View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
eslai

Switching to leather

I just came home tonight to fine a nice package waiting for me. I've always been bummed that I didn't order the full leather interior. I can't retrofit THAT option, but I can do a few things that make it come closer.

So I've been checking with recyclers/junkyards for a while now for three pieces--the instrument cowl and the two pieces that frame the radio/center stack area. I figured that those stitched pieces would spruce up the interior enough to make me happy.

Porsche wanted like $600 for the new cowl and around $500 EACH for the center stack pieces. While I'm obviously fine with a certain amount of frivolous spending, that was a bit much. I got these pieces for less than $600 total.

But, I had a little surprise. These pieces must have come off of a Cayman, as the cowl has that one bump in the center. I've never liked the look of that, but I guess heck, why not? If I ever get around to putting the Cayman vents on that I bought ages ago, I guess it won't be the lone Cayman swap on the car at least.

I'll probably throw on the center stack pieces tomorrow--that looks really simple--but I'm not sure about the cowl, as it looks like I'll have to remove the gauges to get to that, and I'm not sure how handy I'll be feeling with the jet lag...