Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #1

Switching to leather

I just came home tonight to fine a nice package waiting for me. I've always been bummed that I didn't order the full leather interior. I can't retrofit THAT option, but I can do a few things that make it come closer.

So I've been checking with recyclers/junkyards for a while now for three pieces--the instrument cowl and the two pieces that frame the radio/center stack area. I figured that those stitched pieces would spruce up the interior enough to make me happy.

Porsche wanted like $600 for the new cowl and around $500 EACH for the center stack pieces. While I'm obviously fine with a certain amount of frivolous spending, that was a bit much. I got these pieces for less than $600 total.

But, I had a little surprise. These pieces must have come off of a Cayman, as the cowl has that one bump in the center. I've never liked the look of that, but I guess heck, why not? If I ever get around to putting the Cayman vents on that I bought ages ago, I guess it won't be the lone Cayman swap on the car at least.

I'll probably throw on the center stack pieces tomorrow--that looks really simple--but I'm not sure about the cowl, as it looks like I'll have to remove the gauges to get to that, and I'm not sure how handy I'll be feeling with the jet lag...

Old 08-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
bmussatti

Eslai, good job and find! I love having the full leather interior.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #3

Thanks, I got the center stack pieces on (took a while, had to figure out how to unmount the Reus subwoofer in the passenger foot well in order to get at the screws). That was pretty easy--two screws on each side then pull straight forward and the piece pops off.

I'm now having a very hard time getting the gauge cluster out. There's a piece right above the steering wheel column that supposedly I have to pop off to get at the screws for the gauge cluster.

Well, I can't get that piece to pop off for the life of me. Damnit.

Has anyone done this? I could use some pointers.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #4

Photos of the center stack pieces swap. I wonder if the guys at the dealership would notice the fact that I've got the vinyl dash with the leather center stack sides.

One torx screw to remove the carpet piece, then another pair of smaller torx screws holding the center stack side piece on. Sorry, my torx drivers aren't labeled and I can't remember which # they are.

Leather on the left:

And in this one, leather on the right:

One half done:

Final:

Old 08-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #5

the full leather makes a bigger diference than i ever thought it would, good luck on future upgrades.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
thats relly nice man, i seriously didnt think it would make any difference, but sure does look nicer, wow.
good job, and looks like you got yourself a good deal

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote