Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Got back from a 3300 mile road trip...

I went out to Albuquerque from Chicago two weeks ago, driving the Boxster, and spent a week there. It was a 17.5 hour drive, which I did in 2 days. I've done this drive in many different cars and an SUV pulling a trailer full of sport bikes, and I have to say the trip was so much better in the Boxster. The car is awesome.

I set the cruise to 82mph (speed limits are 75 once you get to Oklahoma) and the car ran fine. I was a bit worried driving that far but I had not one problem. It ran smoothly, was pretty quiet at that speed, and got pretty good gas mileage. I averaged 28.3 mpg on the entire trip and had the A/C running 85% of the time (it was damn hot in OK and TX).

One complaint I do have about the car is that when the re-circulation is on but the AC is off the recirc only stays on for 3-5 minutes before opening up the fresh air again. I understand why the engineers designed it that way, but I wish they hadn't.

3300 miles in a week. I'm giving the car a break now that I'm back and letting her rest.

BTW, this is my 505th post. Anyone from New Mexico knows what 505 is.

Here are a few pics:

1. Approaching St Louis on I-55. You can see the Arch in the middle behind the tree.

2. I stayed at a friend's house for a few days. She has a ranch and I helped out to earn my keep. That's me throwing hay bales from the trailer.

3. One of her horses loved my car. She's got good taste in automobiles.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
Pat

You wrote, "One complaint I do have about the car is that when the re-circulation is on but the AC is off the recirc only stays on for 3-5 minutes before opening up the fresh air again. I understand why the engineers designed it that way, but I wish they hadn't."

Why would they design it like that? Never heard of that in any car before.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
You wrote, "One complaint I do have about the car is that when the re-circulation is on but the AC is off the recirc only stays on for 3-5 minutes before opening up the fresh air again. I understand why the engineers designed it that way, but I wish they hadn't."

Why would they design it like that? Never heard of that in any car before.

When the recirc is on the car humidity goes up, and the windows can fog up more easily. That's why it's only on for a few minutes. While the AC is on the system pulls moisture from the cabin so the recirc can stay on.

I wanted to keep the recirc on because the air outside was a lot hotter than inside, but I didn't want my AC running constantly.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #4

Something about a green Boxster with the 18" Sport Classics just really appeals to me.

Yeah, I'm green with envy.

I'm getting ready for a 4000+ mile road trip this month as well, from Anchorage, AK to Texas for Boxstoberfest. I hope mine goes as well as yours did!

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
nice man.
i love how the horse is posing by your car, as if it got interrupted from taking something out of the trunk
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
bmussatti

Great picture, Chills! So you added exactly 1 HP on the trip!
Old 08-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #7

Nice, Chills, glad you had a successful trip. I did that St. Louis to Albuquerque (my parents live in Santa Fe half the year) leg myself as part of my move out to Cali from NY, and it was nice driving. I didn't do it in a Box though, which would have definitely been funner. New Mexico is such a weird state to drive in ain't it? There's Albuquerque/SF in the middle and jack **************** all around.

I'm curious, how did your Box run at high elevation? Some cars seem to get affected quite a bit.

I assume you were filling with 87-89, due to availability at that altitude.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #8

That's a LONG freakin' drive! I can't say my ass would be able to take that--I get whiny after just a drive up and down to San Francisco!

As for elevation, I can feel the difference in horsepower even when just driving out on I-8 to Viejas (Alpine). I think the sign said that it was about 2000 ft. MSL, which isn't a lot, but it definitely took some snort out of the car.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #9

I'd have been more impressed if you had done it on the ZX 10R...
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #10

Not a bad little trip!

In April I drove out to Phoenix from Austin (just over 1000 miles one way) and back. The Boxster ran great the whole way, and I averaged 31mpg for the whole trip.

I'll likely be driving out there again in December, for a cousin's wedding.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:41 AM   #11

Good luck, Schnell! My fiance and I have been talking about driving the AlCan some day. We love Alaska and try to get up there every couple of years.

DJ, she was actually licking the water off the car and I tried to take a pic of that, but she moved.

bmuss.... lol!! I can now claim 251hp.

SD987, yeah there's NOTHING in New Mexico. It's an empty state. I noticed a slight drop in gas mileage with the 90 octane at the pumps (IL has 93) but that's about it. I never accelerated real hard but I did take a spirited drive up North 14 from Edgewood to Madrid. The car ran great the entire time, even at the high altitudes. I didn't notice any difference in performance.

dmcutter, yeah right! I get sore after 30 minutes on the 10R. There have been many times I was riding it this year and I thought to myself, "I'd be much more comfortable in my Boxster," lol.

I'd definately do another road trip in this car.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #12

Chills,

Glad you had a great trip ! I was also suprised how well the Box is on a long distance trip when we went down to the Tail of the Dragon...

Welcome home

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Nice, i use to live in "Albuquerque" when i was a young teenager.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #14

I have a 2000 boxster same color green with the sport wheels.. I just made two weekend trips to NC from Fla. I did the same thing, set the cruise at 85 and hauled azz. the bulk of the traffic was goin' that fast!! What a classy ride in the boxster. I had the top down most of the way around atlanta in the evening, what a fun trip. And I averaged around 31mpg at 80-85 the whole way. After that, I dont think I could do the weekend trip in anything else....

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #15

BTW, I have a guest bedroom for anyone who is passing through the desert. I grew up on the east coast and the thought of driving 2hrs one way for anything was annoying. Now, I'll drive 8hrs to Denver for a weekend getaway. When I move back east in a few years, my horizons will definitely be larger!

As for the altitude, I've never felt my S at anything shy of 5,000 ft. I can't wait until Nationals at Mid Ohio in September!
iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyadesk
BTW, I have a guest bedroom for anyone who is passing through the desert. I grew up on the east coast and the thought of driving 2hrs one way for anything was annoying. Now, I'll drive 8hrs to Denver for a weekend getaway. When I move back east in a few years, my horizons will definitely be larger!

As for the altitude, I've never felt my S at anything shy of 5,000 ft. I can't wait until Nationals at Mid Ohio in September!

Nice, I liked that area. I worked a couple of contracts out there, I wish i had the boxster out there to go exploring....

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote