo, Grand Touring
rdancd816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Wow,theres not too much that you can do about that one. It's good to see that the bank excepted that it was their fault and they will pay the price. Good luck with the repairs.
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
My better half is continually surprised when I point out to her that the bumpers and fenders of her car are acquiring new "mystery" scratches on the driver's side, color-yellow. She loves to use the drive-up atm but seems to not know the corners of the car too well, bless her heart.

I periodically try to buff out and re-touch as much as I can and she continues to add these unconventional cosmetic alterations. I'm just glad she doesn't drive my P-car.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
My better half is continually surprised when I point out to her that the bumpers and fenders of her car are acquiring new "mystery" scratches on the driver's side, color-yellow. She loves to use the drive-up atm but seems to not know the corners of the car too well, bless her heart.

I periodically try to buff out and re-touch as much as I can and she continues to add these unconventional cosmetic alterations. I'm just glad she doesn't drive my P-car.
funny thing is that they don't even mind those scratches and bruises, well at least my mom doesn't, nor does my sister.
and on top of that, they wash the cars like once a year....so i guess it kinda doesn't really make any difference lol

jsut weird.
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
Registered User
 
rdancd816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coppell, TX
Posts: 317
We P-car owners are too vane! I won't even leave a water spot on my car! The damage to my door drives me nuts, as I keep the Boxster as "perfect" as I can at all times. To have an ATM dent the car is just too aggravating...I want it fixed -yesterday! The good news is my wife won't drive the Box, meaning it's the perfect vehicle for me. Her Escape is full of minor dings and scrapes and she has no problem with that at all. Perspective? ( BTW - no disrespect to female Boxster drivers!) Whew!
__________________
"97 Boxster" Guards Red, Coppell, TX 36,500 miles
2010 Mazda CX-7 AWD, Turbo, Grand Touring
rdancd816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surf City, NC
Posts: 1,079
Hey guys, in the grand scheme of things they really are just cars.

I've never forgiven myself for raising my voice to my first wife when she dinged my then brand new 914-6. Only time I ever got mad at her. I think I apologized later, but when she died it left me unable to ever really make it up to her.

I'd hate a ding in the Box, but I'll bite my tongue if current wife gets one. I won't carry another regret to my grave.
__________________
Mike
04 Boxster S - Basalt/Savanna, 6sp, Carrera lites, hardtop
70 914-6 - Black over tan, original/stock
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Registered User
 
rdancd816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coppell, TX
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
Hey guys, in the grand scheme of things they really are just cars.

I've never forgiven myself for raising my voice to my first wife when she dinged my then brand new 914-6. Only time I ever got mad at her. I think I apologized later, but when she died it left me unable to ever really make it up to her.

I'd hate a ding in the Box, but I'll bite my tongue if current wife gets one. I won't carry another regret to my grave.
Well said - they ARE just cars, albeit special ones IMHO! But when my son returned from the ATM with the damage I told him "don't sweat it, it's just a machine, we'll fix it." The next day he had to leave for school, a drive from Denver to the Naval Academy in a '98 Subaru, as you relate, it's all about perspective - thanks for sharing!
__________________
"97 Boxster" Guards Red, Coppell, TX 36,500 miles
2010 Mazda CX-7 AWD, Turbo, Grand Touring
rdancd816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 874
If I'm honest, drive-up ATMs are challenging for me. I feel that the configuration of the yellow pillars and iffy-proximity of the keypad really are overcome best by pulling up to within four feet of it, then getting out of the car to do my thing.
__________________
http://i7.tinypic.com/24ovngk.jpghttp://i7.tinypic.com/24ow0id.jpg

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 25
ATM, Porsche and women

ATM + women = money
money + Porsche = women
ATM + porsche/women = LESS money
Esoril 540iT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 939
Hold up... something in the ATM actually came out and rammed your car? Or did your son run into something that was left sticking out??
__________________
2001 Boxster - Grey on Grey
1969 911T Targa - 'Stinky'

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surf City, NC
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdancd816
Well said - they ARE just cars, albeit special ones IMHO! But when my son returned from the ATM with the damage I told him "don't sweat it, it's just a machine, we'll fix it." The next day he had to leave for school, a drive from Denver to the Naval Academy in a '98 Subaru, as you relate, it's all about perspective - thanks for sharing!
God bless you and your son. He could be be harms way any time. It just ain't worth recriminations. It is about perspective. And about life and love. I know combat. and I know loss. I hope none of you do more than I.
__________________
Mike
04 Boxster S - Basalt/Savanna, 6sp, Carrera lites, hardtop
70 914-6 - Black over tan, original/stock
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surf City, NC
Posts: 1,079
Let me please say one more thing. I do not mean to be sentimental, Life is precious.

