986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   decided to switch it up a little (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/12605-decided-switch-up-little.html)

silverboxter 08-11-2007 08:47 AM

dj - that looks hot! great pics

986rgt 08-11-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm750
I've considered painting my turbo twists black several times, but I too, dislike the illusion of "too much tire" from the lack of contrast between wheel and tire. The twists are super easy to clean, which I love.

Patrick

You wanted turbo's in black? here's mine, I also went the yeller callipers. Love the contrast. As for PCCB's, if I could afford em, and they would fit, I would have em, buuuuut I can't, they won't, so I have yellow paint!

Steve
http://lh6.google.com/986rgt/RirLy8f...%20%283%29.JPG

bmussatti 08-11-2007 03:06 PM

DJ, good work as always!

eslai 08-11-2007 04:34 PM

Looks so much better without the red pinstripes! I agree with one of the posters here though--a polished lip would look pretty badass.

As for rust, I do the same as Grizzly--clean everything, drive around the block, wipe out the wheel wells. But yeah, I only have five spokes, and especially now with the Cayman S wheels, they're very easy to keep clean. Yours...not so much. :)

Gary in BR 08-11-2007 05:06 PM

i love the yellow, i may be motivated to do something to mine, after 9 years the black is looking a little bad.

Keep up the good work.

NickCats 08-13-2007 11:23 AM

Good job, DJ !

Did you get tires yet ? Are you racing with us this weekend ?

Nick

djomlas 08-13-2007 08:12 PM

no i didnt get tires yet, but ill see how bald tires perform hehe.
imma be there sunday and rip em up hehe

Dr. Kill 08-14-2007 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
no i didnt get tires yet, but ill see how bald tires perform hehe.
imma be there sunday and rip em up hehe

They aren't bald. They've just turned into slicks - should work great! ;)

djomlas 08-14-2007 06:26 AM

thats what i keep telling myself heheh
but new ones should be on pretty darn soon

986Roadster 08-14-2007 07:32 AM

Sweeetttt Yellowwww is the way to go. I love yellow calipers. I'm gonna re-paint mine next week. I bought Grey decals to put on. So i thought i'd give the calipers a fresh coat of YELLOW paint.

Sweet kar dj!

986Roadster 08-14-2007 07:34 AM

OHH and right now i have white decals, but they don't look good on yellow. doesn't stand out...you can barely even see the white decals. That's why i'm puting grey decals...should look good..i hope!

Dr. Kill 08-14-2007 07:55 AM

I am inspired. Is there some DIY guide to doing this, or is it just as simple as:

1) remove wheel
2) cover disk
3) paint caliper with special paint

Grizzly 08-14-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
I am inspired. Is there some DIY guide to doing this, or is it just as simple as:

1) remove wheel
2) cover disk
3) paint caliper with special paint

Close. You missed steps 2(a), 2(b), 2(c) and 2(d)

2(a) - clean caliper
2(b) - clean caliper really well
2(c) - clean caliper really, really well
2(d) - clean caliper again

djomlas 08-14-2007 09:42 AM

decals are on, i LOVE how this whole thing turned out.
i put them on last night, alnog with another 3 coats of yellow.

and as for how to paint them, just please make sure that you clean them really good, and when you think they are clean, then clean them 2 more times.
mask everything off relaly good, this is spraycan, so it will go everywhere, and use light coats, then when you think its yellow or any other color enough, do one heavy coat to get some gloss out of the color, which will also make for easier cleaning later on.
best way to cover the whole area around the caliper is to get a big garbage bag, cut it so that its one big sheet, and then in the middle make small cut, and then put it over the caliper, and since the bad is stretchy you can make just pull on it until you can slide it on the bottom covering everything but the caliper...kind of like when youre putting a rubber band over something, its small, but as you pull more it stretches over and when you let go it just tucks in under....i dunno if that makes sense, but try it, it worked great for me

heres a quick pic of decals on
http://i16.tinypic.com/62dudsz.jpg

Dr. Kill 08-14-2007 10:21 AM

Looks great! Now I have to find some time to do mine.

blinkwatt 08-14-2007 10:30 AM

Pics, we need pics.

djomlas 08-14-2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Pics, we need pics.

look at my last post, i put a picture up