Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2004, 02:46 PM   #1
Forum Contributor

Smile I just got my Boxster, Do you wave?

I just wanted to say Hi. I just got my Boxster 5 months ago and I love it. I have already had it at PCA Drivers ed and autocrossing. It is always passing the hi power porsche. I do have a question? How many people wave when they see another Porsche or Boxster?

92 968 - Husband's Car
Boxstergirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 03:08 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
i dont yet -- simply because i only took delivery of my boxster a few weeks ago -- dont know what the protocol is yet.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:54 PM   #3

Welcome to the group and enjoy driving it. Got mine in December 2003 already put 10,000 miles on it. It's my daily driver and I have used it even in the snow, quite an experience but it got me where I wanted to go. I enjoyed it immensely in the spring and now in the summer the love affair just continues. It is so easy to do over 80 in a jiffy that is dangerous. When it comes to driveablitliy I've never owned anything as exciting and rewarding as this car. The Boxster is meant to be driven hard. What is your opinion of how the Boxster compares to the 968 or even the 951?
Old 07-30-2004, 03:54 PM   #4

I always wave. Be it a 914 or a carrera Gt. Don't be a snob and not wave. If I wave at other porsche owners and they don't wave back I think snob.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 05:32 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
i had a 951, and i have to say (no surprise) that my boxster S is all around much better. Although, i will tell you....the 951 will wax 99 and below boxsters. I have done it. They just have some nice pick up and i LOVE the styling of the 951 and the 968. For an 86, it was a fantastic car!
Old 07-30-2004, 07:44 PM   #6

Hi

The traditional Porsche greeting is 'the flash'. Sometimes I wave, but mostly I flash headlights.

This tradition goes back to 356 days, but even us upstart water cooled cars can flash.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 07:02 AM   #7
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pilot2519j
Welcome to the group and enjoy driving it. Got mine in December 2003 already put 10,000 miles on it. It's my daily driver and I have used it even in the snow, quite an experience but it got me where I wanted to go. I enjoyed it immensely in the spring and now in the summer the love affair just continues. It is so easy to do over 80 in a jiffy that is dangerous. When it comes to driveablitliy I've never owned anything as exciting and rewarding as this car. The Boxster is meant to be driven hard. What is your opinion of how the Boxster compares to the 968 or even the 951?
I haven't decided if I am going to try it in the snow. I know I will be very sad in the winter seeing it sit in the garage. I do agree it is meant to be driven and I have already put 5000 miles on in a few months. I love to autocross it and take it to PCA drives ed. I do like it better than the 951 I had. In fact I did pass a few 951 at watkins glen. They may have me in the straight a way where they had TURBO IDIS. BUt I alway catch them in the curves. Then they were forced to let me by. My husband as a 968 and of course he loves his car. He did get to drive my Boxster at Mid Ohio and he loved it. THe difference was 968 had more power but the boxster handles great in stock form. He now defends my Boxster when guys put it down.
92 968 - Husband's Car
Old 07-31-2004, 07:05 AM   #8
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam
I always wave. Be it a 914 or a carrera Gt. Don't be a snob and not wave. If I wave at other porsche owners and they don't wave back I think snob.
I do agree with your statement. I get so upset when people don't wave back. When people do wave I get so excited. I know the rules of driving a Porsche and they say you wave B/C we are like a family who loves their cars. Thanks for waving
92 968 - Husband's Car
Old 07-31-2004, 10:50 AM   #9

I did not know I was supposed to wave until another boxster owner waved at me the second day I had the car and then I started doing it.

In fact, I did it this morning and thought the guy couldn't possibly see me with our car's proximity to one another, but alas, he did and waved back. Seems to be a lot of comaradare among boxster owners.

One other observation... people stare at me all the time in this car. At first, they stare at the car, then start looking at the driver. What I love most is when the little boys pound on the side window of their mom's minivan or dad's sedan with their palms and then press their noses against the glass and watch for as long as they can. I did that too and it reminds me of my childhood dreams of owning a Porsche one day.

I always say the same thing to them, even though I'm alone in the car and I know they can't hear me...

"The cycle begins again! Keep dreaming young man. One day you'll be old enough and have enough saved up to buy one better than this."
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:30 PM   #10
b0xt0La

I drive my Boxster in the winter. I have Blizzaks on all wheels. The car handles very well, I used to drive by hondas that could barely move in a snowy roads.
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by Alienz
I drive my Boxster in the winter. I have Blizzaks on all wheels. The car handles very well, I used to drive by hondas that could barely move in a snowy roads.
I used to drive before my Boxster S a 1988 Audi S-4 and 2001 Audi S-4 Quattro. In the snow and in the wet they will outhandle anything. What I meant regarding the snow adventure is that the Boxster has to be driven carefully in the snow, ie low clearance, high perforamnce tires and so on. I had owned a VW bug and that car was pretty good in the snow I rationalized that the Boxster even though it does not have the same distribution of wt over the rear wheels as the VW had it would do fine. I did purchase a full set snow tires(Continentals) with alloys(17") from the dealer and so far so good. When driving in the snow I just have to exercise care with the accelerator and allow myself extra space. In conclusion can it be driven in the winter the answer is yes. Is it just as good as an Audi Quattro , the answer is no. I think I was more worried of other idiots hitting me that anything else. The kamikazee SUV crowd. I fully intend in using it again in the winter. I can't justify having a car like this and relagating it to the garage if the weather is not perfect. I don't think that Porsche's design criteria for this car was a clear blue sky. If that was so they would all be garage queens as my service manager at Silver Star calls those cars that get used only in the summer.
Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:37 AM   #12

I don't wave but I live in Detroit the only time we lift a hand is to flip someone off
Automon
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by RandallNeighbour
One other observation... people stare at me all the time in this car. At first, they stare at the car, then start looking at the driver. What I love most is when the little boys pound on the side window of their mom's minivan or dad's sedan with their palms and then press their noses against the glass and watch for as long as they can. I did that too and it reminds me of my childhood dreams of owning a Porsche one day.
I didn't expect the amount of attention this car gets. Sure it's a Porsche, but there are tons of Boxsters around. I thought I'd maybe get Corvette levels of attention, but it's much more than that. I've had the damndest conversations with strangers while sitting at lights with the top down.
F1CAR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:13 PM   #14

I always wave to every Porsche.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:42 AM   #15
Forum Member

Wave is universal

I'm in Australia and just bought a '98 Boxster. The first Porsche driver that went by waved. Cool. So now I always wave too.
Frank_Oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:32 AM   #16

Here in Switzerland I always wave too or flash light depends on situation. I noticed that approx 50% wave back or wave first with probably more waving if they own an older Porsche (more likely to be fanatics) and less if they are just posers who bought it like any other car...(I'll say the typical 996 cabrio tiptro owner...but that's just my observation...)...

But the REAL question here is: do you wave at the Cayenne?
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #17
porsche986

waving...

Hi, i havent been on here in ages!
Good to see lots of new members and lots more boxsters...
also nice to see a white boxster.. i never see them here in the uk.

Back to the topic.. yep i always wave and flash, i mean its nice to let other boxster drivers know hey you have one hell of a nice car! last weeks i saw a good looking girl driving one up by kielder forrest on those country roads and i thought i was the ONLY car on the road and never expected to se another car let alone a boxster. Anyways nice flash and wave both ways always welcomed...

keep it up! its gets other road users pissed off! check your rear view mirror... lol HEHE
Old 08-22-2004, 09:41 AM   #18
Forum Contributor

Thanks for all your replys Yesterday I was driving home and I saw a 944 I decided to wave and he looked and kept on going. Normally the older Porsches wave and the newer ones keep on going. When someone looks they usually smile if not wave. Maybe I was not looking that cute yeasterday
92 968 - Husband's Car
Old 08-22-2004, 10:19 AM   #19

I wave or flash all other Porsches, except for the Cayennes. The jury is still out regarding the acceptability of flashing them, but early returns do not seem promising.
I suspect a large number of them would think you were signalling that they had a low tire, or maybe there was a speed trap up ahead somewhere ...
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 11:01 AM   #20
porsche986

everyone boxster driver always flashes me back... i only flash boxster drivers, and a thumbs up for th ferrari 360 spider....
i agree with F1CAR4ME the boxster gets lots of attention. I have also stopped at many lights and people just walk up and start talking.. The boxster gets a lot of respect.. its a great car..

lol ronzi.. i think your spot on correct about the porsche jeep