I appreciate sooooo many things that combat veterans understand that few are credited with understanding. However you may feel about current combat ops, please support the boots on the ground. They are somebody's sons and daughters. God bless them all!!!! Go Navy. Go Marines. Go Army. Go US military! And God Bless their loved ones. The unsung heroes.
__________________
Mike
04 Boxster S - Basalt/Savanna, 6sp, Carrera lites, hardtop
70 914-6 - Black over tan, original/stock
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:31 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 37
This post is kind of funny, in that last summer I had the exactly the same thing happen to my. At least I was in my old beater grand am at the time. I roll up to the ATM and was getting my card out and felt the car move. I thought that I had left it in gear and rolled into something at first. Then the guy stuck his head around the corner and seen what he had done.
__________________
2000 Zenith Blue Boxster S
blackkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:24 AM   #14
Registered User
 
rdancd816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coppell, TX
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkatt
This post is kind of funny, in that last summer I had the exactly the same thing happen to my. At least I was in my old beater grand am at the time. I roll up to the ATM and was getting my card out and felt the car move. I thought that I had left it in gear and rolled into something at first. Then the guy stuck his head around the corner and seen what he had done.
That's exactly what happened here! The only difference was the guy who looked around the machine saw what had happened and took off! My son got the plates and the cops got him. Seems kind of stupid to run from this type of incident. Anyway all's well as the ATM company has agreed to pay all damages.
__________________
"97 Boxster" Guards Red, Coppell, TX 36,500 miles
2010 Mazda CX-7 AWD, Turbo, Grand Touring
rdancd816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:24 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
Let me please say one more thing. I do not mean to be sentimental, Life is precious.

I appreciate sooooo many things that combat veterans understand that few are credited with understanding. However you may feel about current combat ops, please support the boots on the ground. They are somebody's sons and daughters. God bless them all!!!! Go Navy. Go Marines. Go Army. Go US military! And God Bless their loved ones. The unsung heroes.
No love for the Air Force? What gives?

rdancd816, tell your son not to take his upperclassmen too seriously and always be nice to his classmates, no matter how badly they are treated by either the upperclassmen or their fellow classmates. The stress is just a game, but the friendships are priceless.
iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #16
Registered User
 
rdancd816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coppell, TX
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyadesk
No love for the Air Force? What gives?

rdancd816, tell your son not to take his upperclassmen too seriously and always be nice to his classmates, no matter how badly they are treated by either the upperclassmen or their fellow classmates. The stress is just a game, but the friendships are priceless.
He loves it at Annapolis...actually he IS upper class as he's a 2nd class (Junior)Mid now. He will be the training Sergent for his Company's incoming Plebes. Wants to be a Marine Aviator. Thanks for the kind words.
__________________
"97 Boxster" Guards Red, Coppell, TX 36,500 miles
2010 Mazda CX-7 AWD, Turbo, Grand Touring
rdancd816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:31 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surf City, NC
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyadesk
No love for the Air Force? What gives?
Did not mean to short anyone. I just got thinking USAF, Coasties, Reserves, Nat'l Guard, ANG, where to stop? And then summed it up US Military. One of my best bosses was an Air Force colonel and many good friends in AF.
__________________
Mike
04 Boxster S - Basalt/Savanna, 6sp, Carrera lites, hardtop
70 914-6 - Black over tan, original/stock
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,518
70Sixter, thanks for the words of advice. As a newlywed ( 9 months now ) I sure do appreciate it !

SD987, I have not pulled up to a drive up ATM in a car in years. Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but I always get out of the car and walk up. Keep in mind I live in Chicago, and I also do this in the winter. My cars have always been either too high or too low to use the drive up. I don't have to worry about messing up the car, and it would be a lot harder to sneak up on someone that way ( I will pull up to the ATM on the bike, though ).

rdancd816, that is the most bizarre, random thing I have ever heard of ! Glad the bank is covering the repairs…

Nick
__________________
*
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/DSC03717.jpg

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page